Blackthorne Kits ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackthorne Kits ?

Feedback Score

Default Blackthorne Kits ?

has anyone purchased any of the AR kits they sell ? i know who they were before they changed their name so i don't need anyone to post bashing them i just want to know from people who have actually bought kits from them

thanks !!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

I've ordered a Galil ARM kit from them. No problems.

jrs
    Feedback Score

I've built 2 of the 16" AR kits. One M4 and one heavy barrel. Several thousand rounds through both. No complaints.
    jrs
    --
    "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.", Will Durant

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.", Edmund Burke

Feedback Score

I haven't bought one but I saw this today so it may be helpful:
    forward asst broke - AR15.COM

Sarge

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

I've bought different kits from them. Treated me OK.
    Your in my Mind, and in my Sights

Feedback Score

Default Blackthorne

I bought a 7.62x39 AR upper, I'm very pleased.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Happy with my Blackthorne

Had to work through some issues, but enjoyed the process. Feel like I now know my AR-15 and confident that I can work on it. I found Blackthorne through "akpartskits", but it is the same company.

See my other posts for a description of my experience building my rifle.

Again, I'd buy from Blackthorne again recognizing that they are the most price competitive vendor in the AR-15 kit market.

With most businesses there are only three dimensions that move: (1) cost, (2) quality and (3) speed of delivery. If you change one dimension, it impacts the other two - you can't have the lowest cost without some impact on quality or speed of delivery / service (or both). Similarly, if you want the highest quality, it is unlikely that it will be the lowest cost or fastest delivery / best service. Blackthorne (akpartskits) strikes a good balance of these three dimensions for someone like me - desperately wanting an AR-15, but on a somewhat limited budget.

I had the exact opposite experience with an M-1 Carbine a couple years ago when I had a vendor, who I will not name, build me the "best available" rifle. Paid through the nose - quality and service were terrible. Finally got the issues resolved although not to my satisfaction.

Hope this helps.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i think surplus rifle.com has some people that wrote reviews on their blackthorne kits.

the biggest problem areas were lower parts sometimes had to be filed to fit, barrels sometimes had the gas port hole drilled into the rifle lands on the lower side of the barrel,
    finish of the upper was sometimes rough, plastic parts were not of the best quality on some examples.
    \
    these problems may or may not have been fixed--

i think what is going on at blackthorn is that they are buying low bid parts blind and selling them blind to cut costs. you may get lucky and get some good kits but there were some that had some flaws. most of the time though whatever problems the blackthorne kits had were minor.

back when blackthorn kits were in the low to mid $300 range it was worth the risk but now with blackthorn's kits hitting $400 and up--your only $50-$65 from what some of the other vendors sell them for. so now it is a toss up.

hopefully blackthorn is selling better parts kits for $400 than they were back when they were in the $300 range--

i may buy one one day--when i am feeling lucky!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I got one of their kits off of Gunbroker. It has the long rail handguard on an M4 barrel and uses a short gas block hidden underneath.

The barrel nut is crap, need to get a real barrel nut from YHM. Problem with the barrel nut is that it only has about 1/4" of thread and it allows the handguard to flop around. I tried to return it and they sent me an exchange. After that, they said I would have to pay 15% restocking fee, so at that point I decided to keep it. The handguard itself is threaded about an inch deep, so if I get a YHM barrel nut and locking ring it should be a good fix.

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

To Date,
    I have built 8 kits. 2 Heavy Barrel 16", 6 M4, and 1 24" heavy barrel varmint rifle.

Each kit had minor issues. Some lower parts needed to be honed down, magazine catch needed some light fitting, etc. Nothing that anybody who knows how to hone a knife or use a jewelers file couldn't handle in 15 minutes while having a cup of coffee. BTW, watch the History Channel show on the FN or Beretta plants in Virginia (?). The folks that assemble those firearms are doing EXACTLY the same thing; Minor fitting IS required with new parts.

The 24" Varmint had a real issue where the locating pin was never installed in the barrel / extension prior to assembly.

In any and all cases, Blackthorn took care of the issue quickly and without complaint. I know who they were too, and was very afraid at first. Now I have no issue buying from them.

As a point of comparison, I have also built Olympic, DPMS, and Bushmaster kits not to mention Model 1 and a number of others. The Blackthorne kits were no better and no worse. I have had more issues dealing with BushMaster than BlackThorne.

As JRS said, several thousand rounds down range and no complaints.

One las thing, I DID have an issue with one of the M4 rifles. One of the gas rings broke after about 300 rounds. Hard to fault BlackThorne on that, sometimes you just get a bad ring. $3.00 fix.
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.