Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: ARs suck, they get all dirty and stuff. [56k warning]

Feedback Score

Yup, militec's the stuff. I've never tried their grease though, I tend to shy away from grease on anything but 1911s and garands.

Gunco Veteran AK Builder FloridaAKM's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Don't forget the M-14's & M1A's for the grease in the receiver~
    Quote Originally Posted by [486] View Post
    Yup, militec's the stuff. I've never tried their grease though, I tend to shy away from grease on anything but 1911s and garands.

"If God had not intended for us to eat animals, how come He made them out of meat?" - Sarah Palin
    New Member of the Busted Box Club

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Taking your gun to the range is a lot different than having to use it in a combat environment. A lot of things that work in the safe to range senario don't work in the

My buddy ran dry lube when he was over in Iraq. If you oiled them up, they attracted the all prevailing powdery mix of dust and sh!t that was everywhere they went. It didn't just mess up their guns, it screwed with anything that it could get into. The only weapons that they never had problems with were the breaching shotguns, M203s, M240s and the M2 machineguns. The Mk19s sometimes broke the mounts on the vehicles. They broke stocks on M249s, the large belt box wasn't liked too much, and parts got shined up fast as finish wore off otherwise they were good. Their M4s and M9s had to be cleaned at least everyday sometimes twice or they stopped working. The M9s had to have the mags cleaned regularly and you had to test them as some mags just didn't work. The couple of M16A2s that were in his unit were less likely to screw up than the M4s, but they were hard to deal with due them getting in and out of vehicles to do foot patrols or raids. He never saw the guy with the scoped M14 clean the rifle partway through the day. He had nothing but good to say about the aimpoint that he was issued. It got abused and bashed around ans still worked. Everyone felt safer on foot than in the up armored Hummers. He said that he wished that they would have had strykers instead.

The AK47s and AKMs that they captured were dirty or rusty and poorly maintained, but they worked. Some of the captured ammo that they sampled had bad primers. The insurgents in general couldn't hit sh!t and would repeat poor tactics over and over. They were good at making bombs though and almost all of their casualties were accidents and IEDs. A lot of the mortars that they captured were incomplete, which explained how they could get mortared quite a bit and shells didn't seem to reliably land in their compound. The insurgents feared the M2 more than the Mk19 probably because there wasn't much that you can hide behind that will stop the 50.

My buddy said that he would rather have a clean M4 than a clean AKM, but if he had to have a dirty weapon it would be the AKM.

-yarro

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by yarro
    Taking your gun to the range is a lot different than having to use it in a combat environment. A lot of things that work in the safe to range senario don't work in the
    Amen to that, I keep the "go to" guns clean and lubed. If you're wondering what they are, they're the mossberg 590 with ghost rings, and a chinese SKS that has never jammed on me, and that ain't for not shooting it! I figger that 10 rounds is plenty for anything that'll break in, and the SKS is plenty easy to reload too, so it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaAKM View Post
    Don't forget the M-14's & M1A's for the grease in the receiver~
    Ain't got one... If offered the choice of one, or it's worth in ammo I'd take the ammo, FAL's gotta eat.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.