Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Roll your own. ????

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by pirate56 View Post
    if you shop for the cheapest junk available you can save a few bucks, but right now the market is awash with good quality parts that are on sale. RR has complete lowers on sale , I can supply them for under $275.00
    RR is like buying DELL they assemble a bunch of parts made by lowest bidder, market it well and in the end its average, Id put the money I saved on a lower towards a good match grade barrel
    Last edited by rapidrus; 11-06-2010 at 03:36 AM.

Feedback Score

I like knowing that I'm capable of going from raw forging to completed firearm should the need arise. Here's my AR15 project.....

Cost was reasonable, but if I shopped around, I could have saved some bucks......
    Tactical Innovations 0% lower - $24.99
    Lower Receiver Parts Kit (D.P.M.S.) - $52.95
    Non-rotating trigger & Hammer pins - $30.00
    16" 1x9 5.56 M4 Chrome Moly Carbine Upper - $350
    2 Magpul 30rd Polymer mags - $30.00
    2 C-Products 30rd Teflon Mags - $14.98
    Tapco T6 Collapsible Stock - $59.95
    Total - $562.87

This does not include the cost of tooling (taps, milling cutters, etc.)

Much thanks to j427x for pointing me in the right direction for parts.....
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Johnny_V

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_V View Post
    I like knowing that I'm capable of going from raw forging to completed firearm should the need arise. Here's my AR15 project.....

Cost was reasonable, but if I shopped around, I could have saved some bucks......
    Tactical Innovations 0% lower - $24.99
    Lower Receiver Parts Kit (D.P.M.S.) - $52.95
    Non-rotating trigger & Hammer pins - $30.00
    16" 1x9 5.56 M4 Chrome Moly Carbine Upper - $350
    2 Magpul 30rd Polymer mags - $30.00
    2 C-Products 30rd Teflon Mags - $14.98
    Tapco T6 Collapsible Stock - $59.95
    Total - $562.87

This does not include the cost of tooling (taps, milling cutters, etc.)

Much thanks to j427x for pointing me in the right direction for parts.....
    I checked your build, some how I missed it when first posted, well done,
    with all the cheap parts out there Im glad to see someone taking a different road

Feedback Score

Mr_Posthumous: "after it decided it didnt like its position in the universe, and made the choice to make a random E&E from the receiver, to someplace on the carpet 20+ feet away".
    Now that their is funney!
    Happens I did nearly the same thing sept I thought I was prepaired with safety glasses, Ya sure I was warned to be careful and was expecting the possability, adorned the glasses to be on the safe side, must have been an early seinor moment cuse I never saw the damn thing and wasnt shure i ever had it in the first place.

Any way I was told befor my first build that you should bild it with what you want in it, so as to not be replacing parts of a store bought gun you dont like, to save money right?!? problem is, Too many options and a never ending best new thing on the market sendrome turns into a bad case of BRD!!!.......
    I did however build my SPR from used parts and stuff i found on the EE of another site and made it under $700 no sites or optics. then I blew that to hell with a trijicon tr23 and LaRue mount. Oh and I still need a bi-pod, and a two stage trigger, and some buis, 20rnd mags ++++++
    Last edited by sku11ey; 11-21-2010 at 03:35 AM.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

i have been buying used parts in excellent condition from guys that change out stuff, upgrade, etc. the prices are very good. many were just take off parts from new rifles. anyway, i have built several complete rifles from $300 to $500 and except for the retro rifle the other look near new or new.
    i don't get in a hurry looking for parts. sometimes i buy a bunch of used/new takeoffs parts and keep what i need and swap the rest to someone else looking for parts.

i am building AR rifles for my 4 grandsons to have when they get old enough to keep them. they will each get 5 or 6 different looking rifles rifles.
    this saves me a lot of money and they will get to build some/mostof them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vietnam vet 67-68

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sgt ron View Post
    i have been buying used parts in excellent condition from guys that change out stuff, upgrade, etc. the prices are very good. many were just take off parts from new rifles. anyway, i have built several complete rifles from $300 to $500 and except for the retro rifle the other look near new or new.
    i don't get in a hurry looking for parts. sometimes i buy a bunch of used/new takeoffs parts and keep what i need and swap the rest to someone else looking for parts.

i am building AR rifles for my 4 grandsons to have when they get old enough to keep them. they will each get 5 or 6 different looking rifles rifles.
    this saves me a lot of money and they will get to build some/mostof them.
    Yes. Pretty much the same thing j4 is saying Sarge.
    I have too slow down on these ARs and shop.
    I have room full of AK parts. Running out of room for the ARs..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Gunco Veteran AK Builder FloridaAKM's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

4thIDvet,
    Why don't you put the AK parts you don't need on the board for sale to the people who need them & use the procedes to fund your AR projects. If you get a magnet from Harbor Freight & go trolling in front of your dock, you might even be able to pick up a bunch more parts that can be sold as, "slightly rust preserved from the trip over the big pond" from the times you got too PO'ed while trying to build with some stubborn parts!

"If God had not intended for us to eat animals, how come He made them out of meat?" - Sarah Palin
    New Member of the Busted Box Club

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Postak

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaAKM View Post
    4thIDvet,
    Why don't you put the AK parts you don't need on the board for sale to the people who need them & use the procedes to fund your AR projects. If you get a magnet from Harbor Freight & go trolling in front of your dock, you might even be able to pick up a bunch more parts that can be sold as, "slightly rust preserved from the trip over the big pond" from the times you got too PO'ed while trying to build with some stubborn parts!

LOL! i think they call those ak- parts "vintage" on antiques roadshow!

well the AR 15 parts market is saturated in parts right now it is a good time to buy some things that were OOS or overpriced a year or two ago.

can't say prices will be as low as they once were due to hyper-inflation. but at least the panic buying spree is over --for the time being anyway.

i am pretty much caught up building ar-15's -- i might build one 9mm/7.62 tok, 45 acp or other pistol cal just for the hell of it.

i have been really eyeing that 6.8spc 2 barrel. if 6.8 ammo wasn't so expensive i would build one. --LOL!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaAKM View Post
    4thIDvet,
    Yes I probably should. I have boxes of parts. I cant even wrap a damn Christmas present without having a nervous breakdown. No patience. That is why I whip stuff in the damn canal and hold the record for a 120 foot AK toss.
    Maybe I will bring the stuff over too ptannjr and let him box the stuff up.
    First buyer started bitching, I would shoot this damn picture talking box.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
    Yes I probably should. I have boxes of parts. I cant even wrap a damn Christmas present without having a nervous breakdown. No patience. That is why I whip stuff in the damn canal and hold the record for a 120 foot AK toss.
    Maybe I will bring the stuff over too ptannjr and let him box the stuff up.
    First buyer started bitching, I would shoot this damn picture talking box.
    Hey 4th- Didn't I see on one of your posts that you really DO keep a .45 in front of your monitor? Just in case?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.