Gunco Forums banner

Gunsmithing the AR...

3K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  CeeKay 
#1 ·
How difficult is it to put together an AR rifle? I've never played with one to any real degree, and the Colt A1 kits Apex has atm are exactly what I'm looking for... But, I dunno if I can handle an AR build; I built my Romy G in the garage using screws in place of rivets, and a lowrider pickup as a pin press. I don't think that sort of thing will fly with an AR. X)

Anyways, I'd be more than happy to send-off the upper and new barrel and such to a well-respected Gunco Gunsmith to install all the little things I have to drill pin holes or what-not for. Also, the new barrel will need parkerizing by hopefully the same user... All said and done, I should break about even on the build, but that also includes the satisfaction of building most of it myself in the garage... :)

But ya, what all does it take to put an AR kit together? Anyone got any good info links? Maybe pics of A1 builds?

Thanks,
- CK

#2 ·
If you can turn a screwdriver and tap in a pin, and use a torque wrench, you should have no trouble building an ar15 from the receiver+kit. The colt A1 kits will also need the barrel parkerized (easy to do) and the front sight pinned on and a gas port drilled IIRC. I'd go ahead and get a new front sight block to make drilling the two pin holes a little easier, but it could also be done with endmill. You could also just drill and tap the fsb for two set screws. The only real specialized tools you'll need is barrel nut wrench, but they're only about $15-$25 depending on which one you get. Here's one on the lower http://www.gunco.net/forums/f255/ar-15-lower-receiver-assembly-27631/

#14 ·
If you can turn a screwdriver and tap in a pin, and use a torque wrench, you should have no trouble building an ar15 from the receiver+kit. The colt A1 kits will also need the barrel parkerized (easy to do) and the front sight pinned on and a gas port drilled IIRC. I'd go ahead and get a new front sight block to make drilling the two pin holes a little easier, but it could also be done with endmill. You could also just drill and tap the fsb for two set screws. The only real specialized tools you'll need is barrel nut wrench, but they're only about $15-$25 depending on which one you get. Here's one on the lower http://www.gunco.net/forums/f255/ar-15-lower-receiver-assembly-27631/
Hi Moleman,

Are you set up to do Park jobs? Can you anodize AR lowers? I would rather pay you, than someone I do not know....

Let me know.

#4 ·
i bought a kit from brad at GUNTHINGS a few weeks ago. it is all new parts, the barrel is done and ready to install on the upper reciever. ( GUNTHINGS sells them that way). it cost a little more to get the kit from brad, but by the time you pay someone to do the work, the shipping to and from it cost more money.
the finish on the barrel also matches the rest of the parts.
i just need to finish putting it together. i got an m-16A1 lower from NODAK when they first started making them. when i get time i will put it together.

Attachments

#5 ·
the only thing about some of these a1 kits is many come with an unfinished barrel. these will require a little more work involving gunsmith skills. not a whole lot but some fitting will be required on locating the gas port and the front sight base.

kits that have a finished barrel are strictly a bolt up and tap a few pins in type of project.

#7 ·
Ooh nice!! Comes parked and drilled!!

So all's I gotta do is put all the teeny pieces into the lower... I suppose I won't be needing to find 922r parts for this one am I? :p

Thanks

#9 ·
A couple questions on the Gunthings A1, if you'd be so kind.
I don't know much about the A1.
Being an A1 upper by Colt, to use it on modern Rock River lower, would it need an adapter for the front take down/ pivot pin?
What gets ground off?
Could I use a different bolt carrier group w/ it? (DPMS A2)

#10 ·
i think the m16a1 uses standard size pins. it was the early civilian colts that had the big pin and would need a conversion pin to fit modern lowers IIRC.

to use a military hammer in a semi-auto you just grind off the spur on the back of the hammer that catches the auto sear and you grind off the rear part of the dissconecter that engages the auto safety. you can use the auto safety after a re-work but most people just replace them with a semi type.

i would use the colt carrier if it is legal in your area. some states don't cotton to any full auto parts if you live in one of those states you will either have to cut down the auto carrier or replace it with an ar-15 carrier.

auto carrier is what i like as it is a bit more heavy than a semi and will get you out of buying a h-buffer.

#12 ·
Maryland seems too have some tough laws on weapons. Are you guys allowed to own 30 round mags.
I went into a gun store in Connecticut and asked if they had any AKs for sale.
Everybody in the store started running. Even the owner fainted. Noooo. No assault weapons in my store. Noooooooooo.
Damn. I think they thought I was an undercover L.O. Guess your not allowed to buy assault weapons in Conn. :)

#20 ·
So do something about an illegal law... :\

#21 ·
building AR's only takes a few minutes. great modular weapon system (I have them in 5.56, 6.5 grendel, and even 50 BMG). minimal tools are needed, no 922r issues, just some $$$ and a little time. every now and then people bring them to our build parties for a little help and I have them up and running in no time at all.

and the best part is it's really hard to screw it up... lol

#27 ·
Lots of great info!! Really wanna get in on a kit before they're all gone. Now to find the funds..... :S

Sadly, I'm broke as a joke. Anyone wanna donate to the 'CK needs an AR kit' fund? X)

- CK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.