Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: AR-15 BLOWS UP..

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

There isn't enough gun powder in that pipe bomb to "rip off" the upper. You have to have some serious shear forces to overcome the metal in the barrel extension and also the receiver. That much powder won't make it happen. The occasional blown out .308s that have made their way to the Interweb have suffered only minor damage similar to this. The M14 that had a receiver failure years ago was attributed to poor metal for the receiver that caused defects. That is the exception.

Unless yo'ure talking catastrophic failure of a .50. That may do it. Catastrophic failures that rip the metal receivers to shreds would require dynamite-level charges... I read about some booby-trapped ammo we placed in Vietnam used in enemy AKs and those caused legendary failures.
    Gunco Member #10

http://pookieweb.net

The "original" Boltcutter Rivet Squeezers:
    http://pookieweb.net/AK/rivet/boltcutters/boltcutter.htm

Project Pink - the Pink and Blue AK-74:
    http://pookieweb.net/pink/pink.htm

D-R
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Jeez, less forward assisty, more checky chamber perhaps?

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by mtdew View Post
    "Pop no kick". Drilled into our heads in basic untill it we automaticly ceased fire and cleared the weapon.
    Amen, drilled straight in there by a master of drilling.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Sometimes it's other things... also.. Story Police rifle range Winchester white box Factory 223 round was forced into the chamber with the forward assist..WHO KNOWS WHY or WHAT.. barrel was not Bulged..

Feedback Score

Should just go pre-a1 and remove the dang forward assist. For closing the bolt on a loaded round then you can just push on the scallop on the bolt carrier visable through the ejection port.

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Bolt2bounce, was that an out of battery? It just looks like that from the way the extractor is bent back and the missing piece of the case head that wouldn't of been contained by the bolt head.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gunkgy View Post
    I still charge the cases with powder 1 case at a time, placing them in a shell tray. When the shell tray is full, I use a flash light and look inside everyone of them. It may be slower to do it that way, but have never had a squib.
    +1

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Post hc..

Quote Originally Posted by hcpookie View Post
    There isn't enough gun powder in that pipe bomb to "rip off" the upper. You have to have some serious shear forces to overcome the metal in the barrel extension and also the receiver. That much powder won't make it happen. The occasional blown out .308s that have made their way to the Interweb have suffered only minor damage similar to this. The M14 that had a receiver failure years ago was attributed to poor metal for the receiver that caused defects. That is the exception.

Unless yo'ure talking catastrophic failure of a .50. That may do it. Catastrophic failures that rip the metal receivers to shreds would require dynamite-level charges... I read about some booby-trapped ammo we placed in Vietnam used in enemy AKs and those caused legendary failures.
    That may have been a story I posted awhile back. Special OPs troops discovered a large cache of munitions in, I believe Laos.
    Rather than call in an air strike. Remember we were never there.
    Guy comes up with a good idea. Sabotage just the Chinese ammo. So it will blow up the rifles when fired.
    The brave souls would sneak in at night and make it so the Chinese only AK rounds, would blow up in guys faces who fired it. What they used I can not answer.
    The North Vietnamese became afraid too fire the massive amount of Chinese ammo supplies they had.
    Until it leaked too the press about the operation, aprox. one year. It almost started a war with North Vietnam and China.
    Dirty tricks win wars.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

It may have been a OB lugs are not broken so it looks like it,, but I'm guessing it was a chamber obstruction causing the round to not chamber all the way.. B2B

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.