Thread: Take down pins

Feedback Score

Unhappy Take down pins

I started a thread on this a while back but it didn't turn up any ground. I have play where the pins are located. I looked around and found there are two sizes that are used. A .250 diameter pin and a .315 diameter pin. I think my DPMS lower uses the .250 and the receiver uses the.315. Does this make sense? I'm not convinced the upper is a DPMS, I think it was a put together. Question of the day is what can I do short of changing the receiver to get the play out and what concerns would there be in leaving it this way? Help me out guys...

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

More than likely the slop is at the back pin. The hole in the back lug of your upper is slightly oversized (maybe even egged out)so that it will pin onto ANY lower.
    The front one should be snug.
    Is that the case???

Feedback Score

You are right about the rear lug but the front looks good. I mic'd it and the pin and holes agree in size. There just seems to be more movement than I would feel good about. My Oly is tight as a drum.

Feedback Score

Also determined the upper is a model 1 sales, can't find anything on the receiver but I assume it is also. The lower is a DPMS..

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

In your other thread, some of the guys mentioned an item called a gapper.
    I think they meant Accuwedge. I use them if I don't have a tight fit.
    An accuwedge should tighten it up nicely. I don't think a little slop will hurt anything, but if you use a sling, you're putting alot of stress on that Aluminum.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ram2500 View Post
    Also determined the upper is a model 1 sales, can't find anything on the receiver but I assume it is also. The lower is a DPMS..
    The upper and the receiver are the one in the same. Hence 'upper receiver'.
    The DPMS lower is the 'lower receiver' (with serial #'s). The companies that make the uppers tend to make the rear hole a little oversized for a universal fit.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Here's what you want. I've seen them in black too. The black ones are softer rubber, the red ones are pretty hard. Alot of times you can get them at a gunshow for 3 for $10.
    ACCU - Wedge
    Buffer Tech - ACCU - Wedge
    SKU: AW1
    PRICE: 4.95

ACCU - Wedge Description
    The ACCU - Wedge™ is one of those essential parts of an AR-15 which, unfortunately, didn't come pre-installed. This component adds stability and eliminates any chance of unwanted noise from this particular weak point in an otherwise fine weapon. This is perhaps the least expensive of all the AR-15's many potential accessories, yet it adds immeasurably to the security and surety of the most basic element of any weapon... its assembly!
    Installation is a breeze. This well-designed component fits between the receiver and the trigger assembly housing and completely eliminates the play and "rattle" which is all too often associated with this otherwise modern rifle. One needs only proceed through the first step of a normal field stipping in order to install the Accu - Wedge™. It fits easily into the slot just below the assembly pin and ensures a very snug reassembly.The ACCU - Wedge™ is one of those essential parts of an AR-15 which, unfortunately, didn't come pre-installed. This component adds stability and eliminates any chance of unwanted noise from this particular weak point in an otherwise fine weapon. This is perhaps the least expensive of all the AR-15's many potential accessories, yet it adds immeasurably to the security and surety of the most basic element of any weapon... its assembly!

Installation is a breeze. This well-designed component fits between the receiver and the trigger assembly housing and completely eliminates the play and "rattle" which is all too often associated with this otherwise modern rifle. One needs only proceed through the first step of a normal field stipping in order to install the Accu - Wedge™. It fits easily into the slot just below the assembly pin and ensures a very snug reassembly.The ACCU - Wedge™ is one of those essential parts of an AR-15 which, unfortunately, didn't come pre-installed. This component adds stability and eliminates any chance of unwanted noise from this particular weak point in an otherwise fine weapon. This is perhaps the least expensive of all the AR-15's many potential accessories, yet it adds immeasurably to the security and surety of the most basic element of any weapon... its assembly!

Installation is a breeze. This well-designed component fits between the receiver and the trigger assembly housing and completely eliminates the play and "rattle" which is all too often associated with this otherwise modern rifle. One needs only proceed through the first step of a normal field stipping in order to install the Accu - Wedge™. It fits easily into the slot just below the assembly pin and ensures a very snug reassembly.v

Feedback Score

Thanks I will look into one.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

While you're doing inexpensive upgrades, look into the Gapper.
    If you flip the rifle over, you'll see the void between the pistol grip and the trigger guard.
    The Gapper is a small rubber plug that fills that void. If you carry the rifle alot, your middle finger knuckle will appreciate it.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i have a card-forge upper that looked too loose on the back pin. but after i assembled everything it was pretty darn tight and didn't need a "gapper".

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.