MPI the new mall ninja "secret sauce"?

Thread: MPI the new mall ninja "secret sauce"?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Postak MPI the new mall ninja "secret sauce"?

as you all know i sometimes visit some of the well known mall-ninja places with their charts and so on. on these sites MPI is a big-big buzz word.

some how through mall-ninja guru teckno magica anything that is MPI must be better than anything non-mpi. anything MPI lasts longer, is stronger, and made of better steel or uber-kryptonium or something better than everything else.

those of us that have actually built firearms, and praticulary raceing engines know that MPI is just another term for the "magna-flux" which is a non destructive test of magnetic metals. i remember back in the day having rods magna-fluxed for a big block chevy. back then i think it costs about a $1 rod.

depending on the experience of the person doing the MPI, the type of MPI test being done you can recieve results of varing quality.

no more than MPI would cost for parts as small as an AR/m16 bolt i really don't see why all AR bolts arn't MPI except that you need a dedicated workman with some skill to do the MPI test.if you have a new guy doing the MPI--the results may not be conclusive.

there are some limitations on MPI. although it can find cracks in the steel surface invisible to the naked eye--it can not see a flaw that has not reached the surface of the steel. MPI is very good but it is not a 100% that a MPI part has no flaws.

if i was really concerned that an AR type of bolt might fail rather than trust an assembly line MPI i would probably take my ar bolts to my hot-rod shop and have them went over with a fine tooth comb type of MPI by folks that i have known for decades. but that is just me.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

i agree with you on that
    our machine shops been doing it since the hemi cudas were prowling the streets!!
    more than competent on the matter and there a bunch of gunnutz themselves!!

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

MPI, is that just a fancy acronym for magna-fluxing?
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

MPI= Magnetic Particle Inspection, commonly referred to as Magna-flux.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Heh, yeah it is always something. A few years ago it was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryogenic_hardening
    For barrels, frames, even knives, golf clubs, etc. The mall ninjas have to have something techy to debate. John Browning did pretty good with 1900's low tech materials I'd say.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i wonder IF any AK parts are MPIed??

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

MPI is used to check for flaws and failures. Magna-fluxing all new parts on a production line is rarely a normal part of building anything. Auto makers, for instance, produce millions of engines that last a long time and have not been so inspected. The need simply is not there.

Random pulls from a production line may be magna-fluxed and subjected to all sorts of measurement and testing, but to test every part of a mass-produced product is cost-prohibitive.

Additionally, magna-fluxing is only an inspection. It adds nothing to the longevity, durability or usefulness of any given part.

So, to answer the question, I would seriously doubt any of the AK parts we have are the product of an MPI inspection. Inspections, if any, would have been done on the random pulls.

If I were going to blueprint any firearm, I'd want to invest in an MPI to ensure the parts I'm about to spend a lot of time and money on were in normal, serviceable condition. On a production line, discovered flaws indicate a need to go back to the process or supplier and correct the reason flaws are present in the first place.
    I have a daughter. I tell her, "911 is what you dial after you're raped. 1911 is what you should have before they try."

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.