Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pipe Cleaners. Do you use them?

Feedback Score

Default Pipe Cleaners. Do you use them?

So, I was talking to an Army Armorer for few mins. I was picking up a pack of pipe cleaners. He quipped, "They are worthless. I've been an armorer for 15 years and never needed to use the pipe cleaner for the AR gas tubes". My main use for the pipe cleaner is to clean the firing pin hole and the carrier key. The firing pin hole cleaning is mainly out of fear of firing pin getting stuck and my range officer declaring my weapon to be automatic. It never happened, so it may be irrational.

Does anyone think cleaning gas tubes with the pipe cleaner is waste of time? I cleaned it few times in last 10 years with a pipe cleaner, but evertime I do it, I think about how small the port hole on the barrel is, even if the damn thing reached all the way. I can't help to think it's a waste of time.

What do you think?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I think it's a waste of time, the tubes are stainless (usually) and there's somuch pressure going through it it blows most of the crud out while firing.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

I use pipe cleaners all the time.

AR's can't be cleaned enough. But I use them to clean AK's gas ports as well. And as you mentioned, they're great for cleaning bolts particularly for getting the cosmoline out in the first place.
    There is no nonsense so errant that it cannot be made the creed of the vast majority by adequate governmental action. -- Bertrand Russell

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I use them to clean out the nipples on my bp guns. Thats about it.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

A little break free powder blast, pipe cleaner, compressed air. Bam, clean tube. I have seen a crazy amount of carbon build up in a gas tube. One example is my buddy. He gave me an M4 upper, and fired well over a 1000 rounds of god only knows what through it. Let it sit in that bastard for quite a few months. I was very happy to have a pipe cleaner that time. Hell for only 1.00 for an ass load of them, what's the harm?

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

they are excellent for cleaning out the nooks & crannys on all guns and for applying lube or grease. thoroughly cleaning your guns is never a waste of time.

Feedback Score

We've seem more gas tubes clogged with stuck pipe cleaners than powder fouling. If you think the gas tube is occluded, install a new one.

Regards,

Walt
    Author, New! The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide
    Author, The M14 Complete Assembly Guide
    Author, The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide

Author, The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide
    Author, The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide, Fourth Edition

Feedback Score

Have also been told that cleaning gas tubes on AR’s is a waste of time… all I know is that I’ve never touched mine & they still run great after 1,000’s of rounds. (Not that I can afford to shoot them like anymore…)
    live free or die

Feedback Score

Never cleaned the inside of the gas tube other than the last bit that mates with the bolt tube. We used the pipe cleaners for all the nooks and crannys in the lower reciever and around the gas tube where it comes thru the upper receiver and to clean inside the bolt where the firing pin goes.
    They where also good to wrap around the outside of the gas tube to clean off general dirt.
    Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows that as a government grows, LIBERTY DECREASES."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I use them all the time for my AK's on the gas ports.

RR

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.