Gunco Forums banner

Is the chrome lining worth it for the occasional shooter?

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  bkjeffrey 
#1 ·
I'm gonna guess yes, but I figured I'd get your alls opinion/experiences. BTW I'm building my first AR, goin with a M1S 16" C.A.R. with stag lower. Gun will mostly just be a SHTF/throw behind the truck seat type of gun. Maybe 500-1000 rnds a yr.

#2 ·
I have about half of my AR15 barrels chrome lined. I haven't noticed a difference between them over the last 20+ years. I'd be more tempted to go with a stainless barrel over a chrome lined barrel for one that would see high moisture and infrequent cleaning. If going with a chromemoly barrel, for $50 it can't hurt to get a chrome lined one.

#3 ·
generally speaking go with the chrome but it is not a must have.

about half of my ar-15 types are chrome lined GI-spec 4150CV steel types --the other half are non chrome lined 4140 steel.

i do think the hard chrome lined barrels help with wear on 1in 7 inch twist barrels if you shoot a lot of the heavy stuff.

#5 ·
IMO: The chrome lining is not worth it. Chances are you will be shooting non corrosive ammo through it anyways. I've had over 6 uppers w/ non chrome bores(1 was a bushy/chrome) and no problems, and I live in MI. My gun I have now, I test fired over 5months ago, and didn't even realize I didn't clean it until a couple of days ago. It still looks brand new. Its not like were talking about an AK here were you have to clean it right away(Well....At least I do or it will start to rust in about 2hrs) It depends where you live too..

#7 ·
I'm gonna guess yes, but I figured I'd get your alls opinion/experiences. BTW I'm building my first AR, goin with a M1S 16" C.A.R. with stag lower. Gun will mostly just be a SHTF/throw behind the truck seat type of gun. Maybe 500-1000 rnds a yr.
For the occasional shooter, no.

For the occasional CLEANER, then it may be worth it! :)

If you run a swab down the bore once every blue moon like my brother used to on his un-chromed AR in a dry climate then you would still be OK. If its going to be in a humid area like where I live now then I would swab it as often as possible.

#10 ·
I would prefer chromelined due to the longer life and easier cleaning but if its mostly a safe queen it probably doesn't matter. I would guess the chromelined barreled gun would be more desirable in the secondary market if you wanted to sell it in the future though..

#11 ·
it just depends on what your wanting really.

if you want a military clone get a 4150cv steel barrel with fully chromed barrel and chamber.

if your target shooting & plinking a 4140 cm steel barrel with no chrome will do fine.

if your into serious target shooting stainless is the one to get.

if you can find a good deal on a barrel you had better pick it up. they ain't getting no cheaper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.