DPMS or Century AR15
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: DPMS or Century AR15

  1. #1
    Gunco Member American Rage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    253
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default DPMS or Century AR15

    I've got a lot of money in my AR. Still, I feel I need another one. One that won't cost an arm and a leg. So, who's better at building ARs? DPMS? Or Century?

    The Century that I'm lookin' at is a 20" model with A1 sights for $720.

    The DPMS is a 16" model with A2 sights and a detatchable carry handle for $730.

    Which would you choose and why?

    The Century gives me more range, but I really prefer the A2 sights.

    The DPMS has the A2 sights, but I hate the knobs that stick out on the left side.

    The DPMS is a promo sale only good for the next 24 hours, should I decide to purchase it.

    The Century is not on sale, and the price should remain the same for at least a few weeks.

    This will be my last AR. I want something that isn't expensive, accurate, and fairly light weight. Truthfully, it'll be my spare, loaner (i.e., what I'll give to friends and relatives if and when shtf), girlfriend rifle all rolled into one.

    Which would you choose and why?


    Thanks


    Rage

  2. #2
    GuncoHolic BBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,200
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    Default

    You can put one together for less than that

  3. #3
    gunco irregular moleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Posts
    3,395
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

    Default

    Its been a couple years since I've looked at a dpms, but I've never been impressed with them. The one I had was loose in the mag well front to back so not all mag followers would activate the bolt hold open. My hunting buddies barrel extension came undone while putting on a free float tube. Another friend brought over his work rifle for me to put a sling mount on it and the finish on it was heavily sand blasted finish. Even on the charging handle and buffer tube? How crappy is your maching that you feel compelled to mask everything with a sandblaster? Maybe it was a low bid government contract thing, but I don't think so.
    Century has a spoty record for quality control. I agree with BBill in that you can put one together for cheaper and you'll most likely end up with a better gun.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    Gunco.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Gunco Addicted for life j427x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    9,349
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

    Default

    i think CDNN still has a few of those optics flattops smith and wesson m4 types on sale for $699. the smith is considered better than either of those. you once got like 20 mags free to boot --i don't know if they still give away mags with an ar anymore though.

    as far as i know there is nothing wrong with the DPMS or the century other than they are more of the middle of the road types.

    if i had to get an AR-15 type today i would build one of those DSA $275 m4 uppers with that $60 DSA blem lower. you can finish it up with a $50 LPK. $105 bcg,$15 charging handle and a cheapo $30 CAR stock this adds up to about $535 plus shipping and transfer fee for the lower.


    even cheaper still a AK.parts $400 kit and a $60 DSA blem lower--you probably looking at $500 when you add shipping and transfer fees. some frett about the quality of these. i haven't built one. i have seen a few that were finished they seemed OK but the finish on the uppers looked rough and the plastic stuff looked a bit on the cheap side. but they did shoot OK.

    since the most the DSA build could cost might be $100 more and you can pick and chose your bolt carriers and other parts. the DSA cost more than a grand for the rifle in retail. the DSA will have considerable better re-sale value than a a DPMS or century and way more than a AK-parts kit as well. don't think it re-sale value would be as good as the smith though? might be wrong on that though.

  6. #5
    Gunco Addicted for life j427x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    9,349
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

    Postak

    Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    Its been a couple years since I've looked at a dpms, but I've never been impressed with them. The one I had was loose in the mag well front to back so not all mag followers would activate the bolt hold open. My hunting buddies barrel extension came undone while putting on a free float tube. Another friend brought over his work rifle for me to put a sling mount on it and the finish on it was heavily sand blasted finish. Even on the charging handle and buffer tube? How crappy is your maching that you feel compelled to mask everything with a sandblaster? Maybe it was a low bid government contract thing, but I don't think so.
    Century has a spoty record for quality control. I agree with BBill in that you can put one together for cheaper and you'll most likely end up with a better gun.

    i think DPMS and oly put out some crappy stuff years ago. i have handled a number of DPMS rifles in recent years and they were all very good on the machine work.

    to the OP--if you want a DPMS i think you should shop around a bit more. i have seen them for closer to $600

    i also forgot to mention Del-ton for kits, JSE for kits and parts and J&T for kits. you can get a very decent kit for $400+ with everything you need for a build EXCEPT the lower.

    PS i think the CDNN $699 S&W ar-15 deal expired yesterday at 15:00H
    Last edited by j427x; 05-09-2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: additional info

  7. #6
    Gunco Member American Rage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    253
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    I've thought about putting one together. A local store had a Delaware Machine lower for around $108 out the door. That's cheaper than the $60 blem lower by the time I add shipping and FFL fees to the price.

    My problem with building one centers around headspacing. I have no clue how to do it, and don't know that I trust myself if I did.

    Still, I've considered it frequently.

    Those DSA uppers for $275 sure sound like a great deal.

