Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 223 under $4 a box sale

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Postak

Quote Originally Posted by BBill View Post
    I've shot about 500 rds thru a Rock River that shoots anything- kinda dirty but thats why I buy russian ammo-it's cheap! Bill

did you get that batch from cabellas or CTD?

this underpowered batch came from CTD-- no way this crap will run reliable with a stock sized port.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Smile Wow.

I wrote that and missed the post by BBill on the Rock Rivers.
    Go back too the site where you bought the ammo. I want too see your review of the stuff.
    O.K. o.k. I got a bad batch of Seillor and Bellot 9mm. So I will stop teasing you.. Every 5th round went bang.
    When the ad reads. "No return on this ammo"
    I guess they are trying too tell us something.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i pulled the bullets on 10 rounds and measured the powder-- and compared the amount to one wolf 55grain load.

4 rounds very low on powder

3 rounds all-most enough

3 rounds a small bit over.

could be a comedy of errors going on here-- i won't know for sure till a test fire some more. i am going to use the 16"m4 charles daily upper. the shortie upper with a new buffer tube set up. and i am going to fire a few rounds out of the AK . i'll also do some testing with the crono.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

another thing that may be helping screw things up is my little $30 CAR stock. it is a UTG china part that i just added to give the xm-177 the correct look.

when i test fired it before and it ran great with the golden bear it had a m4 stock & tube.

on measuring the buffer tube on the UTG it is a bit shorter than the m4 adjustable --just under 1/2 an inch shorter. with a shorter tube the spring is going to have more pressure against the buffer & bolt.

i think this combined with the spotty ammo is the problem with shortie.this may be why i had a short stroke with the golden bear that had run so well with before.

i'll give the tula a try in the m4 type and the ak and see if they have any problems with the stuff.

sometimes you got to backtrack a "change" to correct a glitch.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

ok just got back from a few more test rounds.

results from the 16" CD 2,830 fps, 2890fps, 2690fps, 2720fps, 2,910fps, 2,650fps ,2707fps, 2780fps, 2783fps, 2691fps

speeds form the 16" ak barrel about the same.

the speeds the tula is giving from a 16" are far short of the 3150fps claimed. if this ammo was worth a shit we would be seeing much closer to 3,000 fps from the 16 inch barrels. ALL the test speeds are lower than their supposed to be.

speeds from the 11.5" are even worse--so bad i don't want to print them!

the CD 16" ate the rounds up without fuss as did the AK. no malfunctions or short strokes. i did only 40 rounds each so i might have got lucky and 80 rounds that would cycle??

after the tune up with the very weak recoil spring, a new longer buffer tube and a light weight buffer the 11.5" will nearly run the stuff, i fired 40 rounds and got two empty chambers from short stroking.

it would take a very light spring to get shortie to work with this ammo.

this ammo is right on the margin for use in a AR-15 type rifle. it is really not optimal for an AK either due to low velocities but the AK is a bit more forgiving of bad ammo than an AR is.

i don't know if ALL tula ammo is this bad. i might have just got a bad lot. but i would hate to be in a fighting position and depending on this crap.

i don't think i'll be buying any more of this. my advice spend a few more bucks on wolf, golden bear, silver bear, reloads--anything. even though i have got this to work in the 16" it certainly ain't trustworthy and will all ways be suspect. even an adjustable gas block or enlarging the gas port wouldn't be ideal because the ammo varies so much from one round to the next.

accuracy was ok. i was able to hit cans and bottles @75- 80m with ease off hand with the 11.5" --open sights no less.

on the ak & 16" barrel CD i also noticed big fireballs out of the muzzle every so often like the powder is burning way too slow?

some weird acting ammo that's for sure.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    did you get that batch from cabellas or CTD?

this underpowered batch came from CTD-- no way this crap will run reliable with a stock sized port.
    Hell no!! I think I stepped on my you know what- I bought 1,000 rds at the last Indy Gun and Knife show. It seems to do OK on a Rock River Mid but I want ALL my 15's to shoot whatever- Got about 5-6,000 various makes and if SHTF I don't want to be sorting stuff out!!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Postak

Hell no!! I think I stepped on my you know what- I bought 1,000 rds at the last Indy Gun and Knife show. It seems to do OK on a Rock River Mid but I want ALL my 15's to shoot whatever- Got about 5-6,000 various makes and if SHTF I don't want to be sorting stuff out!!

lookout bill!

some of this tula being shipped is very bad ammo. it acts like the powder is wet!

some of the rounds i fired through the 11.5" barrel were down in the rim-fire velocities! no wonder it is short-stroking!

i think i am going to use this crap as AK fodder. and i'll bet even the mighty AK cant run the last 300 some odd rounds i got of this stuff without some jams or short cycles.

i believe this is the worst ammo i have ever bought. it is making that old greek 223 i bought that used re-packaged powder form some very old 8mm mauser ammo look good!

you might have got lucky and got a good batch. looks like i got the batch made after a really wild party with lots of vodka being consumed!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    lookout bill!

some of this tula being shipped is very bad ammo. it acts like the powder is wet!

some of the rounds i fired through the 11.5" barrel were down in the rim-fire velocities! no wonder it is short-stroking!

i think i am going to use this crap as AK fodder. and i'll bet even the mighty AK cant run the last 300 some odd rounds i got of this stuff without some jams or short cycles.

i believe this is the worst ammo i have ever bought. it is making that old greek 223 i bought that used re-packaged powder form some very old 8mm mauser ammo look good!

you might have got lucky and got a good batch. looks like i got the batch made after a really wild party with lots of vodka being consumed!
    You know, that might have been most of the prob you helped me with! That and just breaking it in a little! Got a new Cheaper Than Dirt catalog and they have Brown Bear- and Silver Bear- HP & FMJ under $5 per box. Bill

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Postak

You know, that might have been most of the prob you helped me with! That and just breaking it in a little! Got a new Cheaper Than Dirt catalog and they have Brown Bear- and Silver Bear- HP & FMJ under $5 per box. Bill
    if you order any more try the 75gr wolf. this shortie seems to love the 75gr!

if you can't get the 75 grain try the 63gr--i have had very good experiences with the 63 grain gold/silver bear and wolf. a little extra bullet mass kind of keeps the pressure up a handy feature with some of this slow burning made of god knows what russian powder.

i wouldn't be suprised if the russians didn't outsource their powder and keep all the good stuff for their own use!

i ran some 40gr loads accidently therough the 11.5" upper the other day--way too light to cycle even though they were hot-loads otherwise.

but even they cycled better in the 11.5" than this tula 55gr stuff!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Postak

Quote Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
    I wrote that and missed the post by BBill on the Rock Rivers.
    Go back too the site where you bought the ammo. I want too see your review of the stuff.
    O.K. o.k. I got a bad batch of Seillor and Bellot 9mm. So I will stop teasing you.. Every 5th round went bang.
    When the ad reads. "No return on this ammo"
    I guess they are trying too tell us something.

we need to give this shit to the mexican army!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.