Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: build vs buy

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Postak build vs buy

i was just looking over DSAs sale and got to thinking. hey you can build a complete 16" m4 clone for not too much bread with these lowers and upsers on sale.
    DSA ZM4 Stripped Lower Receiver - DSZM4R-D S Arms
    so i did the math

zm4 nitrite treated barrel upper $275

DSA lower blem $ 60

DSA LPK (i think these are LMT) $70

DSA 6 position stock kit $50

DSA SA carrier with bolt $110

DSA charging handle $18

total for a complete m4 kit including the lower $580-= s&h and transfer from ffl-for a DSA no less!

this is a very good deal for everything to build a high quality AR. quite a bit of savings for a few minutes it takes to assemble an AR-15!

first time kit builders need to get on this one!

Guy with guns & a Pitbull 6klub's Avatar
    Feedback Score

I'm working off the same theory myself( BUILT), So i think you're in the right direction.

you can get some of the other bits cheater from other site check Del ton, Jabtac and AIM....

just my thoughts...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Postak

Quote Originally Posted by 6klub View Post
    I'm working off the same theory myself( BUILT), So i think you're in the right direction.

you can get some of the other bits cheater from other site check Del ton, Jabtac and AIM....

just my thoughts...

if you put in delton or jse parts it won't all be an DSA build though.

and if you factor in the shipping your not going to save much shipping the other items in a order from some other place.

if i was going to build one i would use a heavy m-16 bcg. but that is just what i like--not a have to.

if the goal is to just be cheap AKparts has a few kits for around $400--you could build a parts bin rifle for around $480 which is dirt cheap for an ar-15 clone.

but only $100 more for a $1,000 DSA is a heck of a deal any way you slice it.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Smile

Oh my God.. Oh sure j4. Just watch this film and it is a piece of cake to build. Yeah rite.
    Keep in mind now. 42 years since I touched one of these black rifles.
    I begged Pirate for the instruction manual. He said he threw it out.
    Getting the mag in was easy. Then I could not remember how the hell it released. I just kept pushing buttons till it fell out.
    The bolt. No problem. We "25 year Gunny D.I. Marine" and me took it apart.
    He is coming back today and we are putting it back together. Sober this time.
    I bought C mags 5.45.. Four of us had too sit on the damn thing to get the rounds in. I beat the last four in with a hammer.
    Maybe it was the wrong mag. Hell I dont know, they fit anyway.
    Today the Gunny is going to help us figure out how to work the adjustable rear stock.
    We pulled and pulled and it wont stretch. Stuck it is I guess.
    I am calling Pirate today. I want my instruction manual.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

geepers 4th-- maybe you could download the army tec manual?

since you built a number of Ak's this AR should be a piece of cake.

the only problem i have with building any AR is that tiny flea sized spring loaded retaining pin that keeps the front pivot pin in place sometimes shoots into outer space.

i am too cheap to buy that $8 tool and insist on making it work with a buck knife!

the next sometimes problem is getting the barrel nut in time with the gas tube-- on a few upper builds it seems the bolt will either be loose and match up to the gas tube or be tight and have a barrel nut lug either warping the gas tube or blocking it--

i have only encountered this once though. if you get an assembled upper this ain't going to be a problem.

you don't even have to have the proper tools. common tools like channel lock pliers can be used to assemble a normal kit that has the upper with the barrel installed.

let me see if i can find you a link to the tec manual--http://www.quarterbore.com/library/pdfindex.html

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Feedback Score

What I like about building one yerself is that you can spend as little or as much on it as you want and build it as fast or as slow as you want to depending on some of the furnature pieces you want on it or what type of barrel you want along with sights n trigger kits.....my 1st build is just an M4gery and it took me a couple months just because money was tight. My 2nd build took about 3 months because of the fancy stuff I had put on it.
    -“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
    -“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home” - John Wayne
    -"This world is rough and if a man wants to make it he's gotta be tough" - Johnny Cash

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    Great link. Thank you j4.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
    Great link. Thank you j4.

anytime 4th!
    although i am no expert on the micky mouse poodle shooter nor the akm i'll be happy to assist if i can--

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Postak

Quote Originally Posted by RatTerrier View Post
    What I like about building one yerself is that you can spend as little or as much on it as you want and build it as fast or as slow as you want to depending on some of the furnature pieces you want on it or what type of barrel you want along with sights n trigger kits.....my 1st build is just an M4gery and it took me a couple months just because money was tight. My 2nd build took about 3 months because of the fancy stuff I had put on it.

i like shopping around on my builds too. i just ordered two of those excellent dsa lowers. don't know what kind of builds i will use them for yet. probably be well into next year before i get one of them built.

i generally don't buy a full fledged "kit" cause i like certain bolt carrier groups and most kit deals i find come with more of a generic BCG. i also like certain barrels but i an not as picky about barrels as BCGs.

when i shop around i can scrounge the parts i want for just a little over what a packaged "kit" would cost.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.