    Anybody got a link?

    Thanks to all for answering.


    Rage

  8. #7
    Gunco Veteran Markp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Somalia
    Posts
    1,840
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post
    I've thought about putting one together. A local store had a Delaware Machine lower for around $108 out the door. That's cheaper than the $60 blem lower by the time I add shipping and FFL fees to the price.

    My problem with building one centers around headspacing. I have no clue how to do it, and don't know that I trust myself if I did.

    Still, I've considered it frequently.

    Those DSA uppers for $275 sure sound like a great deal.

    Anybody got a link?

    Thanks to all for answering.


    Rage
    Copes has complete colt kits for $499... how can you go wrong... I have one of these, great shooter.

    Mark

  9. #8
    Gunco Addicted for life j427x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    9,349
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post
    I've thought about putting one together. A local store had a Delaware Machine lower for around $108 out the door. That's cheaper than the $60 blem lower by the time I add shipping and FFL fees to the price.

    My problem with building one centers around headspacing. I have no clue how to do it, and don't know that I trust myself if I did.

    Still, I've considered it frequently.

    Those DSA uppers for $275 sure sound like a great deal.

    Anybody got a link?

    Thanks to all for answering.


    Rage
    one of the reasons AR-15m16s are so well loved is the easy smithing on them.

    the AR-15/m16 series head space off the barrel extension. all barrel-extension/barrels combos are set up at the factory to head space on a new bolt. the barrel and its extension are head spaced as a unit.

    so any new bolt and new barrel --even a bolt of another make--will head space proper on a new barrel.

    a colt barrel and LMT bolt--no problem . a DPMS bolt and a wilson barrel? no problem. ANY in spec bolt will headspace on any barrel & extension that is built to GI spec provided their not worn.

    i all ways check the head space on all AR uppers i build anyway just in case some one slipped in a bad part.

    but if i didn't have all the correct tools and was building only one rifle i would feel OK with getting the parts and bolting them up provided they came from a good outfit.

    the great thing about being modular as long as everybody is on the same page their parts will work.

    aside from a few fly-by night parts sources and a few shady folks tossing some import junk you have about 100% parts interchangeability.

    the only time i have ever seen quality ar-15 bolts that wouldn't head space were some very old GI surplus bolts and new barrels.


    here is some links to DSA. now remember this is a factory--it ain't one of those mall-ninja botquie places that fill your order in seconds and ship the next day. it takes up to two weeks to get an order filled and shipped.

    the do have mid-length and chromed lined barrels for a little more--$300 and $325 i think.
    DSA ZM4 Forged 7075T6 A3 AR15 Upper Receiver - DSZM4CBU-D S Arms
    here is some links
    Lowers & Uppers-D S Arms
    AR15/M16 Rifles-D S Arms

  10. #9
    Gunco Member American Rage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    253
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    one of the reasons AR-15m16s are so well loved is the easy smithing on them.

    the AR-15/m16 series head space off the barrel extension. all barrel-extension/barrels combos are set up at the factory to head space on a new bolt. the barrel and its extension are head spaced as a unit.

    so any new bolt and new barrel --even a bolt of another make--will head space proper on a new barrel.

    a colt barrel and LMT bolt--no problem . a DPMS bolt and a wilson barrel? no problem. ANY in spec bolt will headspace on any barrel & extension that is built to GI spec provided their not worn.

    i all ways check the head space on all AR uppers i build anyway just in case some one slipped in a bad part.

    but if i didn't have all the correct tools and was building only one rifle i would feel OK with getting the parts and bolting them up provided they came from a good outfit.

    the great thing about being modular as long as everybody is on the same page their parts will work.

    aside from a few fly-by night parts sources and a few shady folks tossing some import junk you have about 100% parts interchangeability.

    the only time i have ever seen quality ar-15 bolts that wouldn't head space were some very old GI surplus bolts and new barrels.


    here is some links to DSA. now remember this is a factory--it ain't one of those mall-ninja botquie places that fill your order in seconds and ship the next day. it takes up to two weeks to get an order filled and shipped.

    the do have mid-length and chromed lined barrels for a little more--$300 and $325 i think.
    DSA ZM4 Forged 7075T6 A3 AR15 Upper Receiver - DSZM4CBU-D S Arms
    here is some links
    Lowers & Uppers-D S Arms
    AR15/M16 Rifles-D S Arms

    Great info! Thanks a million!!! After reading what people wrote overnight/this morning, I did a web search and found DSA's website. Yeah, those $300 mid-lengths w/ fluted barrels sure sound nice.

    Rage

  11. #10
    Gunco Member American Rage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    253
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Markp View Post
    Copes has complete colt kits for $499... how can you go wrong... I have one of these, great shooter.

    Mark
    Copes?

    Another web search is in order.


    Rage

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •