Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: help ar-15 build

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Buffer and system balance

AR15BARRELS.COM - Randall's description of AR gas operation and how everything works in harmony

Car std 3.0oz
    Car H 3.8oz
    Car H2 4.6oz
    Car H3 5.4oz
    RRA 9mm 5.6oz

Normally pick the heaviest one that will still cycle WOLF reliably and lock back on the last shot.

Take 20 mags, and load them all with ONE round. run through that cycle a few times, and you can be reasonably certain that the rifle will function correctly with that particular buffer.

HOWEVER. keep in mind, that when the rifle gets hot and dirty, you then may start experiencing short strokes with a heavier buffer.

SO, whatever the heaviest buffer that will reliably lock back on the last round, fully cycle........EVEN when using UNDERPOWERED ammo (wolf) and with a dirty action.

THAT is the buffer you want. a proper weight buffer will minimize battering of the parts, soften recoil impulse, improve follow up shots, increase dwell (hense increasing accuracy, and minimizing chamber blowback).....etc.
    Constitution Or Bust
    Ron Paul 2012

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thumbs up Cool

Super great info on the ARs guys. Thank yall.
    Keep the info coming please. I be a learnin..
    Like I was saying. These ARs are like a race car. When running properly, they are one fine weapon.
    Good read their Gunny. Got a lot of info out of that article.
    Interesting about the barrel crown and how escaping gas will throw the bullet off. Often wondered why they told us too clean our weapons from back too front. So as not too damage the barrel crown.

BBill. Oh yeah Tiger ammo. Flame. Especially in our Mall Ninja shorties for sure.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Just came across this thread. Exellent info.
    "NA BEAN DON CHAT GUN LAMHAINN"
    Clan MacPherson
    "CREAG DHUBH"!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Postak

Quote Originally Posted by 4thIDvet View Post
    Super great info on the ARs guys. Thank yall.
    Keep the info coming please. I be a learnin..
    Like I was saying. These ARs are like a race car. When running properly, they are one fine weapon.
    Good read their Gunny. Got a lot of info out of that article.
    Interesting about the barrel crown and how escaping gas will throw the bullet off. Often wondered why they told us too clean our weapons from back too front. So as not too damage the barrel crown.

BBill. Oh yeah Tiger ammo. Flame. Especially in our Mall Ninja shorties for sure.

well at least the russians thought to put powder in the GT! maybe a bit too much sometimes! LOL!

i think some of this tula must have got loaded with cornstarch and floor-sweepings! LOL!

Feedback Score

My first outing with my x39 piston build was much like yours. I too had a Del-Ton barrel. It would eject Wolf steel cases but would not strip another round from the magazine. It would also eject cases about 2-3 feet @ 3o'clock. So when I got home I re-installed the FSB, checked the piston rod for binding and measured the gas port. I forget what it was but it was different than my 5.56 port. The next eange visit I fired about 100 rounds with no malfunctions except for 1 dud round. So apparently the gas block/ FSB was crooked. There is a little play in the front sight pins or holes I guess.

So before enlarging the gas port check to see if the gas block is on straight.

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by LA_357SIG View Post
    My first outing with my x39 piston build was much like yours. I too had a Del-Ton barrel. It would eject Wolf steel cases but would not strip another round from the magazine. It would also eject cases about 2-3 feet @ 3o'clock. So when I got home I re-installed the FSB, checked the piston rod for binding and measured the gas port. I forget what it was but it was different than my 5.56 port. The next eange visit I fired about 100 rounds with no malfunctions except for 1 dud round. So apparently the gas block/ FSB was crooked. There is a little play in the front sight pins or holes I guess.

So before enlarging the gas port check to see if the gas block is on straight.
    Not a bad sanity check....
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.