Del-Ton M4 Kit Review (In Depth)

Thread: Del-Ton M4 Kit Review (In Depth)

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

Default Del-Ton M4 Kit Review (In Depth)

Del-Ton M-4 Kit (In Depth)

16" M4 Rifle Kit
    [M4 Rifle Kit -BarrelTI 16" M4 1x7 Chrome Lined]
    [M4 Rifle Kit / Rifle -Handguards:CAR Handguard with Heat Shields-Black]
    [Rifle Kit / Rifle -BC:Standard Bolt & Carrier]
    [Rifle Kit / Rifle -Buttstock:M4 Buttstock - Black]
    [Rifle Kit / Rifle -Grips:A2 Grip - Black]
    [Rifle Kit / Rifle-Carrying Handleetachable Carrying Handle (Flat Top's ONLY)]
    [Rifle Kit / Rifle-Flash Hiders:A2 Flash Hider]
    [Rifle Kit / Rifle-Gas Blocks:Standard A2 Front Sight]
    [Rifle Kit / Rifle-Lower Parts:Standard Lower Parts]
    [Rifle Kit / Rifle-T Handle:Standard Charging Handle]
    [Rifle Kit / Rifle-Uppers:Flat Top Upper with M4 Feed Ramps]

Ordered – 09 Mar 2009
    Mailed - 27 Oct 2009
    Received – 03 Nov 2009
    Kit Functional Check – 6-7 Nov 2009

After receiving the Del-Ton kit, I removed the preservative oils from everything (and I mean everything). Cleaned the barrel and performed a cartridge drop check after cleaning the chamber. The cartridge dropped free from the chamber when the barrel was tilled up (this is good).

During the disassembly, I did notice that the bolt has a ring/grove in the center (I have never seen this before) and the tail of the bolt had a distinct machine cut where it leads to the gas ring area (again, I have never seen this before).

Installed the LPK into a Double Star lower receiver, everything fit perfectly. I will say that the trigger pull is perhaps one of the best that I have experienced with standard parts. Pull was smooth and crisp.

At this point I lubricated everything using CLP and wiped the upper/lower with a lint free rag.

I then preformed the standard FCG function test and everything worked. The safety and disconnector worked as required. Next, to the range.

I arrived at the range with 630 rounds of PMC (Lot# 223A-081) ammunition. First, one round in the magazine, then fire. The case ejected smartly (about 10 feet) and the bolt locked to the rear. I repeated this 5 times to ensure that the basic operation of the rifle, safety/disconnector/ejection/bolt locking to rear was operating correctly.

Upon examination of the spent cartridges, I noticed that a dent occurred just at the bottle-neck of the cartridge (not a good place when reloading). Also, the cartridge head rim was rough to the touch where the extractor had grabbed the case during ejection. In addition, there was a semi-ring around the head of the cartridge from the chamber.

I then loaded a magazine with 2 rounds, the carbine functioned flawlessly with the second round being loaded and upon firing the bolt locked to the rear. I performed this 3 additional times just to ensure proper function.

Next was ten rounds loaded in the magazine (please note that I was using different magazines during this function test), all rounds fed/fired/ejected as normal.

I did this for a total of 50 rounds. No malfunctions occurred.

At this point I stopped and returned home to try and correct the problem with the dent on the cartridge. This had nothing to do with the function of the carbine as received. The carbine has function flawlessly to this point. I just wanted to try and prevent any damage to the spent cases for reloading.

I disassembled the BCG and removed the ejector spring and compared it to “spares” that I have. The difference between the ejector springs was nominal. At this time I decided to remove 3 coils from the ejector spring to reduce to force exerted on the shell casing as it is pulled from the chamber (hitting the barrel extension locking lugs was causing this problem).

I then inspected the extractor, using a magnifying glass, I noticed that the machine cut where the extractor grabs the case rim was very rough. So I decided to replace the extractor. The original extractor came with a black bumper and a four twist spring, however, I have never had a problem using the three twist spring and red/orange bumper.

I re-assembled the BCG using the new extractor (with three twist spring and red/orange bumper) and the cut ejector spring into the carbine and was ready for another day of shooting. I did not clean the carbine from the days firing as it was only 61 rounds.

At the range, I performed the same checks as the previous day. No malfunctions occurred and there were no damage to the cartridge cases as on the previous day. However, the ring around the spent case remained. I feel that this is do to a rough chamber. Overall, I am quite pleased. So I guess that the replacement of the rough extractor and cutting the ejector spring worked. The ejected distance did change to around eight feet instead of the original 10 feet. In the grand scheme of things this is irrelevant.

During this range session, I completed firing (569 rounds) the remaining ammunition with no malfunctions. The sights (removable carrying handle) were only off two clicks left and one click up (at 100 yards). I am quite pleased with the “overall” quality of the Del-Ton kit and would recommend it highly.

Overview: 630 rounds of ammunition fired, no malfunctions. Any replacement of parts was solely my decision and had no effect on the function of the Del-Ton Carbine.

Oh, one last thing…Thanks Del-Ton
    Last edited by Toten Kopf; 11-08-2009 at 01:46 AM.
    "It Takes A Strong Man To Be Kind", Sgt Nathan Wilson, 5th SFG (1970)

WOLVERINES! One of GUNCO's First Hundred!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Nice write up, thanks

Where's the pic of the rifle?
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)

Just a standard M4 clone, nothing fancy. I felt that almost everyone knows what they look like, hence, no picture.
    "It Takes A Strong Man To Be Kind", Sgt Nathan Wilson, 5th SFG (1970)

WOLVERINES! One of GUNCO's First Hundred!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

thanks for a very good report. i am putting together a few ar's and need some good input,

thanks
    ron
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vietnam vet 67-68

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.