Gunco Forums banner

Milsurp in 7.62X25 in blowback and DI operated?

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  gunnerxxx 
#1 ·
I have both types of uppers for my AR and was wondering about using the corrosive milsurp ammo. I was planning on using the Milsurp in the blowback since it seems a lot easier for me to clean. I wanted to use the DI version for commercial ammo and hand loads because the brass comes out just about the way it goes in, even with hot hand loads. What's your opinion?

#2 ·
DI? Is that a gas operated setup? Just asking because I don't think I ever heard that before.

But yes what your thinking is a good idea, most of the gas tubes are stainless so I don't think corrosive ammo will effect it much but I'd be concerned about the gas block more then anything.

#3 ·
DI? [blue]Is that a gas operated setup?[/blue] Just asking because I don't think I ever heard that before.

But yes what your thinking is a good idea, most of the gas tubes are stainless so I don't think corrosive ammo will effect it much but I'd be concerned about the gas block more then anything.
Yes, the new thing in pistol caliber AR's is being gas operated just like the standard AR. I was thinking that not only is the gas block affected but the gas is fed into the bolt/carrier system to make things work and now there's corrosive stuff getting inside the important parts.

I guess I'm just kinda lazy and want to shoot the heck out of the milsurp stuff without too much work afterwards.

#4 ·
Makes sense. Then you don't have to deal with salts in the gas tube, or heavy fouling in it either, I dunno if the x25 cartridge has enough power to break loose the fouling it deposits on the gas tube, so it might build up really quick.

I'm assuming the blowback one doesn't have a gas port in the barrel, so you don't have to worry about getting the salt out of that.

Overall sounds like a good idea.

#6 ·
I was thinking that not only is the gas block affected but the gas is fed into the bolt/carrier system to make things work and now there's corrosive stuff getting inside the important parts.
Yes your right, it would also get into the upper receiver area, but I was just thinking this is an area that is fairly easy to clean since you can get to everything.
My main concerns would be the gas block & tube since these are areas that are hard to get to since the port is fairly small and would be a hassle to clean.

I guess I'm just kinda lazy and want to shoot the heck out of the milsurp stuff without too much work afterwards.
LOL I know what you mean :D

#7 ·
I cant even see the point of having a x25 upper if you cant or dont want to shoot surpluss ammo in it. it the stuff wasent dirt cheap there likely would have never been a upper sold.

Id go with the blow back upper If I had a choice. who needs the corosive crap coming back into the action??

#8 ·
I just started to put my 8 year old 7.62 Tok AR back together. It was originally a 9mm and all I had to do was change the barrel and make me a magblock for the PPS-43 mags. There are commercial magblocks available now but not back when first put this blowback together.

The marks on the barrel are when my barrel clamp blocks slipped when I first took the setup apart.

#12 ·
Well, I made that magblock back in 2002 when I got the barrel made. I'm not sure if anybody was using the PPS-43 mags back then, but who knows. As far as the RMW magblock looking like mine -- there can't be too much difference since they both use the same magazine. It's a simple design and works great.

#13 ·
I just spray the heck out of my upper with carb cleaner or brake cleaner and then spray in a little oil and clean thoroughly maybe once a month.....6000+ rounds of milsurp and no corrosion on mine...and my barrel is chrom moly......and I shoot it two or three times aweek at the shop......usually go burn a mag at lunch as stress relief......:D

#14 ·
I just spray the heck out of my upper with carb cleaner or brake cleaner and then spray in a little oil and clean thoroughly maybe once a month.....6000+ rounds of milsurp and no corrosion on mine...and my barrel is chrom moly......and I shoot it two or three times aweek at the shop......usually go burn a mag at lunch as stress relief......:D
I was told that I needed to use some water based stuff to clean after using the milsurp stuff -- the reason is to dissolve the salts -- been using windex, then clean and oil like normal. I can handle the carb cleaner and brake cleaner idea but I wondered about the corrosive salts. I guess if it works for you I need to try it.

#16 ·
If you live in the desert areas of the US then you don't really have to worry about corrosion, but in places like LA and Florida where you have to worry about rust even on clean oiled guns then corrosive ammo gets scary, causing surface rust in hours.

I shot some corrosive commie surplus in an AK and accidentally left it sitting uncleaned for a week or so during the winter here and there was rust in the barrel, but no pitting, just very light surface rust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.