Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Shorty is in.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Not talking about springs, ment the rifle
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Well both. One got a beating and one got a whipping. I always kept a good hammer around when I was building the AKs.
    Watched some Arab guy in Uzbekistan build one from the ground up with just a hammer and anvil. Hell if he can do it with the education of a goat. Well hell so can I.
    The Rock Rivers worked from the git go. So they didnt get a beating.
    But the shorty uppers. Hell I dont even know what brand they are. They got the beating.
    Damn bolt in them was so tight. I had too beat them too get them out. Used a rubber mallet so as not too scratch them any. But they finally gave.
    No it wasnt that big spring in the stock. Guess they are good. Didnt have too beat them any.
    It was that hammer spring, like I say, in the shorties got whipped. They were so weak they would not even make the firing pin move. Their in the canal.
    Maybe I put them in backwards. Hell I dont know. Either way. I didnt like em so they flew.
    So I guess you guys answer is. A little beating. New hammer spring, some oil and their shootin.
    I dont know if I like these ARs. Kind of like a good race car. When there working rite, their a winner. When not. Their just a club.
    If the night of the living dead ever came out of the swamp. Think I would grab the AK.
    Did I answer you guys question. Yes their working. Least last time too the range.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

the things that can cause an ar-bolt carrier/upper to be too tight are.

too tight a head space, grit or shavings in the barrel extension, really tight chambers combined with too much spring /O-rings in extractor.

but the one i run across most often is a bent gas tube--

so how does the gas tube look on super shortie?

it has to be straight were it comes through the upper and mates to the gas key on the bolt carrier. any kind of bend or kink is going to cause the action to be rough.

did you try another bolt carrier & bolt to see if there are any binds?

i am all ways a bit cautious about the inexpensive bolt carrier groups that ship with uppers that go for super sale prices.

i am sure it is just some piddle thing--just difficult to trouble shoot without it in my paws--LOL

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default j4..

No everything looks straight. I was wondering what that rod was sticking out.
    I poured some lighter fluid in there and lit it. Must have cleaned out whatever was blocking it.
    My Marine Gunny Bro showed me that trick. I kind of look up too him. He is almost like a rocket scientist.
    Damn plastic caught fire but like a good Marine. He took off his shirt and we put the damn fire out.
    We painted it with high temp. BBQ paint. Dont look all that bad.
    But good info on the bolt. Glad too hear not just me they get stuck.
    Yeah. We had too beat it in, then beat it back out with that handle thing sits over it with the mallet.
    Stoner must have had the same problems we did. Guess that is why he put it there.
    But like I say. So far so good. We will see next time at the range.
    Bent bolt. Huh. Good thinking. I guess we straightened it out.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Post1911

Quote Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
    No everything looks straight. I was wondering what that rod was sticking out.
    I poured some lighter fluid in there and lit it. Must have cleaned out whatever was blocking it.
    My Marine Gunny Bro showed me that trick. I kind of look up too him. He is almost like a rocket scientist.
    Damn plastic caught fire but like a good Marine. He took off his shirt and we put the damn fire out.
    We painted it with high temp. BBQ paint. Dont look all that bad.
    But good info on the bolt. Glad too hear not just me they get stuck.
    Yeah. We had too beat it in, then beat it back out with that handle thing sits over it with the mallet.
    Stoner must have had the same problems we did. Guess that is why he put it there.
    But like I say. So far so good. We will see next time at the range.
    Bent bolt. Huh. Good thinking. I guess we straightened it out.
    have you got another bolt carrier and bolt assembly you can try in super shortie?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    have you got another bolt carrier and bolt assembly you can try in super shortie?
    Yes. But like I say j4. It really is working fine now. The guy, nice guy, at JSE even told me, these thing really have too be broken in.
    Hell I dont know. The only one I ever fired before was in the Military. They were well broken in by the time I got mine, so I dont know.
    If mine got dirty. I just switched it with some newbie who had a better one when he was sleeping. They all looked the same. They never knew.
    Really really was tough getting that bolt too move when I first got it.
    Dont think anything was bent. Just tight tolerances.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

well 4th all the ones i have assembled with all new parts only one was real tight.

that one was a wilson barreled 7.62x39.

when there was no round in the chamber it would hand cycle fine.

if you put in a live round the bolt was very hard to pull back like it was binding up on something or trying to lock up even.

when i checked things out i found that this barrel has a very tight match chamber and all those extra mall ninja things like extractor 0 rings and extra power extractor springs was causing the binding.

if i had fired it in that condition it would have pulled the rim off the brass.

the cure was simple. just pulled the mall-ninja stuff off the extractor & ejector and put in stock GI stuff and it runs like a champ now.

so i have never had one that required a "break in" other than a few rounds to seal up/carbon up the gas key.

oil her up good and run the shit out of super shortie 4th!--LOL

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.