Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Results 41 to 50 of 50

Thread: 223 under $4 a box sale

  1. #41
    GuncoHolic BBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,152
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    Default

    On average how low was the powder? Did the bad stuff look like it was swept up off the floor?

  2. #42
    White Cracker 4thIDvet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Swamp Florida
    Posts
    11,965
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by BBill View Post
    On average how low was the powder? Did the bad stuff look like it was swept up off the floor?
    j4. Put a match too the old powder and see if it even burns.
    During the Viet-Nam war. A special ops team discovered a large cache of ammunition in Laos.
    They were going too call in an air strike and destroy the ammo. One guy came up with a better idea.
    They snuck in and borrowed rounds of the ammo. They then booby trapped just the Chinese ammo and replaced it..
    The enemy was using the Chinese ammo and it was blowing up in their faces. Guess they were putting C-4 in place of the powder. Or some type of volatile product.
    This went on for over a year or more before word leaked too the press ending the operation.
    It almost stared a war between China and Viet-Nam as they thought the Chinese were sabotaging them.
    Maybe the Russians are sabotaging our ammo?
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781


  3. #43
    Gunco Addicted for life j427x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    8,852
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

    Postak

    Quote Originally Posted by BBill View Post
    On average how low was the powder? Did the bad stuff look like it was swept up off the floor?

    some rounds were as much as 25% underloaded. others had some bad looking powder--may have been floor sweepings as far as i know--LOL


    the rounds causing the major short-strokes and the overly hot barrels after firing were the bad powder rounds. the low powder rounds would still function barely--

  4. #44
    Gunco Addicted for life j427x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    8,852
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

    Postak

    i did. while it did burn it burned very slow and extra hot, very smokey too. something about the powder was just wrong. it is most likely a bad batch of powder that wasn't mixed right or wasn't cured out proper. i doubt it was intentional. probably some new hires on a monday after a big vodka party weekend, hug over- they put the floor sweepings in with a batch of powder or some other fuck up.--LOL

    i don't think a rifle primer has enough oompth to ignite c4 IIRC. plenty of things you can do to sabotage ammo though. the thing to do is put in just enough powder to lodge a bullet in the barrel. then the weapon is done in either way. rifle lodges a bullet--the enemy stops shooting--or it is k-boom if he shoots another round!
    that is THE reason i pulled all the bullets on these--sooner or later one in this batch was bound to have just enough good powder to loge one in the tube. this ammo should have been recalled! if there is much of this crap floating around your going to see some ar-15's and AK's blow up!

    lot number of this bad batch# 08-09 4 P715




    Quote Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
    j4. Put a match too the old powder and see if it even burns.
    During the Viet-Nam war. A special ops team discovered a large cache of ammunition in Laos.
    They were going too call in an air strike and destroy the ammo. One guy came up with a better idea.
    They snuck in and borrowed rounds of the ammo. They then booby trapped just the Chinese ammo and replaced it..
    The enemy was using the Chinese ammo and it was blowing up in their faces. Guess they were putting C-4 in place of the powder. Or some type of volatile product.
    This went on for over a year or more before word leaked too the press ending the operation.
    It almost stared a war between China and Viet-Nam as they thought the Chinese were sabotaging them.
    Maybe the Russians are sabotaging our ammo?
    Last edited by j427x; 07-11-2010 at 01:07 PM. Reason: number added

  5. #45
    GuncoHolic BBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,152
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    Default

    Last Tues when I went to try some ammo I took my 7.62 x 39 ar and even though I had a few dented primers it shot ok except a couple of rnds that hung a little-don't think it's really short stroking. Thought it might be the mags- C-products. I think I don't have the latest version. Anyway I wanted to find out as I have a couple more 80% lowers and want to do a 16in to go with the 20in. So I sent C-products an e-mail cause I saw on ar15.com they would send new followers and springs. Imagine my surprise- Chad Panka, Sales manager, e-mailed me back he was sending 8 new mags and a shipping label to send the old ones back!! That's service!! If these work I'll buy 10 more!!

  6. #46
    Gunco Addicted for life j427x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    8,852
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

    Postak

    try a wollf XP hammer spring. there is a tutorial on the net somewhere that shows how to trim the back side of a 7.62x39 ar bolt . this makes the firing pin go a bit deeper on strike.

    the problem is the 7.62x39 russian made ammo often has deep seated primers.

    a little more firing pin travel will cure the dented primer problem.












    Quote Originally Posted by BBill View Post
    Last Tues when I went to try some ammo I took my 7.62 x 39 ar and even though I had a few dented primers it shot ok except a couple of rnds that hung a little-don't think it's really short stroking. Thought it might be the mags- C-products. I think I don't have the latest version. Anyway I wanted to find out as I have a couple more 80% lowers and want to do a 16in to go with the 20in. So I sent C-products an e-mail cause I saw on ar15.com they would send new followers and springs. Imagine my surprise- Chad Panka, Sales manager, e-mailed me back he was sending 8 new mags and a shipping label to send the old ones back!! That's service!! If these work I'll buy 10 more!!

  7. #47
    GuncoHolic BBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,152
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    try a wollf XP hammer spring. there is a tutorial on the net somewhere that shows how to trim the back side of a 7.62x39 ar bolt . this makes the firing pin go a bit deeper on strike.

    the problem is the 7.62x39 russian made ammo often has deep seated primers.

    a little more firing pin travel will cure the dented primer problem.
    I put one in this morning before I went- 60 rnds of Wolf black box 7.62x39 and only 1 misfire/dented primer. Finally got scope zero'ed in at 100 yrds.

  8. #48
    Gunco Rookie wneubauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10
    Feedback Score
    0

    Default

    I've just picked up 15 boxes at 3.98 a box. The Silver Bear is the same price at our local CTD store. I got 5 boxes of that. Maybe I should have reversed that buying decision??

  9. #49
    GuncoHolic BBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,152
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    Default

    Brown Bear and Silver Bear are both good

  10. #50
    Gunco Addicted for life j427x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    8,852
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

    Postak

    military surplus, brown bear, silver bear, golden bear, & wolf have run fine for me in AR/AKs in all calibers.

    this tula has been the first really bad batch of russian ammo i have got and i have been shooting the russian ammo for many years.


    i don't think ALL tula is THIS bad so you might get lucky.

    even the good tula rounds from my batch were underloaded. so YMMV on the tula.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •