Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 11 1/2 inch barrel on ar-15

Feedback Score

Default 11 1/2 inch barrel on ar-15

how far do you think an ar-15 with an 11 1/2 inch barrel with a 1:9 twist could accurately shoot?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Not sure what 'accurately' means but I assure you I could hit you at 200 yards.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

You might be suprised how well the 11.5" barrel shoots especially if its a heavy barrel. For its length the barrel is very stiff. I had a carbine length gas system 11.5" with 5.5" flash hider upper until the mid length gas system came out. I couldn't shoot the shorter sight radius open sights worth a crap. I can shoot the 16" mid length open sights as well as the rifle, but thats me. I once mounted a 3-12 power scope from a different upper to see how the gun shot at 110yds and 240yds. I had just got done shooting at the longer range when a ground hog popped up and I got him. I was getting about an inch at 110yds and around two at 240 yds. I sold that upper when the mid length barrels came out and I couldn't be happier with it.

Feedback Score

i have a bushmaster m4 with fixed carry handle with an 11.5 inch barrel with the 5.5 inch flash hider and its crazy you mentioning putting a 3-12 scope on it because i just bought a 3-12 nikon monarch to mount on mine. i was hoping to shoot up to 500 yards with respectable groups, is that asking too much?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by arbushy556 View Post
    i have a bushmaster m4 with fixed carry handle with an 11.5 inch barrel with the 5.5 inch flash hider and its crazy you mentioning putting a 3-12 scope on it because i just bought a 3-12 nikon monarch to mount on mine. i was hoping to shoot up to 500 yards with respectable groups, is that asking too much?
    I remember watching one of those TV sniper competitions where one team used a shorty AR (I believe about 11.5") and the shooter was stunned that the weapon was good out to 500 yards, so I think it's plausible if you are a good shot.

Mark

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The 3-12 redfield looked kind of funny on top of the shorty carbine. I was just using it to confirm that I sucked as bad as I thought I did shooting the 11.5" barrel open sights and that the barrel did shoot ok. It would be interesting to know what the velocity of a 223 round is out of a 11.5" barrel. Out of a 20" barrel a 55gr bullet with a .26 BC and a velocity of 3200fps is going to drop about 54" at 500yds. Just a guess, but if you took 400fps off for the 8.5" barrel difference that make the bullet drop about 75" at the same distance. I'm sure it can be done, but you're asking an a lot out of the rifle and yourself. When coyote hunting I'll usually stick with a 20" if I'm going to be shooting over 300yds.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

the 11.5 can be accurate way out there. the thing is you loose a some speed with the short barrel. 200 to about 250m would be the practical limit generally- although you can certainly hit further out with it.

the 11.5 and other SBR weapons are more attune to CQC and defensive use.

a 14.5-16" or 18-20" would be better for general purpose use as the bullet could keep a little more punch at longer ranges.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Barrel length has very little to do with accuracy. It has to do with how long a the bullet will be pushed by the gas, creating speed. Im sure when you get to a 5" barrel it may effect the accuracy some. But For the most part this is true.

I have a 20" 308 bolt gun that can do 1" groups at 300yds. Will I be able to reach 1000 yds and still be sonic?... well no, but I can get close depending on ammo...

The SBR and Pistol Ar-15's are Great!!! with 11.5" I bet you could make center mass hits out to 300 yds

Feedback Score

I'd love to have an 11.5" 9mm. Pistol or carbine? I don't know, and can't make up my mind.

Rage

Feedback Score

went out and shot with the new scope today, it did pretty well real nice groups at 100 and 200 yards 300 got a little spaced out but i still have some fine tuning, im pretty happy with the results so far, and as for the 3-12x42 scope on the carry handle, ya i wasnt to crazy about that type of scope on a carry handle but i think its actually a pretty cool setup now, it doesnt look as bad as i pictured it in my head. i didnt want a red dot or short range tactical type sight most of those are only 4x and i wanted something more long range.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.