Gunco Forums banner

Testing Various .223 Russian Ammo in my POF P-415

1K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  j427x 
#1 ·
[FONT=tahoma,arial]I am going to test four different types of two different manufacturers' .223 Russian ammo in my POF P-415 upper. I will test the following ammo:

Wolf 55 grain FMJ, Silver Bear

Silver Bear .223 62grn HP

Wolf Military Classic .223 55grn FMJ

Brown Bear .223 55grn FMJ

I plan on firing 40 rounds of each. Much like wine tasting, I want to make sure that my upper has a "clean pallet" for each flavor of ammo. I want to know what steps I can take between firing each type of ammo to insure a "fresh start", and be able to accurately note/judge each type of ammo. What I'm trying to see is which type of ammo will feed reliably in this POF upper. I had several stuck cases using Tula 62 grain HP.

Thanks! [/FONT]

#2 ·
I've had no problem with Wolf 55 grain of Military Classic. Brown Bear is good also. I have had problems with Tula in the white box with black lettering-they have changed the box to a black and red one now. j427x is the one you need to chime in on this. He's pulled bullets and weighed powder on all the commie ammo. He's helped a lot on ammo issues. Bill

#6 ·
all russian made ammo is a bit under pressure. the AR is not as forgiving as an AK in that regard.

i haven't had any problems running wolf, Silver bear, brown bear, golden bear ammo. some of the ammo that is not plated or coated can build up a varnish film in the chamber--but it takes many rounds before the varnish has to be cleaned off the chamber.

the 7.62x39 ar-15 are even more sensitive to pressure than 5.56/5.45 versions due to the even lower pressure of the 7.62x39

even with the much lower pressure of the 7.62x39 the ar can still be made to work reliably.

#7 ·
I have an AR i built and have had very few issues with Wolf or the Tula ammo. So few in fact I can list them here:

3rd time out with the AR, put about 200 rounds through it rather quick doing some drills because im motivated like that. was back in late july in 29 palms, so i cant say if the air temp or barrel was hotter, but the wolf casings started sticking in the chamber after being fired. round would go boom, bcg would cycle back, strip a fresh round, and slam it into the rim/primer of the last casing, still in the barrel.

let it cool, took it home and cleaned it, havent had that problem since.

Just a week or two ago i took the girls out and burned through a TON of old wolf ammo i found in the back of the safe after moving. AR was eating that ammo like candy. Wolf was ftf every single round, but im pretty sure it was the (tapco) magazine. I switched to a pmag i had, and the problem stopped.

for me, wolf/tula/commie ammo is the greatest 'plinking' ammo. usually pretty cheap, works good, and all that. Its pretty much all i shoot when im just out and about breakin rocks.

#9 ·
...for me, wolf/tula/commie ammo is the greatest 'plinking' ammo. usually pretty cheap, works good, and all that. Its pretty much all i shoot when im just out and about breakin rocks.

You can't beat the price. If you're not out to win a marksmanship competition and just want to plink, this is the way to go.

#14 ·
Thank you. Yes j4 pulled some bullets and did weight testing.
Wolf and Silver Bear seem too go bang all the time.
Now my buddy sits here and says the 62 grain?? is more accurate over longer distances than the 55 grain.
Living down here in the swamps I cant test it, so I dont really know?
Very few places here you can even see anything past a hundred yards.

#15 ·
i would get golden bear, silver bear would be my second pick as the plating can pit on the silver bear and cause some nasty sticking in the chamber.

though i can't say the wolf branded ammo wouldn't do the job. i would go with the golden bear --simply cause i have shot lots more of it--

silver bear is fine if it hasn't set on a shelf and let corrode for years--LOL i got some very old silver bear that i have to clean up before it is used.

#18 ·
Oh yes. We had a thread going awhile back on the Golden Tiger in use with the shorties.
It turned into a flame thrower test. Somebody posted a picture of Golden Tiger being shot at night out of a shorty. Looked like the space shuttle going off. :)

#20 ·
hum, i have shot a bunch of GT 7.62x39 didn't notice it being very "hot" at all.

in fact it even short stroked a couple times. that big flame you see jumping out of the barrel is incomplete combustion that equates to lower pressure and lower muzzle velocity.

with the shortie barrels i would go with a little bit more weight in the lead like a 63gr.

you should see all the shit i had to do to the xm-177 replica to get it to run the under powered 55gr--LOL!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.