Gunco Forums banner

.22 conversion questions

792 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  moleman 
#1 ·
So I just bought a CMMG conversion online. $125 with a 26 round mag.:nanabang: What I would like to know is how exacly does it operate? I mean does the recoil spring seat against the buffer detent? Cause if so Ill have to add one to my lower sence I choose not to use one. Also would plugging the gas block port help or hurt? I feel dumb for asking these questions but sence I dont have it here yet to look at I cant wrap my head around how it works.

#2 ·
I have a M261 adaptor and it rests against the top of the buffer tube/receiver area. Mine has a sort of flat spring tensioner to keep the adaptor pressed up against the barrel. I'm pretty sure they all are secured that way and after looking at a cmmg unit it has the back plate with a nub that sticks up and abuts against the same area. After 15 years of use I noticed the spring had been squished and was no longer taking up the slack in the upper to keep it from hammering back and forth during recoil. I didn't notice any damage to my lower because of it and it still functioned normally. Sarco had a repair pack for it and I replaced the damaged spring.
Clean your chamber before switching to 223/556 or you can have a case stick. I found that out the hard way and it ripped off a case rim and bent the extractor pin. The 22lr in the ar15 seems quieter than in a 22lr rifle. The only thing I can figure is that some of the gas is getting diverted to the gas system and quieting the report.

#3 ·
Ok so I shot around 300 rounds threw it today of Reminton golden bullet but had at least one or two in every mag fail to eject. Sent the girl friend out for some Federals and she came back with Winchester bulk 555 and it jammed just about every other round or wouldnt fully seat the bolt and would not fire. The Remintons seemed really dirty so I moved my gas block foward to just let some of that junk out and not back into the action and it seemed to help but I think it just dosnt like the less rounded bullet of the Winchester. Im going to get some Federals like the kit says to use and hope it solves the problem.

#4 ·
Mine feeds best with a round nosed bullet like the remington lightning bulk pacs. The M261 kit I have is very ammo sensitive and seems to do the best with those and the winchester version of it. My other ammo sensitive gun is a ruger MKII competition gun, it won't feed federal well either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.