Gunco Forums banner

Shorty is in.

6K views 66 replies 13 participants last post by  j427x 
#1 ·
Thank you ProjectGuns for your help with the lower.
4 inch barrel.
1 in 20 twist.
5.56 caliber..
Pictured with a .45 Colt cartridge.
At least this barrel is marked, so I know what it shoots.
Range report coming soon. Any suggestions for a scope would be appreciated. Thank you. 4th.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey 4th,

Hey 4th,

Give a C-MORE red dot a try. I have a couple of them that I use on my ARs and they work great without breaking the bank. Another Red dot to consider is a Vortec Strike fire, they are unbelievably tough and come with a mount for the AR + a 2x magnifier all for about $150.00. I have one of these on my Beowulf .50 with over 500 rounds down range with no problems what so ever. Here is a link with info about the Strike Fire:
Amazon.com: Vortex® StrikeFire Red Dot Rifle Scope(Suitable for AR-15): Sports & Outdoors

Official website info: Vortex Optics - StrikeFire Red/Green Dot Red/Green Dot Low Mount

Midway USA: Vortex StrikeFire Red Dot Sight 30mm Tube 1x 4 MOA Red and Green Dot with Low Weaver-Style Ring Matte - MidwayUSA

Talk to you later,
will6970

#7 ·
7 inch.. 1 in 9. Thanks will. My God this thing is light.
100 round drum. I think this barrel would melt. Im worried about a 30 round mag.
I was funnin. That is a bullet lighter next too it.
Should be interesting too see what these things can do at any distance.

#9 ·
Curt Thank you.

My eyesight really is going on me. I have stuff here too put on it. But thank you for the offer.
This thing is so small I may use it as a carry gun. :)

#10 ·
get in touch with that inner mall-ninja!

you just got to get an E-Otec 4th! thats what all the other fashionable mall-ninjas are "dressing" their ARs with!--

and maybe some digital paint job, Oh hell i forgot you got to have a bunch of rails--as many as you can bolt on there and a free float--LOL!

and a honking big flashlight!

just a funning 4th!--hehe! i'm part ninja myself--LOL!

#22 ·
get in touch with that inner mall-ninja!

you just got to get an E-Otec 4th! thats what all the other fashionable mall-ninjas are "dressing" their ARs with!--

and maybe some digital paint job, Oh hell i forgot you got to have a bunch of rails--as many as you can bolt on there and a free float--LOL!

and a honking big flashlight!

just a funning 4th!--hehe! i'm part ninja myself--LOL!
He's ruined already. Don't think you can go much smaller-now's the time to go BIG!! How about a .50 Beowulf on one of your lowers. You could be King of the mall-and the swamp!!

#12 ·
I fired it yesterday. Jammed on the first round. Failure too eject empty. Had too take it apart, clean and lube the hell out of it.
Kept working the action and it is getting smoother. Man this thing is tight.
Needs breaking in.
Loud. Loud. Buddy standing next too me, dropped too his knees in pain from the crack of the bullet.
Even my ears hurt.
Barrel marked "RR". Wonder if it is a Rock River barrel?
Small, lite, perfect for our swamp A.O..
Once I walk out my front door, into the half million acres of swamp. Visibility is about 20 feet. Long range shooting here is 100 feet.
I am not a hunter. I cant even kill the fish I catch. Catch and release. But I think someone could kill a deer with this, just from the noise.
Rock River lower- $250. Plus engraving and Stan "ProjectGuns" helping me put it together and engraving for my Tax stamp.
Complete upper from JSE- $318 delivered too my door.
Fired it with a Tax Stamped lower. Now I have too Tax stamp another lower for this one.
Mall Ninjas gun. :)

#15 ·
Fixed it.

60 rounds without a hiccup.
The whole action on this thing was tight. I mean super tight.
I broke it down and cleaned everything. Put it back together and just kept working the bolt back and forward. Could feel it starting too loosen up.
Took it apart again and lubed it with MiL Tech lube.
Now I could really feel a difference in the action, from when I first tried it.
Me and the boys took it across the street too the swamps, with two 30 round mags.
Pretty sure it was just basic wolf ammo. Had the ammo in a plastic bag so I am not sure.
Not one jam. Ran them straight though.
Oh my God is this thing loud. Strongly recommend ear plugs. :)

#16 ·
if it is eating the wolf OK it don't need any tuning up!

good to go! i would like the mall-ninjas to see that 7" eating wolf--LOL!

if their ammo is not blessed by some guru it can't possibly run in their full size ar-15s much less a super-shortie!

now how about some sights and some good electronic hearing protection?--LOL!

#17 ·
if their ammo is not blessed by some guru it can't possibly run in their full size ar-15s much less a super-shortie!
Wait what ??? ohh crap I have just been useing my reloads. I guess I'll have to find a guru or ammo god to bless my ammo, funny thing is it works fine in all my AR's even the short 11.5". I wonder what they would charge me to tell me my ammo is ok to use?

Reminded me when I was in Ramadi one of my buddies asked the Catholic Chaplin to bless his rifle so it would shoot better. guy was joking Chaplin didnt think it was that funny told him it was not the Catholic thing to do! I allmost fell off my chair laughing. I dont think Chaps had ever read a histroy book about the catholic church

4th now you need to get some action shots of that shorty making fireballs:headbang:

#25 ·
AR Guys Help.

After cleaning and lubing. Worked great. Now "C" products mag. Tried "American Eagle Tactical XM 193 ammo."
Fist two rounds fine.
Then. :frown: Round fires, bolt feeds forward. But. Round jams in an upward position, locking on the top of the bore.
It picks up the round fine. But just locks it on an upward angle.
Do I need a stronger buffer spring?
Do they make stronger buffer springs?
If I rack it back again too clear by hand, pulling the charging handle full rearward. Two round fine, then does it again.
Any ideas? Thank you 4th.
My 10 inch Rock River fires anything I put in it. Is their that much of a difference with a few inches less barrel? Stumped?

