Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is the chrome lining worth it for the occasional shooter?

Feedback Score

Question Is the chrome lining worth it for the occasional shooter?

I'm gonna guess yes, but I figured I'd get your alls opinion/experiences. BTW I'm building my first AR, goin with a M1S 16" C.A.R. with stag lower. Gun will mostly just be a SHTF/throw behind the truck seat type of gun. Maybe 500-1000 rnds a yr.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I have about half of my AR15 barrels chrome lined. I haven't noticed a difference between them over the last 20+ years. I'd be more tempted to go with a stainless barrel over a chrome lined barrel for one that would see high moisture and infrequent cleaning. If going with a chromemoly barrel, for $50 it can't hurt to get a chrome lined one.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

generally speaking go with the chrome but it is not a must have.

about half of my ar-15 types are chrome lined GI-spec 4150CV steel types --the other half are non chrome lined 4140 steel.

i do think the hard chrome lined barrels help with wear on 1in 7 inch twist barrels if you shoot a lot of the heavy stuff.

Feedback Score

I don't think you need a chrome lined barrel if you can clean it after shooting. Chrome lined barrels are more of a necessity when you shoot full auto, use corrosive ammo and or stuck in the field and can't properly clean.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

IMO: The chrome lining is not worth it. Chances are you will be shooting non corrosive ammo through it anyways. I've had over 6 uppers w/ non chrome bores(1 was a bushy/chrome) and no problems, and I live in MI. My gun I have now, I test fired over 5months ago, and didn't even realize I didn't clean it until a couple of days ago. It still looks brand new. Its not like were talking about an AK here were you have to clean it right away(Well....At least I do or it will start to rust in about 2hrs) It depends where you live too..

Feedback Score

If you are a casual shooter on a budget, I wouldn't think it's necessary, so long as you pay a little attention to maintaining it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MTFB View Post
    I'm gonna guess yes, but I figured I'd get your alls opinion/experiences. BTW I'm building my first AR, goin with a M1S 16" C.A.R. with stag lower. Gun will mostly just be a SHTF/throw behind the truck seat type of gun. Maybe 500-1000 rnds a yr.
    For the occasional shooter, no.

For the occasional CLEANER, then it may be worth it!

If you run a swab down the bore once every blue moon like my brother used to on his un-chromed AR in a dry climate then you would still be OK. If its going to be in a humid area like where I live now then I would swab it as often as possible.

Feedback Score

The word is Seems. My ak seems to clean easier and faster with the chrome barrel. As far as shooting, I don't see any difference from my other rifles.

Feedback Score

Agreed, it's all about cleaning. If dreading the oil and lube keeps you from blowing more rounds then consider making it easier.

Feedback Score

I would prefer chromelined due to the longer life and easier cleaning but if its mostly a safe queen it probably doesn't matter. I would guess the chromelined barreled gun would be more desirable in the secondary market if you wanted to sell it in the future though..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.