5.56 AND .223 ARE DIFFERENT AMMOS.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.56 AND .223 ARE DIFFERENT AMMOS.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Question 5.56 AND .223 ARE DIFFERENT AMMOS.

The Gun Zone -- SAAMI on 5.56 v. .223 Remington

O.K. dont jump on me. I am a new mall ninja.
    You guys probably went over this before.
    But for my fellow new mall ninja bros. I found this article pretty interesting.
    So can I shoot 5.56 out of my Rock River shorty or will it blow up?
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

What is it chambered for, should be marked on the bbl. 5.56 marked will shoot everything OK, the .223 marked ones might show excess pressure signs like blown primers. FWIW, I've shot loads of surplus out of my .223 chambered AR with no issues. YMMV.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

They are close enough to be called Brothers.
    Your in my Mind, and in my Sights

4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Yes. Mine is marked 5.56... But in reading that article. It kind of leads one to believe they dont want you too shoot 5.56 out of a .223.
    Short of reading it again. I think the 5.56 is designated Military, with higher pressures involved.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I can NOT shoot 5.56 out of several of my 223 chamberd guns including my varmint build it will blow primers on factory loaded mil supluss ammo.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I think the 5.56 has thicker walled primers than .223. The AR-180 used to have problems with 5.56 primers fractering and blowing back into the bolt firing pin hole, causing jams/misfires. This was cured by making the 5.56 primers thicker walled.

I used to have an AR-180 during that time period, and experienced those problems with it. After complaing about the problem to the manufacturer, I was told the 5.56 primers would be made thicker walled in the future. It seems I was far from the only person having these misfires.

Apparently, .223 primer walls have not been changed.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
    Yes. Mine is marked 5.56... But in reading that article. It kind of leads one to believe they dont want you too shoot 5.56 out of a .223.
    Short of reading it again. I think the 5.56 is designated Military, with higher pressures involved.
    There are some minor differences, but as others have noted, those differences can make a bit of a mess... blowing out primers, etc.

If your gun is chambered for 5.56 you should be able to fire both. The 5.56 chamber is a bit looser.

Mark

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Markp View Post
    There are some minor differences, but as others have noted, those differences can make a bit of a mess... blowing out primers, etc.

If your gun is chambered for 5.56 you should be able to fire both. The 5.56 chamber is a bit looser.

Mark

there are some differences in the three chambers for the 223/5.56.

most ar-15 barrels made recently are 5.56 chambered. it is not the most accurate but it is the most dependable and can stand the most pressure.

you don't get into the other two types of chambers less your building a scoped tack-driver.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Question So..

What's the difference between 5.56MM and .223 Remington chambers in the AR-15®-type rifle?

Would someone care to comment on shooting 5.56 mil spec ammo in a .223 SAAMI chrome lined AR? I've heard everything from yea to nay on other lists and am looking for the voice of reason here. I have an Armalite M15A2 on order that I was told by Armalite would have an M16 Nato chamber (I specifically asked this before I ordered). Now they say all their guns have SAAMI spec chambers but they are going to switch the chrome lined ones to Nato in the future due to customer demand. I know that SAAMI says not to shoot 5.56 in a .223 chambered gun, but Armalite says it's fine. --Chance

If we are talking about .223 Remington SAAMI-spec chambers in an AR15, OH NO!

Do NOT use such a chambering if you EVER plan on shooting any military NATO 5.56 ammo, which happens to be only the most common, least expensive and most widely used AR15 cartridge available in all the world. In other words, NEVER buy/use a SAAMI-spec chamber in a battle rifle, especially if the barrel and chamber are chromed, as you cannot fix it!

Here's the problem. Many NATO cartridges have bullets that will become jammed into the rifling of a SAAMI chambering (the throat is too short). This is VERY DANGEROUS, for a grat number of reasons.

Fulton Armory uses a "5.56 Match" chambering in its rifles/uppers/barrels (in fact our barrels are marked as such), which is a slightly modified SAAMI chamber with a tad longer throat to accommodate NATO bullets. The Fulton Armory 5.56 Match chamber allows for the safe and reliable use of all SAAMI and NATO ammo, while offering the accuracy potential of the SAAMI chamberings with match commercial cartridges. Remember, there's often a large difference between bolt guns and military rifles. This particularly true for the 5.56 vs .223; Fulton Armory is well known for the finest performance for any given platform, and our 5.56 Match chamber is one way we achieve that performance with the AR-15-type rifle.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Clint McKee

Thanks guys. So I guess what this guy is saying is you can run 5.56 and .223 out of an AR-15. It is the bolt action .223 you dont want too shoot the 5.56 out of. Correct.
    I just ordered Wolf .223. Ah hell if it blows up I will see yah when we get there.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    there are some differences in the three chambers for the 223/5.56.

most ar-15 barrels made recently are 5.56 chambered. it is not the most accurate but it is the most dependable and can stand the most pressure.

you don't get into the other two types of chambers less your building a scoped tack-driver.
    If we are talking about .223 Remington SAAMI-spec chambers in an AR15, OH NO!

So my shorty is marked 5.56. The first box of ammo I run through it was Wally Worlds Remington .223. Great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.