Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Shorty is in.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

pretty intense post, love it.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Post Shorty. Lessons learned..

O.K. first I am a novice with these shorties. Hell I am a novice with the longies.
    So me and tiny, my brother, hit the range yesterday and go for broke.
    The range "Ocala gun" is pretty well marked. So it was going too work. Or a new gun whipping record was about too be officially set.
    I brought 4 lowers, 2 uppers. 2 Rock River lowers, 2 Smith&Wesson.
    Think their the same damn thing with a different name stamped on them.
    - Hammer spring. Dont buy junk. Get a good strong one.
    - Break in. As advised. These things have too be broken in. I sat for hours working the bolt back and forth. Back and forth. Fired it, cleaned it, lubed it, fired it. Bolt back and forth again. I could feel the kharma, the love, of everything wanting too come together, knowing its fate if it didnt.
    - Magazines. "C" productus, not anti tilt. "P" mag with anti tilt. I guess you yougguns call it.
    Ammo- Marked "Tula" and the other, that XM stuff.
    We did a mix and match on loading the mags for testing purposes. Wanted both too work.
    Results- 300 rounds with one stove pipe with the S&W.. Both the C and P mags worked flawlessly. I put a stronger spring in the S&W, but still feel I, definitely, need that more heavy duty one, BBill spoke of.
    So I am guessing here. Break in, heavy spring for the hammer. The Rock River has the heavy spring "ProjectGuns put together"
    I guess?? Their is different qualities on the internals, hammers, springs. But it seems you get what you pay for. Buy quality. Especially that damn hammer spring.
    These ARs, seem too be a lot more temperamental, on everything working together as versus the AK.
    Accuracy- Well Us old guys hit the 4 foot square target at 50 yards. So we were happy. In the rite hands. With a younggun shootin. I would bet these things could be pretty darn accurate out too 100 yards or more.
    Anyone else out their with shorties jump on in, please. I even made sure these were dirty when we took them for the test run. They still worked.
    Thanks all for their advice and answering my novice questions.
    My brother "Tiny" has a bad back. So I know I would have won the AR toss.
    Thanks guys. 4th..
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

LOL 4th!

DID YOU SAY TULA????

holy shit batman-- i think we may have found the red herring!

if you got a batch as bad as the tula 223 i got from CTD that wouldn't run in anything reliable , even the 5.56 AK didn't like the stuff--

i don't think all of the tula is as bad as that batch, but i won't run tula in any iron i haven't tested and know it works right to start with so i can go straight to ammo if there is a problem.

the batch of tula 223 i got was very under powered , hell i had to pull the bullets and re-load the stuff with good powder to get it to run with to stop the stove-pipes.

had i not known my AR's were right that tula would have had me pulling my hair out! LOL!

i did buy some tula 45 acp recently it shoots OK but is dirty and some what under powered it has just enough push to cycle the OSS with the 18lb recoil spring --but no more. the stuff is right on the edge of not working--LOL

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Smile j4

When you buy a washing machine. 2 companies make the damn things.
    T.V.s I think 1 company makes them, in China.
    Bluejacks relatives.
    Ford, Chevy. Hah. 1 company. Their just putting different names on the things.
    - American Eagle Tactical XM193. Made in Minnesota. Yeah rite.
    - .223 Rem. 55 GR. FMJ.. Comes in a kind of rich peoples looking box. Very fine print on the bottom, marked "Tula works Russia." So small I had too have my niece read it too me. Cute little girl. but she can see and read. Swears like a Sailor. But not when I'm around.
    Sorry. But all this ammo is the same. Oh yeah.
    They have 20 illegal aliens chained too a bench in Montana making this stuff. Little midget feeds and whips them. I have been allowed in the factory. Oh yes. I saw it.
    Kinda sad. But hey. What the hell. I didnt tell them too sneak in our Country, sorry about their luck.
    So you helped me. See. Now I am helping you.
    Dont buy the rich peoples looking box. The expensive stuff. It is all the same commie crap.
    Ever since I put 400 rounds through these ARs and learned how too take the bolt out.
    I have become a Mall Ninja expert with them. Yup.
    Think I will P.M. Gunco Bob and ask too start a new forum here.
    "Just ask 4th and his drunk friends."
    Myself and the drunks that visit here, do not have a question we cannot answer. It may not be what you want too hear. But we will answer.
    Yes Sir. Trust us, will be our motto.
    O.K.. Were ready for the next question. I think we covered the ammo issue fairly well.
    Next question. Were ready. Shoot.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

