Thread: interesting article on the M-16

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default interesting article on the M-16

A very well-written history of the early years of the M-16, from (believe it or not...) Esquire Magazine.

Print - The Gun - Esquire

A lot of "stuff everyone knows", but with names, dates, and places.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up Excellent TRX. Thank you..

Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    A very well-written history of the early years of the M-16, from (believe it or not...) Esquire Magazine.

Print - The Gun - Esquire

A lot of "stuff everyone knows", but with names, dates, and places.
    A bit more too the excellent read. Three weapons were submitted for service in VietNam. Read from one of my many Military magazines I get each month, by a young Soldier who participated.
    His words.
    "My self along with a compliment of 3 platoons total. Were chosen too test the new black rifle. One platoon recieved M-14s, one AR-15s, one a improved design Stoner tossed in for testing."
    Each day they were sent too the range, given all the ammo they wanted and were too file a report at the end of the day, as too the weapons performance.
    Too a man. Each liked the M-14. But Stoners improved version of the AR was working flawlessly.
    Stoner had spotted the problems and his few improved weapons were working. Even with the bad ball powder.
    Each man filed his reports with honesty. The AR, other than Stoners, was jamming.
    Colt, mother friggen Colt and our crooked politicians smelled money.
    Scum bags at Colt, along with the money making bastard kick back politicians, anticipated the intro. of the AR-15. Production went full 24/7 on production.
    They never looked at or listened, too the Soldiers reports of failure and jamming.
    It was all about the money. $$$. The Guberment knew "full well" they were sending those poor Marines a piece of crap, junk, problem weapons.
    Colt had them. Our bastard payoff Guberment bought them.
    Dead Marines paid the price.
    By 1968 when I obtained my weapon. Powder and jamming problems had been fairly well resolved. Not one man in my Company was issued a cleaning kit. Not one.
    Their was more M-16s than men too use them. So if you did not like your weapon, you could just grab another one.
    Great article and food for thought, on how it is all about the money.
    Stop by. Here is a picture of two Marines who will damn well verify that story. Lee F.O. and Harry on the right. Two 1966 Marines.
    Excellent article. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

TRX
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Interestingly, there are a number of "technical bulletins" on armalite.com, the manufacturer's site. They address various complaints about the reliability of the M4 rifle. Armalite's bulletins are very interesting, with pressure curves and graphs, and all basically boil down to "we told you it would be a bad idea to saw the barrel off that short."

Closing on half a century later, and the politics and finger-pointing continue...

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.