Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 545X39 AR upper

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

bolt is from model 1 sales.. I'll try a 223 bolt with my reloads.. and see how it runs.. B2B

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt2bounce View Post
    bolt is from model 1 sales.. I'll try a 223 bolt with my reloads.. and see how it runs.. B2B
    Im missing somthing here how is that gona help? my .223 bolt is two small to do any thing with 5,45 or 762x25

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

The 223/556 bolts are around .380" and will need opened up with a carbide boring bar to work with the 5.45 case.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

My 545 reloads are made form 222 cases.. so a 223 bolt will work..now I agree with ya.. the HS gauge may not fit if the rim dia on the gauge is the same as 545 case but I doubt it is the same DIA.. I bet it is smaller.. B2B

Feedback Score

do we no for sure what h/s is on AR, is it the same as AK

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Sounds like he has a 5.45x39 upper, but made brass from 222 cases which have the same rim as a 223/556 at .378". That would explain why his extractor may not be grabbing the case well. Since he is reloading, the excessive headspace can be compensated for. Years ago I had a well worn M1 with excessive headspace. I simply sized the brass until it would just close the bolt and used those rounds only in that gun. Heck they wouldn't even chamber in any of my 30-06 guns (I tried because I was curious).

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    Sounds like he has a 5.45x39 upper, but made brass from 222 cases which have the same rim as a 223/556 at .378". That would explain why his extractor may not be grabbing the case well. Since he is reloading, the excessive headspace can be compensated for. Years ago I had a well worn M1 with excessive headspace. I simply sized the brass until it would just close the bolt and used those rounds only in that gun. Heck they wouldn't even chamber in any of my 30-06 guns (I tried because I was curious).

that could be why the head-space problems as well.

i have built a number of uppers on the citadel 5.45 barrels and ALL of the head-spaced perfectly with the 5.45 steel cased ammo and the correct length and depth bolt.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

head space closed with a no go gauge, on my barrel bolt combo.. the Head space can not be determined with a case.. it can not head space with a ammo..brand. ammo either fits or doest fit.. if it doesn't fit headspace is too short..if it fits it still may not be correct headspace.. with excessive headspace.. the weapon may or may not fire, it may or may not separate cases, it may or may not blow out primers or misfire w/ light firing pin strikes etc.. unless you have a gauge you can not know for sure if it is correctly headspaced.. if your headspace is off.. the rim may not engage the extractor correctly.. that error is/was with a factory steel case wolf not 222 reformed cases.. My reformed case extract better than the wolf ammo... everything is new unfired,, so it may just be /need some break in.. But the head space is loose..according to a 545X39 gauge.. B2B

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Question B2B..

Did you get this one figured out? Interesting thread. I am reading and learning.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.