OK- here's the first question. When flinging either a AK-47 or a AR-15 for distance, should I lock my wrists or try to snap and fling??

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up Very very good question.

Quote Originally Posted by BBill View Post
    OK- here's the first question. When flinging either a AK-47 or a AR-15 for distance, should I lock my wrists or try to snap and fling??
    No BBill. We have found the snapping technique is not favorable.
    We have all watched the Olympics. You know those guys who toss that frizbie plate thing.
    Watch them. Their good.
    3 spins and a release. Arms must be locked and straight. Make sure the weapon is unloaded and grip the end of the barrel with both hands.
    Most we can get is one spin, cause were drunk and get dizzy.
    But oh yeah, she will fly. Most we could get was 120 feet. But you young guys shuold be able too get er out there.
    Very good question.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Oh yea, not that young-56

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Postak

american eagle made by tula in russia?

man the world has gone insane!--LOL

yea 4th as flaky as that batch of tula 223 was that i got from CTD i wouldn't doubt that the 7" super-short didn't like the stuff one bit.

i thought you had real US made m193 ammo--

if you have some of that serbian made ammo that AIM or Copes sells "hot shot"? or PPU match - the brass cases stuff in 69gr and your low pressure woes will be gone.

or find some real US made m855 or m193 mil surplus. it is still around thought i don't think wally-world has any--

PS don't toss it to the gators just yet!

besides you wouldn't want to throw your shoulder out like a friend of mine did!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default No...

Not the American Eagle j4 that says made in Minnesota.
    The .223 Rem is the Tula one. 55 grain FMJ..
    Case it came in marked 5.56x45 on the outside. .223 Rem on the inside boxes.
    Marked JSC "The Tula Cartridge Works" in very very tiny print on the individual boxes.
    You really do need a microscope, too see the print.
    I tried too avoid the Tula after reading your post.
    Bought the case from Centerfire as .223 Rem. The sneaky devils never mentioned "Tula."
    Like I say. My little niece spotted it.
    "Uncle Tim. Whats Tula mean?"
    WHAT? Give me that box you little. Sorry honey dont cry. Give me the box honey. Let uncle Tim look at it.
    All the sites must have read your post. Now they are putting Tula in smaller and smaller print.
    j4. You may have bankrupted the company. Ah their damn commies anyway.
    The American Eagle shoots good. The Tula shoots, but about a foot high at 50 yards. Then a foot low.
    Guess I will just aim them low. Then high. Eventually it will hit something.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Postak

well 4th if it will function on the tula-- that is about as low as you can go in the world of 223 ammo so it must be pretty close to "on the money".

yea thats how i got the tula 45acp from center-fire systems. it just said russian made 45 acp, hell i thought only wolf made the 45 acp so i ordered a half case -- 500 rounds.

so far the 45 seems a bit underpowered but it will cycle and function all my 45 pistols and dirty but it ain't all bad as at least it goes bang--so far----LOL

i figure on the 223 and 7.62x39 tula ammo that there were batches of bad ammo shipped. i was one of the unlucky ones that got a batch with bad powder.

others have had reasonably good luck with tula 223 and 7.62 so maybe their lucky.

i might still try another batch of tula one day but before i buy another i am sure going to look and ask around if any bad lots are being shipped--LOL

i don't care much for "lottery ammo" so next time when i see some bad ink , i"ll be paying attention, i don't want to get stung like last time!
    Last edited by j427x; 02-19-2011 at 09:51 AM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.