Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Testing Various .223 Russian Ammo in my POF P-415

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Testing Various .223 Russian Ammo in my POF P-415

I am going to test four different types of two different manufacturers' .223 Russian ammo in my POF P-415 upper. I will test the following ammo:

Wolf 55 grain FMJ, Silver Bear

Silver Bear .223 62grn HP

Wolf Military Classic .223 55grn FMJ

Brown Bear .223 55grn FMJ

I plan on firing 40 rounds of each. Much like wine tasting, I want to make sure that my upper has a "clean pallet" for each flavor of ammo. I want to know what steps I can take between firing each type of ammo to insure a "fresh start", and be able to accurately note/judge each type of ammo. What I'm trying to see is which type of ammo will feed reliably in this POF upper. I had several stuck cases using Tula 62 grain HP.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I've had no problem with Wolf 55 grain of Military Classic. Brown Bear is good also. I have had problems with Tula in the white box with black lettering-they have changed the box to a black and red one now. j427x is the one you need to chime in on this. He's pulled bullets and weighed powder on all the commie ammo. He's helped a lot on ammo issues. Bill

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BBill View Post
    ....427x is the one you need to chime in on this. He's pulled bullets and weighed powder on all the commie ammo. He's helped a lot on ammo issues. Bill

That would be great. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i would think ALL of those you listed should run fine.

so far the only problem child i have run across is tula and i don't think every batch of it is bad. just some batches of it suck.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    i would think ALL of those you listed should run fine.

so far the only problem child i have run across is tula and i don't think every batch of it is bad. just some batches of it suck.

Ok, thanks. The Tula works fine on my AK's, but not the AR.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

all russian made ammo is a bit under pressure. the AR is not as forgiving as an AK in that regard.

i haven't had any problems running wolf, Silver bear, brown bear, golden bear ammo. some of the ammo that is not plated or coated can build up a varnish film in the chamber--but it takes many rounds before the varnish has to be cleaned off the chamber.

the 7.62x39 ar-15 are even more sensitive to pressure than 5.56/5.45 versions due to the even lower pressure of the 7.62x39

even with the much lower pressure of the 7.62x39 the ar can still be made to work reliably.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

I have an AR i built and have had very few issues with Wolf or the Tula ammo. So few in fact I can list them here:

3rd time out with the AR, put about 200 rounds through it rather quick doing some drills because im motivated like that. was back in late july in 29 palms, so i cant say if the air temp or barrel was hotter, but the wolf casings started sticking in the chamber after being fired. round would go boom, bcg would cycle back, strip a fresh round, and slam it into the rim/primer of the last casing, still in the barrel.

let it cool, took it home and cleaned it, havent had that problem since.

Just a week or two ago i took the girls out and burned through a TON of old wolf ammo i found in the back of the safe after moving. AR was eating that ammo like candy. Wolf was ftf every single round, but im pretty sure it was the (tapco) magazine. I switched to a pmag i had, and the problem stopped.

for me, wolf/tula/commie ammo is the greatest 'plinking' ammo. usually pretty cheap, works good, and all that. Its pretty much all i shoot when im just out and about breakin rocks.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

And here's the video (part II) of the results...

+ YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Posthumous View Post
    ...for me, wolf/tula/commie ammo is the greatest 'plinking' ammo. usually pretty cheap, works good, and all that. Its pretty much all i shoot when im just out and about breakin rocks.

You can't beat the price. If you're not out to win a marksmanship competition and just want to plink, this is the way to go.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Good info. Great video. Thank you.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.