Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Milsurp in 7.62X25 in blowback and DI operated?

Feedback Score

Default Milsurp in 7.62X25 in blowback and DI operated?

I have both types of uppers for my AR and was wondering about using the corrosive milsurp ammo. I was planning on using the Milsurp in the blowback since it seems a lot easier for me to clean. I wanted to use the DI version for commercial ammo and hand loads because the brass comes out just about the way it goes in, even with hot hand loads. What's your opinion?

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

DI? Is that a gas operated setup? Just asking because I don't think I ever heard that before.

But yes what your thinking is a good idea, most of the gas tubes are stainless so I don't think corrosive ammo will effect it much but I'd be concerned about the gas block more then anything.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    DI? [blue]Is that a gas operated setup?[/blue] Just asking because I don't think I ever heard that before.

But yes what your thinking is a good idea, most of the gas tubes are stainless so I don't think corrosive ammo will effect it much but I'd be concerned about the gas block more then anything.
    Yes, the new thing in pistol caliber AR's is being gas operated just like the standard AR. I was thinking that not only is the gas block affected but the gas is fed into the bolt/carrier system to make things work and now there's corrosive stuff getting inside the important parts.

I guess I'm just kinda lazy and want to shoot the heck out of the milsurp stuff without too much work afterwards.

Feedback Score

Makes sense. Then you don't have to deal with salts in the gas tube, or heavy fouling in it either, I dunno if the x25 cartridge has enough power to break loose the fouling it deposits on the gas tube, so it might build up really quick.

I'm assuming the blowback one doesn't have a gas port in the barrel, so you don't have to worry about getting the salt out of that.

Overall sounds like a good idea.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

those are some good points...I need to bring my x25 upper out and check the gas port and block for corrosion!

I haven't shot it in so long I completely forgot about cleaning the port and block before putting it away.

geez!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I was thinking that not only is the gas block affected but the gas is fed into the bolt/carrier system to make things work and now there's corrosive stuff getting inside the important parts.
    Yes your right, it would also get into the upper receiver area, but I was just thinking this is an area that is fairly easy to clean since you can get to everything.
    My main concerns would be the gas block & tube since these are areas that are hard to get to since the port is fairly small and would be a hassle to clean.

I guess I'm just kinda lazy and want to shoot the heck out of the milsurp stuff without too much work afterwards.
    LOL I know what you mean
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I cant even see the point of having a x25 upper if you cant or dont want to shoot surpluss ammo in it. it the stuff wasent dirt cheap there likely would have never been a upper sold.

Id go with the blow back upper If I had a choice. who needs the corosive crap coming back into the action??

Feedback Score

I just started to put my 8 year old 7.62 Tok AR back together. It was originally a 9mm and all I had to do was change the barrel and make me a magblock for the PPS-43 mags. There are commercial magblocks available now but not back when first put this blowback together.

The marks on the barrel are when my barrel clamp blocks slipped when I first took the setup apart.

Feedback Score

I got it all put back together and it runs like a champ.

If you already have a 9mm blowback and want to get into 7.62 Tokarev, all that's needed is a barrel, magblock, PPS mags and some ammo.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Looks good and glad to hear it runs good

Thanks for the 9mm to x25 info.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.