Gunco Forums banner

223 under $4 a box sale

4K views 49 replies 9 participants last post by  j427x 
#1 ·
#6 ·
Cabelas has it for $3.79 a box. Not sure on the shipping, but could add up in bulk.

Cabela's -- Tula .223 Ammunition

he,he! i wish i could have found this first. it is a few bucks cheaper!

my order from CTD for 500rds ran about $114 including shipping.

if i had ordered the same 500rds from cabelas i could have got them for $107.70 and saved $6.30!

it seems to have better reviews from cabelas as well.:nanabang:

#7 ·
so far so suckey--

fired the first couple boxes on the 4th. so far it has sucked in the shortie barreled AR-15.

it short strokes about 7-8 times out of ten!:grumble:

even worse it is like the shortie has caught cooties or something from this cheap ammo. it is now short-stroking on golden-bear! until i shot the tula out of it it had been running the bear ammo like a clock!

i am going to play around with it and see if i can get it to run as it is very close to running ,

the ammo seems accurate enough, gives a good strong report when fired and it has noticeable recoil. it don't seem underloaded?

if i can get some time i'll try in in one of my 16" ar-15s and my 5.56 ak.

if it runs in the 16"barreled ar's then i am going to see if i can tune up the 11.5" up enough to get it to run reliable in it. hopefully a well-worn out buffer spring or possibly bolt-carrier swap might do the trick for the 11.5" that is if the ammo isn't garbage and right now it is looking iffy---

#9 ·
fired the first couple boxes on the 4th. so far it has sucked in the shortie barreled AR-15.

it short strokes about 7-8 times out of ten!:grumble:

even worse it is like the shortie has caught cooties or something from this cheap ammo. it is now short-stroking on golden-bear! until i shot the tula out of it it had been running the bear ammo like a clock!

i am going to play around with it and see if i can get it to run as it is very close to running ,

the ammo seems accurate enough, gives a good strong report when fired and it has noticeable recoil. it don't seem underloaded?

if i can get some time i'll try in in one of my 16" ar-15s and my 5.56 ak.

if it runs in the 16"barreled ar's then i am going to see if i can tune up the 11.5" up enough to get it to run reliable in it. hopefully a well-worn out buffer spring or possibly bolt-carrier swap might do the trick for the 11.5" that is if the ammo isn't garbage and right now it is looking iffy---
That was one of the russian ammos I was shooting when I had the trouble with the Del-Ton. You're right- Bear and Wolf shoot ok. The tula is a problem. Last mag of it I shot the lip on one of the cases pulled off!! Had to run a rod down the barrel to get it out!

#8 ·
O.K. j4. I will give you $1.50 a box for what you have left. :lol::lol:
Thank you for the report. I almost pushed the buy button.:)
Me and my neighbor, a retired SWAT weapons instructor with the Orlando Sheriffs Dept. got too talking.
He was handed every weapon made too test for the Department.
Oh God Mall Ninjas dont beat me please. His words not mine. :)
Rock River ARs ate every type of ammo they fed it.
Highest rated. No. Like 7th on the list.
Most accurate. Maybe not. I dont know.
But he said the darn things went bang every time they pulled the trigger.
Now I am going too buy some and see if he is rite. :)

#10 ·
but they didn't feed it this craptacular tula--LOL!

i would like to see a stock RR eat this crap ammo. i don't think any AR one off the shelf can run this shit without a tune up.

now an AK on the other hand should be able to run this stuff with no problems. i haven't tried it yet i might have to eat my words again--lol!

i haven't tried it on a rifle length either it may just be a SBR problem. a little extra bbl length can do wonders for an ar-15 with low pressure ammo.

this shortie is just a hair off working with the stuff. it may be something i overlooked on assembly. i did patch up a overly short buffer tube. this will compress the coils and might be the cause of the problem. though it only compressed the spring an extra one turn--

i am going to try it again with the m4 buffer tube and the weakest recoil spring i got and see if it will run it the tula then.

if it is another no-go. i'll pull the EBR bolt carrier and put in a LMT. and if that don't work i might order a wolf low power recoil spring-- or just write on the box--AK only!

#12 ·
Wow.