#26 ·
Give me a link. What the hell is a .50 Bewolf. I want one
.50 Beowulf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The base is the same as a 223/556, so it use a standard AR bolt.

After cleaning and lubing. Worked great. Now "C" products mag. Tried "American Eagle Tactical XM 193 ammo."
Did you try different ammo in the mag(s) giving you trouble, or different mag(s)? I'm not an AR person so I can help.

#27 ·
yea 4th they make springs in every rate for the AR-- stronger , lighter --you name it .

yea that XM if it really is m193 should be quite a bit more pressure than the old wolf steel cased stuff.

your bolt carrier may be going way to fast for it. a stronger spring or a heavy buffer should fix it. i would try a h1 or H2 buffer first--

if it it running wolf well -- and you got lots of wolf you could just use wolf in it--LOL!

the shorter the barrel the more hyper these things get.

i will look around and see what others have got to work with the 7" --as i have no experience with anything THAT short--LOL

#28 ·
after consulting with my "notes" and doing a search of the interwebbs this is what i came up with.

most 7" & 7.5" barrels come with a .062 gas port. to run some kinds of ammo sometimes they need to be opened up to .073 with a #49 drill bit.

i don't think this is the case with 4th 7" shortie though being over-gassed with the "good' ammo is the most likely problem.

i would check to see what buffer is in there. i bet it is a standard CAR if it is i would move up one notch in buffer weight to a heavy buffer like this one--

JSE Surplus - Search

#29 ·
O.K.. Here we go..

Please dont shoot. :nono:
My Bro j4 is my go too man on this stuff.:) Hell I dont even know how too take the damn things apart.
O.K.. So I call JSE.. In total support of them, of which one of the employees is a member here.
So. They flat out warned me about fine tuning the gas system on this toy, so they are NOT at fault.
Talked too the man. C products mags with the green follower, I guess without the anti tilt, has had their problems.
Yes they are still in business. They sell mags too the Military. :dunno:
Shut down, I guess, when they get big contracts.
So not writing a book here. He said too not get a stronger buffer spring. But take some weights out of the buffer I have and if anything, use a lighter spring. :dunno:
The rounds are stove piping.
Try different mags and get back too him???
His guess???? It is a mag problem. Bad feeding. But they work fine in my 10 inch Rock River???
I dont know. I will try different mags and see.
What do you guys think?????
He did say for sure. You really have too break these things in.

#30 · (Edited)
he he 4th!
are they stove piping? not ejecting the fired case completely?

i thought it was jamming the fresh round like the bolt wasn't fully grabbing the live round to feed?

that is 180 degrees off of what i suggested.

if you remove weight from the buffer the bolt carrier is going to get faster this will probably cause more jams with the m193 ammo.

i don't think it is a mag problem either.

going to a lighter buffer assembly and softer spring is what i would do IF i had one that was running western mil spec brass ammo and wouldn't run wolf. but your 7" has the problem the other way around.

if i read your post correctly , hard to tell after the 100 proof i had at the tea party, every thing is blurry and i lost my reading glasses--LOL anyways

if it was running with the wolf steel cased stuff and won't run right with the m193 ammo that sounds to me like it is a bit over gassed for the hot western made ammo.

i would try a heavy buffer ie a more heavy buffer --like that one JSE sells for $18

you might be able to add some weight to the buffer you got.

hell 4th just send it out, i think i got a couple cases of questionable ammo to try it out with--LOL

humm after re-reading your last post ? are you positive it is stove piping and not doing some other stunt?

just one would think that any military loading of m193 could NOT be lower pressure than wolf and that is what would have to be the case if your short stroking with it and not the wolf.

you know XM ain't on the ammo for no reason. maybe you got a bad under-powered lot?

try the same ammo and mags with the working upper and see if there is an ammo problem.

if it was working good before and now had a problem with the 193 ammo and the wolf ammo and the same ammo is working fine with the other uppers/Ar-15s , then something is amiss in the gas system. possibly a partially clogged gas port --

#31 ·
I dont know J4..

It s 1:30 in the morning here. My Mother f$%in blood pressure is pushing 400.
Mother F#$%in drug dealers want too use my back country road for their drug deals.
I usually grab old faithful off the wall and dump 30 over their heads.
They dont come back for a long time.
Grabbed shorty by mistake. One round. So I went out and started beating on their Mother F#$ing car.
Anyway they left Dodge in a hurry.
I think I will send this upper out too you. I will pay what ever you have too do too fix the damn thing.
These mother Fu#$kers scum want a war. I'll show them a F$%king war. I need all here too work.
P.M coming after the sun rises.

#37 ·
Thank You BBill.

Will call. These damn weak ass springs I have, barley send the hammer forward. Junk.
The ones in the Rock River will take your finger off.

Brad. I have one of those. Its sitting in Pirates safe. Im waiting for the damn tax stamp too come in.
The ATF probably read my posts on this and other sites. Probably sent the damn stamp too Tibet. :lol:

#38 ·
glad you found the problem. one of the good things about the Ar platform is you can swap things around. if you got one that runs it makes it easy to process of elimination trouble shoot the trouble prone part by just swapping stuff.

glad you didn't have to send the upper over as i would have put it on my pistol lower and it would have worked fine and left me scratching my head--LOL

yea wolf makes the best hammer springs.

i put the wolf extra power in my 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 builds due to their sometimes hard and deep primers.

the good this is the wolf springs cost a whole "double" what a regular spring do--a whopping $3.00--LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.