Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Just one AR, suggestions please

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFreedom View Post
    Not trying to upset the AR guys, but is there anything I should consider if I am looking for the most mechanically reliable AR? I realize they need more maintenance, however I want to minimize that requirement. Knowing it will never be a "drop in the swamp, pick up and fire" weapon, I want the best change of it being reliable when it needs to be.
    All of the brands mentioned above will be reliable. Another to add to your list of decisions is DoubleStar, here's the one I have:
    AR Star-15 Rifle .223 A/3

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 555th View Post
    All of the brands mentioned above will be reliable. Another to add to your list of decisions is DoubleStar, here's the one I have:
    AR Star-15 Rifle .223 A/3

double star makes a very good AR-15. i haven't owned one cause i roll my own mostly but i have used plenty of DS parts in some of my builds.

to the OP

if you want an easy to clean ar-15 i would say try to get the chrome lined barrel. a one in 7 twist would be nice but a 1 in nine might be more practical and less expensive.

and get some good mags --- i like the P-mag or government contract GI mags made by D&H or C-products for 5.56/223

are you buying an AR or building?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

BCM or LMT if you want a complete rifle.

Or do like me and get a BCM upper complete and a LMT lower complete all for about $850-$900.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by BIG 54R View Post
    BCM or LMT if you want a complete rifle.

Or do like me and get a BCM upper complete and a LMT lower complete all for about $850-$900.
    Agreed.
    Bravo Company USA has the best bang for the buck right now.
    Bravo Company USA, Inc. AR-15, M16, M4 Tactical Gear, Parts, Accessories.
    Their ARs are built to the TDP, backed up by a lifetime warranty, and their CS is outstanding.

Right now they offer cosmetic blem lowers complete for $270.
    They've had a sale on their uppers since summer for $385.
    Add their bolt group and charging handle for $135 and handguards for around $20.
    A magpul MBUS is around $50.

Less than $900 for one of the best no BS AR15s out there.

Feedback Score

I have a Rock River Arms brand that has been very reliable through the approximately 5K rounds I have put through it. I also have a YHM Supressor that makes it quite (or quiet) nice to shoot as well.

Feedback Score

Of the ones I've used, LMT seems to be one of the best. Not cheap, but really nice quality.

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

In addition to my previous post:

If you want something that you do not have to mess with, spend the extra money. I have seen deals from CDNN lately on S&W AR rifles that are very nice, $750 or less. Compare that to $550 for a load of parts and a cheap lower, and all of the issues are yours to solve.

The extra $200 is worth it if you just want to shoot. Between my partner and I we have 8 AR rifles, and have had issues with two of them. Since we went the $550 route, we had to figure it all out and fix. On one rifle, that was $5. On the other one it was $155. So we are still ahead of the game, but each issue that you encounter means that you have to shoot a minimum of 200 rounds to determine if it is fixed or not.

Do your own math. Factor in your ability to fix and resolve any issues.

We came out ahead, but we still felt really uncertain during the process; i.e. these two were bad, should we apply the fixes to each and every rifle or leave them alone?

In our case, we had a combination of mis-matched bolts / bolt-carriers. The use of McFarland Rings solved the majority of the issues. Coupled with reloads using 25 Gr. of H335 and 62 Gr. projectiles (a bit too hot for 16" barrels) we had a wide range of issues and false issues that we had to work through. The $155 rifle was not correctly head-spaced. A competent Gunsmith resolved that issue.

We are re-working our loads, and will probably drop down to 22.5 - 23.5 Gr. of H335. We are also investigating using 55 Gr. projectiles. That is a whole new workup.

Bottom line: If you do not mind working out the issues, then save the money. This is for the SKILLED types ONLY! If you are an end-user, spend the extra money. I have not seen any manufacturer mentioned on this thread that I have anysues with. This is the great news! There are a lot of really good manufactureres out there to choose from, and they are all nice (at least the one I have seen mentioned here).

Good Luck! Either way, AR rifles are a lot of fun.....
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

In addition to my previous post:

If you want something that you do not have to mess with, spend the extra money. I have seen deals from CDNN lately on S&W AR rifles that are very nice, $750 or less. Compare that to $550 for a load of parts and a cheap lower, and all of the issues are yours to solve.

The extra $200 is worth it if you just want to shoot. Between my partner and I we have 8 AR rifles, and have had issues with two of them. Since we went the $550 route, we had to figure it all out and fix. On one rifle, that was $5. On the other one it was $155. So we are still ahead of the game, but each issue that you encounter means that you have to shoot a minimum of 200 rounds to determine if it is fixed or not.

Do your own math. Factor in your ability to fix and resolve any issues.

We came out ahead, but we still felt really uncertain during the process; i.e. these two were bad, should we apply the fixes to each and every rifle or leave them alone?

In our case, we had a combination of mis-matched bolts / bolt-carriers. The use of McFarland Rings solved the majority of the issues. Coupled with reloads using 25 Gr. of H335 and 62 Gr. projectiles (a bit too hot for 16" barrels) we had a wide range of issues and false issues that we had to work through. The $155 rifle was not correctly head-spaced. A competent Gunsmith resolved that issue.

We are re-working our loads, and will probably drop down to 22.5 - 23.5 Gr. of H335. We are also investigating using 55 Gr. projectiles. That is a whole new workup.

Bottom line: If you do not mind working out the issues, then save the money. This is for the SKILLED types ONLY! If you are an end-user, spend the extra money. I have not seen any manufacturer mentioned on this thread that I have any issues with. This is the great news! There are a lot of really good manufacturers out there to choose from, and they are all nice (at least the one I have seen mentioned here).

Good Luck! Either way, AR rifles are a lot of fun.....
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.