Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: a stronger AR-bolt-is it possible?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    BBill, Did you get one of the standard pattern "super bolts" or the newer style with the rounded lugs that comes with a barrel extension?
    Just the standard- I talked to him after I ordered it and he machines all his stuff in-house. When I was waiting for my stuff he told me he was waiting on metal. Got the slightly longer firing pin for commie ammo. I've got a couple of 7.62 ARs and really all I had to do was bug J4 a little bit and open up the gas port hole a little and they both scream! I kinda like talking to the guy who actually makes the parts.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Sold!

Quote Originally Posted by BBill View Post
    Just the standard- I talked to him after I ordered it and he machines all his stuff in-house. When I was waiting for my stuff he told me he was waiting on metal. Got the slightly longer firing pin for commie ammo. I've got a couple of 7.62 ARs and really all I had to do was bug J4 a little bit and open up the gas port hole a little and they both scream! I kinda like talking to the guy who actually makes the parts.

i think i am going to get one of his bolts and cam pins--

yea there expensive. but a regular DPMS 7.62x39 bolt is $60 retail and a 5.45x39 is $70 so were talking only about $30ish more.

let us know if the bolts have a nitrited finish on them when that one comes in--bill!

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks BBill, I sent them a email as the 6mmbr super bolt and extension with the round lugs has disappeared from their website since sunday. I hope they're just out at the moment.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    i think i am going to get one of his bolts and cam pins--

yea there expensive. but a regular DPMS 7.62x39 bolt is $60 retail and a 5.45x39 is $70 so were talking only about $30ish more.

let us know if the bolts have a nitrited finish on them when that one comes in--bill!
    Mine was nitrited and the stake job was the best I've ever seen- I'd hate like hell to have to loosen those allen bolts!

Feedback Score

I had an second run ARP bolt in 6.8 years ago. It is thicker compared to the Busmaster (CMT?) bolt that came with the rifle. I didn't shoot it much with the ARP bolt and I wasn't too impressed with it because it used a 5.56 extractor and a modified extractor spring. I didn't have any failures wiyh it on an intermediate gas system Bison Armory barrel. Although I didn't have any failures with the 1st run Bushmaster 6.8 carbine it was originally purchased as.

Anyway fast forward to 2011. I built a 7.62x39 AR15 upper with an Osprey Defense piston kit. The Bolt is from SI Defense and supposedly MPI, carpenter steel and the whole milspec deal. I also run an AA bolt spring and POF roller cam pin on the OPS one piece bolt carrier. I hand cycled it dry for a long time while locating other patrs needed (including the POF cam pin and bolt spring) and had some where on the back of the lugs and cam pin hole. I never shot it DI but soon after installing everything it hand cycled much smoother and as far as I can tell no more wear (parkerizing rubbing off) on the bolt when lubed and fired.

If I was going to entertain the thought of this carbine as being a serious fighting one I would probably get the ARP bolt for piece of mind. But as a range toy and occasional deer rifle the SID bolt is good enough. I am just shooting steel cased Wolf through it and passing a bore snake through every 100 rounds until it jams. So far the bolt seems to be holding up and no signs of hard extraction.

YMMV

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Well, for what it's worth. I have sent several emails to AR15 Performance over the last month+ without any response asking if they are still making the 6MMBR Bolt & Extension since it is no longer shown on their web site. Since the project is basically stopped without that bolt and barrel extension I'll most lilkely go another direction.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i think were going to see a lot of the makers of one-off stuff for AR-15 type rifles start dropping off the map due to the poor economy and slow sales.

hell i found a place that will make barrels to order but the prices on ammo make if difficult to run off a batch of 6.5g type barrels. that other ar place is sitting on a stack of 6.8s and their moving very slow i have been told.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.