AR-15 mags from best to worst.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 mags from best to worst.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Postak AR-15 mags from best to worst.

best mags on the market today from my experience with uncle sam and some shooting at home.

#1 best all around mag for the ar-15 or m16 type of firearm -- magpull P-mag. if you want your AR to run like a clock in the worst conditions on the planet this is the one to get. early p-mags may fit a bit tight is some lowers. newer ones fit everything well. hell there even reasonably priced going for around $14-$15. this mag is better stronger and more reliable than any mag made. you want the best this is it! they come in 20 and 30rd with a new 40rd about to hit the stores.

#2 NHMTG, labelle, D&H gi type mags-- they run exceptionally well in aluminum or steel 20 & 30rd size. the green GI no tilt follower is fine but the magpull no tilt follower is a bit better. they can be had from $8.50 to about $12. they are not as strong nor can they take the abuse the mag-pull mags can. they can also absorb dust and grit which can cause jams. if you keep them clean they work very well. this group also includes bushmaster,DPMS,colt,ect as they are made by either NHMTG or D&H

#3 c-products stainless steel and aluminum mags with no tilt followers 20, 30 and 40 round. i have been buying these mostly because of their low prices lately. i have hit them on sale for $6.99 a time or two.

C-products makes a lot of conversion mags like 5.45x39,7.62x39,6.5G.6.8spc in stainless. they had a sort of spotty reputation a while back--may have turned out a few junk mags during the panic. i have a bunch of them in 5.45x39,7.62x39,6.5g and 5.56.

lately i have been buying up some aluminum 20 & 30rd mags at super low prices around $6.99 a pop. so far they seem to be as good a quality as D&H which is to say very good. a good budget mag to stock up on that runs very well. in use the same as the D&H= good mag not as good as the p-mag though.

#4 ROK surplus 30rd stainless maritime mags. normally i hate imported AR type mags with a passion. these are supposed to be a military contract overrun of the infamous and overpriced HK super mag. i don't know if they are a copy of the HK or the stainless C-mag but the few i have seem to work fine. i would rate it up there with the other GI type mags. a very good mag but no p-mag! they have been going for $9.99 to about $11 each

#5 GI surplus mags-- aluminum or steel. these can be great or they can suck. 20rd mags seem to be the most problem prone. a nice 30rd mag with the green no tilt follower can be a good mag. if you get them for a good price they can be upgraded with c-products or magpull no tilt followers and be as good as the newer made ones. i bought a foot locker full of them decades ago and just got around to the new followers upgrade. watch for bent feed lips of splitting spot welds. can't give a price as these are gun-show haggle things. last i bought was about $6 a pop.

mags that i haven't used that might be good. try at your own risk-

thermold master molder-20rd-could be OK the $3.99 price is tempting to try a few. generally when a mag is this cheap i haven't fared well. i think that is what i bought those terrible thermolds for!

tango down ARC--- another pmag wanna be. might be good. some places selling them for $9.99 makes them tempting to try.ugly as a shit sandwich and still ain't a p-mag though!

lancer --now i had some of those lancer ar-15/mini-14 mags years ago and they were the best mags at that time for the mini. the new mags are ar-15 only but i think they would be a good bet. seems like they were $9.99 somewhere. if i was going to try a new one this would be it.

HK mags overpriced & pretty tough. i would buy some if i couldn't get three+ p-nags for the same $$. i have run some ammo through a couple of them. don't currently own any HK mags though.

good mags though. probably hold up slightly better than other steel mags. i don't think it is better than the P-mag. if i was still in the sand pit i would still stick with the Ps even if they were the same price.from what i have seen the ROK stainless mag is very close to an exact copy of the HK, their priced right --$9 to about $12. i say forget the $40 name on the $15 mag and spend that on a spare bolt!

i never ran the SIG mags--there likely good mags though i doubt i"ll ever buy any. the P's run so well i can't even see trying them unless i find um on a blowout sale or something.

brownwells & ar-stoner these are made by D&H or c-products --they should be good. haven't tried any myself yet.

mags that SUCK

# 1 imported steel or aluminum mags with very few exceptions.

they are all ways too soft, the feed lips bend, with the crappy spot welds if they even have enough welds to start with often fail swelling the mag in the well. weak springs, tilting followers,steel rusts at the first hint of rain,aluminum one bends just looking at the shitty things! double-feed bolt override city! only use these to practice jam clearing or to show what not to buy!

#2 IDF and Canadian thermolds! if your in Canada setting on a block of ice in the middle of a freezing tundra --and got your fingers crossed then MAYBE these shitty things will be rigid enough to keep the rounds from popping out of those feeble plastic feed lips. but i doubt it. jam fricking city!

#3 old 20rd USGI mags aluminum with that gold/brass colored finish on the metal. these things were made way before the no tilt followers came out so rounds tilt around and crash dive into things they shouldn't and worst of all if you have fired a bunch of rounds and load one of these things into a HOT rifle--it is going to be fun getting this bastard stepchild of a mag back out! i do feel for the GI's sent into combat back in the 60s with these things!

USA brand mags & triple K --now i haven't used these myself but their bad reputation i don't think i am going to try. they may have made some good mags one time or the other but i don't like grab bag deals. i did have some once for a mini-14 though and they sucked.

the good news is there are more good mags on the market than bad. and you can get the really good to excellent mags from $7 to $15 so there is no excuse to put up with garbage mags for the AR-15.

drums -- i haven't used ar drums enough to have an opinion--YOYO!
    Last edited by j427x; 05-01-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

you make no mention of the H&K mags. IMO they're the shits. pricey though.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by flopshot View Post
    you make no mention of the H&K mags. IMO they're the shits. pricey though.

i did-- the ROK copy is just as good. costs $9

Feedback Score

I got a Lancer poly mag with the hardened steel feed lips a few months back when they where on sale and I love it. Great mag so far.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by joezx10r View Post
    I got a Lancer poly mag with the hardened steel feed lips a few months back when they where on sale and I love it. Great mag so far.

i figured they were pretty good mags. i haven't had one since the 80s--new ones could be better than the ones we had back in the good old days.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

How about the Isreali Orlites? I have some of those but have never heated them up.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

USGI 20's are some of the most reliable mags available IMO. I never had a failure with one when I was in the ARMY or now.
    “Freedom. And Justice. If you have those two, it covers everything. You must stick to those principles and have the courage of your convictions.” - Ian Smith

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Never had any major issues with the USGI mags, just got a PMAG to test and will probably look for some ROK maritime mags as well. Having said that I have some 40 rd. promags that I swapped the followers on and they run great, as many bad comments I've heard on them but they run well.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tanvil View Post
    How about the Isreali Orlites? I have some of those but have never heated them up.
    that is some of those i got from CDNN years ago for $4 each.

they have been troublesome for me, though i have seen worse.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Never had any major issues with the USGI mags, just got a PMAG to test and will probably look for some ROK maritime mags as well. Having said that I have some 40 rd. promags that I swapped the followers on and they run great, as many bad comments I've heard on them but they run well.
    try the 40rd c-products stainless or the new 40rd p-mag if you want a reliable 40rd mag.

you can make anything run at least some. the pro mags i had for the mini would run some. the problem they had was dead soft feed lips. even normal use would bend the lips enough out of shape to get double feeds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.