tools required for building?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tools required for building?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default tools required for building?

ok, so i might be selling a airsoft gun to generate money for a stripped lower and kit to begin my own ar, i wanted to know can you build a ar with just simple hand tools?
    or are there specialized tools, and how expensive to the cheaper yet still simple to figure out tools?

where are some instructions on building an ar?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Akinhand View Post
    ok, so i might be selling a airsoft gun to generate money for a stripped lower and kit to begin my own ar, i wanted to know can you build a ar with just simple hand tools?
    or are there specialized tools, and how expensive to the cheaper yet still simple to figure out tools?

where are some instructions on building an ar?
    Do yourself a favor... buy a complete upper... learn the gun before you try to "build" one. Building the lower is easy, get a 100% lower and lower parts kit, no special tools needed.

Here is a really cheap upper to get started with:

Custom 16 Inch 1x9 Chrome Moly M4 Flat Top Upper 4 Rail FF Handguard - Special! <- you can't really build this upper cheaper.

Lowers are everywhere I have been using Tactical Machining lowers lately but they are all pretty much the same (TM has them to my door [80% receivers] or FFL [100% receivers] in 2 days.) and LPK's were $59 at midway.

Mark

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The ar15 is like a leggo gun. You most likely will only need: a hammer; assorted punches; and a flathead screw driver to assemble a kit. Most of the kits you get these days have the upper already barreled so you won't need the $15-$20 barrel nut wrench. A roll of electrial tape is nice to mask off any areas where you're driving a roll pin in case your punch slips. Toten Kopf was working on a build cd a while back, but I haven't seen it in the classifieds yet. His how to videos come highly recommended. Any questions you have on your build I'm sure can be answered by the members here though.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Like they said, if you get an assembled upper, you only need basic hand tools to put the lower together.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

if you have some decent tools at home you likely have about everything you will need to assemble a ar-15 kit.

i have used the channel-lock/ vice grip method where you tape the jaws up to protect the lower from scratches to install the roll pins in where you were supposed to use a special punch. works like a charm. just take your time and you can do it easy with no special tools.

Feedback Score

With all due modesty, I did write a book on just this subject...

Regards,

Walt
    Author, New! The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide
    Author, The M14 Complete Assembly Guide
    Author, The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide

Author, The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide
    Author, The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide, Fourth Edition

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

heck if you get one of the complete otis cleaning kits youll have everything youll need
    just short of rebarreling and head spacing!

Feedback Score

I built mine from a stripped lower receiver with a dpms parts kit and a complete upper in less than 2hrs with a few hand tools. if you built an ak then this is piece of cake.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Markp View Post
    Do yourself a favor... buy a complete upper... learn the gun before you try to "build" one. Building the lower is easy, get a 100% lower and lower parts kit, no special tools needed.

Here is a really cheap upper to get started with:

Custom 16 Inch 1x9 Chrome Moly M4 Flat Top Upper 4 Rail FF Handguard - Special! <- you can't really build this upper cheaper.

Lowers are everywhere I have been using Tactical Machining lowers lately but they are all pretty much the same (TM has them to my door [80% receivers] or FFL [100% receivers] in 2 days.) and LPK's were $59 at midway.

Mark
    80%?
    tm?

Feedback Score

Above mentioned wrench, torque wrench, punch, hammer, and I like...

1/4 inch drill bit or long 1/4 inch punch to install the pesky front pivot retainer. Roll Pin punch set, it has a tiny ball on the end, to take out and finish installing gas block pins. If you buy the right AR wrench, it will come with a stock wrench. I also use a old heavy duty center punch to stake the gas port screws.

However... Buy is assembled and test fired. Once in a while, these barrels come out of spec. If you don't have a set of go, no-go gage, you're in for some pain, even if it's only one in many thousand barrels are out of specs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.