Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Surfire High-Capacity Magazine, 60-Round

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Surfire High-Capacity Magazine, 60-Round

High-Capacity Magazines provided by SureFire

Has any one tryed these yet ??? not intrested in the 100rnds but the 60rnds look sweet. Price is way to High for me, for the price of the 60rnd I could get 12 very nice 30rnd mags but they still look pretty cool

My hope is that they might make some for AK's or just import some

looks like midwayusa will have them soon
    Surefire Magazine AR-15 223 Remington 60-Round Aluminum Matte - MidwayUSA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TheCol.U.S.M.C.; 03-02-2011 at 02:22 PM.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I don't believe they're available yet.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

From Midway's site
    Date expected in stock: 3/14/2011

I like the idea, but I'll sit on the fence and wait to see some real world reviews.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

the 60s and the 100rd would be interesting to try but i would hate to spend that kind of $$$ and it turn out to be a turkey.

with 40 rd mags and p-mag extensions selling for so little it is hard to get excited about a very expansive big cap mag that "might" work--LOL

i'll wait for a couple price drops. by then we will know if there any good as well.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)

Default Looks like they copied the Sumi coffin magazine

Hi Col U.S.M.C,
    It looks like Surefire has copied an old Sweedish Sumi coffin magazine. I have one somewhere in storage, and it worked pretty well when I had my Sumi. Of course it was designed for a pistol round, and this one is for the .223. I will see if I can find it and post some pictures. In the mean time here is a clip from an article on the Sumi coffin magazine, and a picture.

The Fifty Rounds Box Magazine

Loading the 50 rd. box magazine, known as "ruumisarkku"; the coffin. A loading tool is essential to push in the recommended 40 to 45 cartridges. With the tip of a screwdriver it is possible to squeeze some thirty rounds into the "coffin", and with bare fingers presumably no more than ten cartridges.

Sweden adopted a shortened variation of the KP/-31 for manufacture under licence as the Kulspruta or Maskinpistol Model 37-39 and bought full-size guns from Finland as the model 37-39 F. The Swedes were not satisfied with the 70 rd. drum, finding it overly complicated, expensive and too heavy compared to its cartridge capacity. Apparently the Swedish firm Linde AB designed a novel, four-row 50 rd. box magazine that was 40 per cent lighter in "dead weight" compared to the 70 rd. drum m/Koskinen.

The Swedish magazine is composed of two staggered-row box magazines with a common feed "throat" tapering to feed lips, similar to all earlier magazines of KP/-31: The distance between the lips is considerably less than diameter of a cartridge case. Filling the magazine is therefore slow and tedious, even with a special filler tool (any user of the STEN gun will probably concur with this statement)

The magazine followers of the Swedish 50 rd. "coffin magazine" are of cast aluminium alloy, presumably too soft a material for the purpose because the feed springs are truly heavy. The springs are tapered and it is possible to compress them down to a very small space thus keeping the overall length of the magazine not much longer than that of the 20 rd. box clip. The Finns were fascinated by the light weight and inexpensive manufacture of this magazine.

250 Swedish magazines were bought before the Winter War for tests by military units. In 1940 Tikkakoski Oy bought the manufacturing licence for the "coffin magazine", but feed springs for them were bought from Sweden until the end of production. 120 000 Swedish pattern 50 rd. magazines were made by Tikkakoski Oy in the years 1941 to 1943. By then the many drawbacks of mechanism had became well-known: the magazine is impossible to fill with much more than ten cartridges without a special tool. This in itself was not a rare defect but battlefield experience had revealed some other drawbacks as well.

The balance of the feed springs was critical and the Swedish springs were sometimes of varying quality. It was possible to wrongly re-assemble the magazine after field-stripping. Feed jams were met frequently if the magazine was filled up to full 50 rd. capacity. A reasonable quantity of cartridges is 40 to 45 rounds (this author has shot ca. 3000 rounds using "coffin magazines" usually filled with 25 and never more than 30 cartridges. No feed jams or other disorders were apparent. This author has, of course, filed and honed away all the sharp burrs from the feed lips).

The magazine was also too frail to stand knocks or battering. A slight bruise or a small quantity of dust or dirt inside a loaded magazine could render it unserviceable. The manufacture of the Swedish pattern 50 rd. magazines was terminated in 1943, when the technical superiority of the Finnish 70 rd. drum had - once again - been demonstrated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Mil-Spec hard-anodized aluminum
    I would worry one little dent and it's $160 down the drain. I would think steel would have been a better choice. I think the 60rnd. quad stack AK mag was made of steel but I have never seen one in person to look it over.

In a auto feed gun the magazine can make or break

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

well maybe surefire fixed some of the issues with this type of quad mag--and maybe the didn't?--LOL

hopefully we will get some input on it. if the price don't come down quite a bit i think there going to be very slow sellers.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

From the pics I have seen of the Russian 60rd Ak74 mags they are polymer.

Feedback Score

Wonder for what the Russians might sell their quad-stacked mag ???? Can there be a chinese airsoft copy far behind ???

VD

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I like gadgets but I believe if the Russians could have made them reliable and idiot proof they would have pursued them further.
    Gunco member #11

“it is dangerous to be right in matters about which the established authorities are wrong” Voltaire

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.