Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ARs suck, they get all dirty and stuff. [56k warning]

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up

Interesting posts on lubing these new fangled shootin implements.
    Hell I did not know they had to be lubed.
    Great info bellson and Toten Kopf..
    What the heck is a gas key?
    I watched a bunch of videos on You Tube on lubing them. They said too use bearing grease. Good bad??
    What do you guys use?
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Gas key, ya know that key ya use to unlock your gas cap on the truck..... Oh, an AR15 Gas key! The little thingie bolted to the top of the carrier that fits over the gas tube when the action is closed. Gets the gas from the tube down into the carrier to cycle the action.

I use regular old hoppes gun oil on most stuff, extreme pressure areas like the face of the hammer where it hits the carrier I use some moly grease for cars.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by kernelkrink View Post
    Gas key, ya know that key ya use to unlock your gas cap on the truck..... Oh, an AR15 Gas key! The little thingie bolted to the top of the carrier that fits over the gas tube when the action is closed. Gets the gas from the tube down into the carrier to cycle the action.

I use regular old hoppes gun oil on most stuff, extreme pressure areas like the face of the hammer where it hits the carrier I use some moly grease for cars.
    Thank you Kernel..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score

In the cold grease will gum them up, and even some oils will. If you're gonna be using it in the cold, stick with thin oils. I use ATF on mine. Pretty much get it wet wherever it rubs.

I had one lock up on me when I accidentally ran it dry. It fired 3 rounds and locked up. It stuck with the bolt halfway back, I pulled the collapsible stock off so I wouldn't wreck it and pulled on the charging handle while hitting the buffer tube on the ground and it got unstuck...

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

If ya don't have bolts backing out, your gas key is properly staked. I've never seen it happen. I've run alot of rounds through AR's but never in a combat situation, as some of you guys have.
    My only stopages have been from a batch of my hand loads that I crushed the shoulder while crimping before I bought the Lee factory crimp die. The only one they got stuck in was my wifes Bushmaster A2, but believe me, they were REAL stuck. And it happened several times before I figured out why. I eventually shot them all up in a different rifle just to get the brass back.
    For oil I use Breakfree. On just about everything. The stuff is amazing.
    ATF sounds like a damn good idea though.
    I use white lithium grease on the M1As, just because I've always been told you're supposed to.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up Very interesting..

Good info on lubing and staking. Will follow you guys advice. Thank you.
    Just kind of wondering how lubing them in a sandy environment would be for the guys in the Sand Box.
    Just kind of think lube and sand would be a bad combination?
    I would want to run them dry. No lube.

Feedback Score

Run a dry lube in situations like that, like militec. It might not be "approved", but it sure as hell is better than running them dry.

Quote Originally Posted by tanvil View Post
    My only stopages have been from a batch of my hand loads that I crushed the shoulder while crimping before I bought the Lee factory crimp die.
    I did that once too, but I didn't have issues, even though the case shoulder was expanded to a larger diameter than the rim on some of them. Maybe it's because I don't clean the case lube off when I'm just going to shoot the ammo up right away. I did have troubles clearing the chamber once one of those rounds was chambered though, had to do do the buttstock on the ground trick.

I haven't ever seen gas key screws back out either, but since others put sooooo much emphasis on it I tend to notice it...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

What is DRY LUBE?
    M U S I B I K E

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MUSIBIKE View Post
    What is DRY LUBE?
    This stuff MUSIBIKE I guess?
    MILITEC-1 automotive and industrial grease for the ultimate protectionThe Ultra - Premium Extreme Pressure
    Multi - Purpose
    Lithium - Complex Grease

BENEFITS OF MILITEC-1 GREASE
      • Reduced maintenance, extended lubricating intervals, increased equipment life
      • Reduction in operating temperatures - typically 10F to 25F
      • Extended bearing life - as much as 35% to 50%
      • Reduces corrosion, wear and galling
      • Stays in place and lubricates in the most severe conditions
      • Extremely wide variety of applications
      • Compatible with other lithium complex greases
      • Versatile temperature ranges
      • Bearings remain lubricated even after the grease is used
      • Prevents rust and oxidation
      • Excellent water washout resistance
      • Superior shock-load protection
    MILITEC-1 - The ONLY all-purpose synthetic metal conditioner and gun oil
    MILITEC-1 - The ONLY all-purpose synthetic metal conditioner and gun oil

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by MUSIBIKE View Post
    What is DRY LUBE?
    militec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.