I wrote that and missed the post by BBill on the Rock Rivers.
Go back too the site where you bought the ammo. I want too see your review of the stuff. :nanabang:
O.K. o.k. I got a bad batch of Seillor and Bellot 9mm. So I will stop teasing you.. Every 5th round went bang.
When the ad reads. "No return on this ammo"
I guess they are trying too tell us something. :lol:

#20 ·
I wrote that and missed the post by BBill on the Rock Rivers.
Go back too the site where you bought the ammo. I want too see your review of the stuff. :nanabang:
O.K. o.k. I got a bad batch of Seillor and Bellot 9mm. So I will stop teasing you.. Every 5th round went bang.
When the ad reads. "No return on this ammo"
I guess they are trying too tell us something. :lol:

we need to give this shit to the mexican army!:nanabang:

#13 ·
i pulled the bullets on 10 rounds and measured the powder-- and compared the amount to one wolf 55grain load.

4 rounds very low on powder

3 rounds all-most enough

3 rounds a small bit over.

could be a comedy of errors going on here-- i won't know for sure till a test fire some more. i am going to use the 16"m4 charles daily upper. the shortie upper with a new buffer tube set up. and i am going to fire a few rounds out of the AK . i'll also do some testing with the crono.

#14 ·
another thing that may be helping screw things up is my little $30 CAR stock. it is a UTG china part that i just added to give the xm-177 the correct look.

when i test fired it before and it ran great with the golden bear it had a m4 stock & tube.

on measuring the buffer tube on the UTG it is a bit shorter than the m4 adjustable --just under 1/2 an inch shorter. with a shorter tube the spring is going to have more pressure against the buffer & bolt.

i think this combined with the spotty ammo is the problem with shortie.this may be why i had a short stroke with the golden bear that had run so well with before.

i'll give the tula a try in the m4 type and the ak and see if they have any problems with the stuff.

sometimes you got to backtrack a "change" to correct a glitch.

#15 ·
ok just got back from a few more test rounds.

results from the 16" CD 2,830 fps, 2890fps, 2690fps, 2720fps, 2,910fps, 2,650fps ,2707fps, 2780fps, 2783fps, 2691fps

speeds form the 16" ak barrel about the same.

the speeds the tula is giving from a 16" are far short of the 3150fps claimed. if this ammo was worth a shit we would be seeing much closer to 3,000 fps from the 16 inch barrels. ALL the test speeds are lower than their supposed to be.

speeds from the 11.5" are even worse--so bad i don't want to print them!

the CD 16" ate the rounds up without fuss as did the AK. no malfunctions or short strokes. i did only 40 rounds each so i might have got lucky and 80 rounds that would cycle??

after the tune up with the very weak recoil spring, a new longer buffer tube and a light weight buffer the 11.5" will nearly run the stuff, i fired 40 rounds and got two empty chambers from short stroking.

it would take a very light spring to get shortie to work with this ammo.

this ammo is right on the margin for use in a AR-15 type rifle. it is really not optimal for an AK either due to low velocities but the AK is a bit more forgiving of bad ammo than an AR is.

i don't know if ALL tula ammo is this bad. i might have just got a bad lot. but i would hate to be in a fighting position and depending on this crap.

i don't think i'll be buying any more of this. my advice spend a few more bucks on wolf, golden bear, silver bear, reloads--anything. even though i have got this to work in the 16" it certainly ain't trustworthy and will all ways be suspect. even an adjustable gas block or enlarging the gas port wouldn't be ideal because the ammo varies so much from one round to the next.

accuracy was ok. i was able to hit cans and bottles @75- 80m with ease off hand with the 11.5" --open sights no less.

on the ak & 16" barrel CD i also noticed big fireballs out of the muzzle every so often like the powder is burning way too slow?

some weird acting ammo that's for sure.

#21 ·
one other little tidbit--

while i was over at CTD reviewing this poor quality ammunition. i noticed a couple others in their reviews had noticed how hot the barrel would get after firing just a few rounds.

i just fired two rounds through the m4 and the barrel was so hot it would singe your skin! the only thing i can think of is some powder that didn't burn while the bullet was being fired is burning slowly in the barrel and heating it up?-

-like i said weird-weird ammo

#22 ·
Hello j427x I would recomend you to take off your upper half, turn over upside down then soak inside your gas tube really wet with Hoppes solvent # 9 and use the long pipe cleaner inside the gas tube, give it a good scrubbing, then blow out the tube with compressed air, you may have a copper shaving or powder soot plugging your gas flow, it sounds like you have partily blocked gas tube or gas port if you have reduced gas flow which cause short strokes. Let us know if that works. Good luck

#27 ·
first thing i checked was the port and the tube. they are more open than a super highway--it also shows the same problems when you use in in a another firearm.

it will barely function in a overgassed 16" ar-15 or AK and even then it is very slow. in an ar with a standard port size and normal dwell time it ar-15 short strokes every shot.

