Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Piston rattle..

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Question Piston rattle..

So I get a bright idea and decide too spend more money I dont have and build ARs..
    Besides the springs flying like the Space shuttle. Almost took my buddies eye out. He got a little pissed but I told him too grab another beer. Hell he has another eye.
    Anyways. The piston in the springs in the 6 piston stock. Guess something is supposed too move back and forth in there.
    One moves but makes no noise. The other sounds like a rattle making a hell of a racket.
    Not bad if I am just going too the range. But if I was out hunting Zombies.
    Every move they could hear me a mile away.
    Is it defective? Are their different qualities and importance of these pistons?
    Will it affect the firing mechanism of the weapon?
    Thanks in advance. 4th.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

The "piston" is a buffer. Most of them are kinda noisy, but it shouldn't be rattling. More of just a "springy" sound. There are two lengths for buffers. Short for carbine and long for rifle. Just make sure you have the short one.

It's function is similar to the return spring in the AKM.

There used to be hydraulic buffers that eliminated the spring sound.

Feedback Score

The noise is probably the spring rattling in the stock's buffer tube. I like the noise, lets me know when the bolt's locked back on an empty mag.

If you really want it gone then get a can of plasti-dip, like the stuff on pliers handles. Use some brake cleaner on the spring and dip it in that. No guarantees that it doesn't flake off and jam up your gun though.

If it rattles when you just shake the gun, like bits are loose inside then yeah, I'd either pull the buffer apart and fill whatever empty space in it with lead shot, or get a different one.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Hey 4th, do you have a license for zombies? What's the limit in Florida? Are they in-season or are you poaching? Bill

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i am listening close cause i got a rattling piston on my 96 GMC!

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

You can LIGHTLY coat the spring with grease to help limit the "spronggggg!" sound when shooting. If the buffer is rattling though measure the head on both of them to see if one is too small. It should be under enough tension to keep it from doing that. As far a zombies hearing you, give that rifle to the old lady or your buddy who wouldn't get you a beer when the zombies come calling.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Talking Geez you guys have some great ideas.

No. It is just the buffer itself that is rattling. When I take it out of the weapon, something is loose in there. Makes a hell of a racket. Like a kids rattle or something.
    My other ones dont do that.
    When I put it back in the rear stock with that giant flying spring.
    Zombies could hear me for a mile. Should I just heave it and write it off as defective?
    This Forest is alive with Zombies. If I start shaking. They will for sure find me with this thing.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score

4Th there are different size screws that hold the buffer housing depending on the type of butt stock, if your using the wrong screw in the buffer butt stock it will rattle. I'll try to to PM a article on it to you. If I remember right for a adjustable stock the screw is about 5/8"long where a military fixed stock screw is just over a inch long.
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and goverment, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so that the second will not become the legal version of the first" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score

Push the roll pin out of the buffer and see what's in it. If it's lead shot then cut up a cheapo shotgun shell and fill it up the rest of the way and reassemble it. If you're worried about changing the weight of it you could probably get away with stuffing it with kleenex or cotton balls or something.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

seems like CAR style buffers only cost about $7 and the H ones about $18 give or take a buck or two.

honestly i haven't had any problems with my buffers. i don't think i have had to replace any of them over years of use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.