Gunco Forums banner

If you had $1500 what would you get?

3K views 32 replies 23 participants last post by  joedirt1977 
#1 ·
Hello again. I started another thread about a 20 year old Colt that I was going to buy, but that fell through.

The gun will be used primarily for coyote hunting. It will also be a shtf gun when I need it.

I want to be able to accurately shoot out to 200+ yards. I want an adjustable butt stock. Removable carrying handle or no handle at all.

There are so many different options out there it is a bit overwhelming.

Optics are another concern. I would like to think I have enough money budgeted for the gun and optic so please keep that in mind.

I have had every make and model suggested to me. It seems everyone has their own opinion. Some guys like certain brands while others would never consider buying that companies gun.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
Now that the price has dropped, how about a Yugo M76? A bit overkill for 'yotes and not adjustable in the butt. But fits the SHTF scenario well enough, with 8mm power and milspec scope.

#4 ·
I want something calibered in .223. Ammo is cheaper than bigger guns and when shtf it should be easier to obtain. I plan on buying in bulk once I find what the gun shoots the best.

I agree about the optics. That is why I am seriously considering either waiting on getting anything, or using iron sites until I get more money saved up for optics.

#5 ·
Nothing wrong with .223, but 8mm surplus is available cheaper than .223 of any flavor.

Cheaper still is 7.62x54r. I wonder what you'd get if you took a $500 PSL, put great glass and a bull barrel on it, do some accurizing? If you had the machine shop to contour your own barrel, $1500 might net an accurized PSL with good glass, a custom-length buttstock and maybe enough left over to buy a thousand round case or two of ammo.

#7 ·
The gun will be used primarily for coyote hunting. It will also be a shtf gun when I need it.
Since your looking for both in one rifle. Then I'd look at a 20" heavy barrel, will be great for long range stuff but not to long. As for optics (also looking at range shooting & SHTF) Get one of those new Eotech's that have the extra bars for bullet drop and add one of the magnifiers on a flip base, this way you got a maginified scope for long range and it can be moved out of the way for close up stuff.
My $.02

#8 · (Edited)
I have two ar15s that I use for coyote hunting. One is a free floated 20
" extra heavy barrel (heavier than a standard heavy barrel) its slightly too heavy for fast close shots but is great at longer distances with a Nikon 3-9 scope. The other is a 16" mid length standard heavy barrel with a 4 moa red dot sight. The red dot is good out to about 200-250yards. My buddy did get lucky on a coyote running straight away at about 600yds with my 16" and about 12 rounds with a spotter giving him shot corrections. At that range the red dot was 24" which puts it into the he just got lucky catagory. Generally I only take the 16" gun if I'm going to have most of my shots under 150 yards and a max of 250 yards or during the 24hr season at night. If I'm setting up in a spot that has mostly 150 yards+ shots I take the 20" with the scope. The best setup may be a freefloated 18" or 20" fluted standard heavy barrel with a 3-9 power scope with a red dot or illuminated recticle. For ammo I reload 50 gr Hornady V-MAX bullets. We've tried from 35gr-62gr and found that 50gr was the best compromise for the area we're hunting coyotes in. Also get a levang or similar type comp that directs the noise away from you. They work, and you're not going to have time to get your earplugs in every time especially if the coyote is running.

#9 ·
my first thought was certainly a M-76 BUT I now think that a PSL may fit your specs better. 200 yds , easy. ammo cheap and everyware. properly cammed mill scope with range finder allready on it. I have seen them with the wood removed and all in black so I assume the stock option you need is their too. SHTF prety good choise too.
you can get everything including a lifetime supply of ammo for the $1500. the 54 round has enough power to be effective against allmost any 4 leg beast.
I honestly suggest you look very close at the available PLS's out their
let us know.

#11 ·
Ok I went and looked for you. yes the stock is adjustable. here is the link.
Replacement Stock for Dragunov Rifle 7.62x54R Part #STKDRA
and century still has the PSL with the proper scope allready mounted, so they are out their.
realy super nice weapon, fits all your specs and will include all your ammo in your presant budget. as for bragging rites, well the PSL is nouthing to be ashamed of!

#13 ·
On the PSL, handloading in the 125-130 grain bullet range is a very doable thing and would work well on coyotes.

And while there is some argument about loads over 150 grain bullet weight, you do have the option of the 200-220 grain pills for those times when you want maximum knock-down power.

#18 ·
lets see a roll your own AR-15 $550 to lets say $650 a nice PSL for about $500 = around $1150+ optics and the 7.62x54 is big enough for large game and ammo is fairly inexpensive for it.

one other thing you might do is build or buy an AR-10 type rifle in 243, 308 and the like that will run at least $800-$900 plus optics. the good thing about the large frame AR-types is that there are some good p-mags for them now.

and then you got all the short magnums for the large frame AR. for a hunting rifle the big AR is also a good pick if you can live with the ammo expense.

#21 ·
Outta debt... That's what I'd get. ;)

- CK

#22 ·
Half my monthly bills paid. 2 in college, one in high school and my own student loans to pay off. Hear that echo? It's the sound of the vault where I keep my money ;)

#23 ·
I would buy a 20" stainless fluted heavy barrel barrelled A3 upper with a drop in match trigger. Cost around a grand for the gun. Leaves 500 for mount and scope. Helped my dad put together one from model1sales on a RRA lower. Shoots 2-3" at 200 yards with premium ammo on a calm day. Definately minute of Coyote.

-yarro

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.