#24 ·
yikes with speed devations that you guys are showing I would not even waste my time. hell some of those rounds are over 200FPS differant. the stuff is crap and not worth owning. its piss poor ammo like this that has givin the AK the reputation for being inaccurate why shoot it in your AR,s in the first place?. Keep screwing around with it and your going to get a bullet stuck in the barrel and blow the gun apart. Id find a bolt action to shot it in if I had more tham a couple of boxes. this is not a gun problem look at the deviations and perticulary the low velocity its not going to matter how much you clean the gun the ammo is junk. it is worthless for a SHTF situation as its completly unreliable and possably dangerious.

#29 ·
Going now to shoot my 7.62x39 ar. Loaded up 3 c-products mags. 1-20 rnds wolf black box. 2-20 rnds brown bear. 3-20 rnds russian white box HP-thats the stuff that comes in the 1,000 rnd wooden crate. This rifle was short stroking but I thought it was the gas tube. Put a low profile block on it to use a scope so this is a new try.

#30 ·
BBill.

I have so much ammo in there I am not sure. But pretty sure it was the Russian white box HP in the wooden crate 7.62x39 we ran a couple hundred rounds though an AK.
All went bang.
Accuracy. Hell I cant see so cant answer.
Let us know please if your shooting an AR how it worked.
What is short stroking?

#34 ·
Hey guys- I just got a new Cheaper Than Dirt catalog and they are showing Tula ammo in a new Black box!! Called TulAmmo we'd better watch out as usual just change the box and the DUMB ASSES will still buy. So it's now white box and black box to watch out for. Bill

#40 ·
good news! i fixed the crappy ammo-

CTD posted my less that lovely review of this underpowered ammo!

and i found a way to get the remaining 350rounds of this crap tula to shoot like "real" ammunition!

i took my bullet puller and pulled every one of the bullets, remeasured the powder and re-loaded the bullets. so i now got about 200 some odd rounds that will do 2980fps on the MV and cycle an ar-15!

on the rounds where the powder looked funky--that powder got dumped out. and i re-loaded the remaining with my regular re-loading powder and load--

so i got about 150 some odd rounds with my good powder in them--and they shoot fine.

BTW this should not be listed as "ammo" this tula shit should be in the reloading components part of any gun and ammo store!--LOL:nanabang:

#42 ·
j4. Put a match too the old powder and see if it even burns. :lol:
During the Viet-Nam war. A special ops team discovered a large cache of ammunition in Laos.
They were going too call in an air strike and destroy the ammo. One guy came up with a better idea.
They snuck in and borrowed rounds of the ammo. They then booby trapped just the Chinese ammo and replaced it..
The enemy was using the Chinese ammo and it was blowing up in their faces. Guess they were putting C-4 in place of the powder. Or some type of volatile product. :)
This went on for over a year or more before word leaked too the press ending the operation.
It almost stared a war between China and Viet-Nam as they thought the Chinese were sabotaging them.
Maybe the Russians are sabotaging our ammo? :confused:

#45 ·
Last Tues when I went to try some ammo I took my 7.62 x 39 ar and even though I had a few dented primers it shot ok except a couple of rnds that hung a little-don't think it's really short stroking. Thought it might be the mags- C-products. I think I don't have the latest version. Anyway I wanted to find out as I have a couple more 80% lowers and want to do a 16in to go with the 20in. So I sent C-products an e-mail cause I saw on ar15.com they would send new followers and springs. Imagine my surprise- Chad Panka, Sales manager, e-mailed me back he was sending 8 new mags and a shipping label to send the old ones back!! That's service!! If these work I'll buy 10 more!!

#46 ·
try a wollf XP hammer spring. there is a tutorial on the net somewhere that shows how to trim the back side of a 7.62x39 ar bolt . this makes the firing pin go a bit deeper on strike.

the problem is the 7.62x39 russian made ammo often has deep seated primers.

a little more firing pin travel will cure the dented primer problem.:nanabang:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.