Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Pin is In...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
    All done except I cannot get the selector switch too pass through the hole over the trigger mechanism. It is hitting and wont go through. Has anyone had this problem before?
    Is the hammer cocked back ? if the hammer is forward and resting up agaisnt the bolt relese you will never get that slector in

Try cocking the hammer it should just slide in. If not post a pick of the problem it might help

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up Thanks Guys.

Yes good advice.. Man some of these pins were tight.
    I tried moving the hammer in all directions Marine, back and forth. Putting pressure on the trigger mechanism.
    BBill- I am going too have too order a dozen of each of these small parts.
    I am already scavenging into the second bag of internals.
    Think a couple of them went in the old ladies vacuum cleaner.
    Can not get that selector past the trigger mechanism, without what appears too be really forcing it. Just will not go past it. Just hits enough too catch and I dont want too take out the big hammer on this thing.
    Pushed and it is tight too the bottom of the receiver.
    Dont want too force it.
    Guess I will just pull the internals, slip the selector in, then slide the trigger mech. back in where the flat spot is on it.
    Anybody else have that problem before?
    Thought the worst was over when I got the front spring and pin in.
    You guys were not kidding. When that thing launched, I almost too my cats eye out.
    Early here. I will take some picts in the morning and show what is going on.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I've shot a couple of those springs across the room 4th- if your hands are not to big-try putting them in inside a gallon freezer baggie.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by TheCol.U.S.M.C. View Post
    Is the hammer cocked back ? if the hammer is forward and resting up agaisnt the bolt relese you will never get that slector in
    Try cocking the hammer it should just slide in. If not post a pick of the problem it might help

Try this, push down on the rear end of the trigger. Does it go down? Also, when the hammer is cocked back, does the rear end of the trigger go down about 1/16"? That is what Marine was suggesting - cock the hammer and the rear of the trigger goes down just enough that the selector will clear it..... If that is not happening you may have the hammer spring in backwards or the trigger spring is not in correctly - or both. Recheck these.

I have (on some receiver brands) had to pull the selector to install the trigger group, not all just some. Some are a tighter clearance than others so that may or may not be a solution (installing the selector then the trigger group) but it's worth a try.
    If you were close to me I would do the whole lower for you before you could drink a six pack..... AR's can practically be done with eyes closed (I've done a few),
    Not AK's. Yet. But give me a few years.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i think you put in the selector first and then install the de-tent ,spring and then the pistol grip.

then try installing the rest of the fire control group.

on one stubborn lower build i put in a short piece of metal in the trigger to hold the fire control group together , so that the pin could go through the trigger assembly with out anything getting out of alignment.

the back end of the trigger unit will slip under the safety , so try putting in the safety first.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    i think you put in the selector first and then install the de-tent ,spring and then the pistol grip.

then try installing the rest of the fire control group.

on one stubborn lower build i put in a short piece of metal in the trigger to hold the fire control group together , so that the pin could go through the trigger assembly with out anything getting out of alignment.

the back end of the trigger unit will slip under the safety , so try putting in the safety first.
    Yes!! The selector has to go in first!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up Yes...

Thank you all for your suggestions.
    Springs are in proper. Took me 3 days of following the instructions too make sure that is rite. I am a slow learner.
    Here is a pict. Hope it comes out so you guys can see. I am going too have too pull the internals and put the selector in, then slip the trigger group under it, as suggested.
    No way is it getting in there, on this one anyway, without doing that. Moved the hammer back and forth. Catching by a good 1/8 of an inch. +-.
    Kind of fun putting these ARs together.
    Putting this together and seeing how it works. Some interesting engineering went into them.
    Next one I will do in two days.
    Oh God. Now the upper. Back too the books.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 4thIDvet; 10-22-2010 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Picture
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up Got it..

You guys are on the money... Yahoooo.
    Took the hammer out. Bingo. In it went without removing the trigger group..
    Hammer spring must have been putting just enough pressure on, too not let the selector slip over that rear trigger group.
    You all are correct. Probably would have gone in with the rite pressure on the back end of the trigger group.
    But I did not want too force it..

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

sometimes the AR can be a frustration.

everything fits so tight-- so there ain't much wiggle room to play with.

if you got to force anything in--you should think twice cause although they fit "tight" you should not need more force than an slight tap to install anything in the lower.

and you should check to see that the ends of the springs in the FCG are riding in the notches cut in the pins, that way the pins won't walk around.

there are a few tricks to learn to assemble the lower. but once you learn them it gets super easy.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up Yes...

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    sometimes the AR can be a frustration.

everything fits so tight-- so there ain't much wiggle room to play with.

if you got to force anything in--you should think twice cause although they fit "tight" you should not need more force than an slight tap to install anything in the lower.

and you should check to see that the ends of the springs in the FCG are riding in the notches cut in the pins, that way the pins won't walk around.

there are a few tricks to learn to assemble the lower. but once you learn them it gets super easy.
    Thank you j4 and all with your help.. For those who have not tried it. Compared too the AK. It really is kind of easy.
    Attempting the second one. Little pin flew too God knows where.
    Stan from ProjectGuns told me I better buy the little pins in bulk.
    I laughed but he was not kidding. It is somewhere on the kitchen floor.
    Could be in the cats food, I dont know.
    Should have used the plastic bag as advised.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.