Piss me off, recurring AR feed problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Piss me off, recurring AR feed problem

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default Piss me off, recurring AR feed problem -=SOLVED=-

My AR will strip a round from a clip, fire the round and then seems to not eject the spent casing while trying to feed another round which ends up pinching the neck of the next round as it tries to feed into the chamber. This is beginning to piss me off. I think that the ejector may be the problem? What say you all? Ammo or Ejector?

This firearm has been having problems and the one constant has been the lower and the bolt. However I have had it work flawlessly with a different upper and bolt combo... the only constant seems to be the bolt now. What should I look for on the bolt that would be the problem here? The bolt is a DPMS.

Mark
    Last edited by Markp; 07-05-2009 at 05:06 PM.

Feedback Score

Hello Mark,
    Assuming that you are shooting decent ammo check the ejector plunger and spring. Also check the extractor and its' spring. The extractor has been known to be problematic on AR/M-16/M-4 rifles. Also check the rims of spent ammo for signs of a miserable extractor or faulty rim.

VD

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Dude View Post
    Hello Mark,
    Assuming that you are shooting decent ammo check the ejector plunger and spring. Also check the extractor and its' spring. The extractor has been known to be problematic on AR/M-16/M-4 rifles. Also check the rims of spent ammo for signs of a miserable extractor or faulty rim.

VD
    That's the funny thing, there is no indication of a problem on the brass of the spent ammo. I think that the extractor spring might be the culprit though. I think I will risk the $20 rebuild kit for the bolt, it's likely to solve the problem.

Mark

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Could it be a gas problem? Dirty tube or port?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Also try cleaning the chamber.
    Are you using Wolf ammo? Some chambers don't like it.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The next time you go to home depot take your extractor. Go look through all their "o-rings" for one that will fit around the extractor spring, but isn't wider than the extractor. I can't remember off hand what size o-ring it is, #60 comes to mind but that might be for something else. If your extractor spring is very weak or the extractor is worn it could be slipping off the case rim. With an o-ring installed around the extractor spring, it should bugger up the case rim pretty good before it slips off. Its a cheap fix I think a 10 pack of the o-rings is around $2. I have them in all of my ar bolts and have put them in my buddies guns as well. Also check the ejector to make sure its not dirty and binding. When held in your hand it should launch an empty case almost into the next room and not just kind of fall at your feet.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

try the 0-ring on the extractor check the spring and plunger. then make sure the ejector ain't sticking. ejector springs are funny things too much spring you get a problem--to little spring you get the same problem--lol

clean the weapon up good . make sure the chamber is clean. make sure the rings gaps arn't stacked --could be an old wifes tale but it is best to not jinx your self on a trouble shoot.

you might squirt a little cleaner/penetrating oil down the gas tube and through the gas port to clean/check it out.

a thing that has not been mentioned yet is the gas key--it should not be loose.

my guess --most likely it is the extractor spring--but it is a good idea to check all the bases while your at it. gas system ejector--the works just to be sure.

could be a mag or ammo problem --it could be a good idea to switch ammo and mags and try again.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 555th View Post
    Could it be a gas problem? Dirty tube or port?
    Brand new upper from model one, the bolt was coming back with authority. Does this crap with my other upper as well. Same bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    Also try cleaning the chamber.
    Are you using Wolf ammo? Some chambers don't like it.
    Nope, this was another brand of ammo... seems to hate all ammo equally.

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    clean the weapon up good . make sure the chamber is clean. make sure the rings gaps arn't stacked --could be an old wifes tale but it is best to not jinx your self on a trouble shoot.

you might squirt a little cleaner/penetrating oil down the gas tube and through the gas port to clean/check it out.
    Surgically clean, lightly oiled, ring gaps staggered.

could be a mag or ammo problem --it could be a good idea to switch ammo and mags and try again.
    Multiple mags, multiple ammo. First thing I tried.

That's why it's down to the bolt. Thanks for all your input, and I have tried a good deal of things, but had not heard of the O-ring fix before, so I will give that a try.

Mark

Another Day In Paradise DiabloII's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

i had the same problem and i was shooting ppu ammo and come to find out my timing was off

i needed a heavier buffer and replaced the car spring with a wolff car spring and presto runs like a champ now
    buying up all the guns and ammo i can just to PISS OFF the douche bag liberals

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    The next time you go to home depot take your extractor. Go look through all their "o-rings" for one that will fit around the extractor spring, but isn't wider than the extractor. I can't remember off hand what size o-ring it is, #60 comes to mind but that might be for something else. If your extractor spring is very weak or the extractor is worn it could be slipping off the case rim. With an o-ring installed around the extractor spring, it should bugger up the case rim pretty good before it slips off. Its a cheap fix I think a 10 pack of the o-rings is around $2. I have them in all of my ar bolts and have put them in my buddies guns as well. Also check the ejector to make sure its not dirty and binding. When held in your hand it should launch an empty case almost into the next room and not just kind of fall at your feet.

Moleman (and others),

This turned out to be the needed Mojo, cycled through 100 rounds mostly problem free (and this was the crappiest Wolf ammo I could feed it.) I do think I have one mag that's a bad actor, but for the most part it just chucked the rounds downrange. MUCH MUCH Better than before where I would not get through 5 rounds without a malfunction. I had 3 failures in 100 rounds. 1 short cycle, and 2 fail to feed after firing a round (only with one clip.) So while it's still not acceptable, it's much closer to running right. I will try some of the other suggestions to get that last 3% running right, but now I feel like I am on the right track!

Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.