Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Army tested steel cased ammo in m16

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Postak Army tested steel cased ammo in m16

Vietnam War: M-16 M-14 and Other Rifle Groups: Department of Defense Reports, Field Manuals, and Training Film

about half way down the page in the link you'll see where the army tested a batch of about 21,000 rounds of steel cased 5.56 ammo in m16 rifles.

the army deemed it good enough except for it rusting after being exposed to the elements.

now i have seen mall-ninjas go on and on about how bad steel is for an AR-15,m16--LOL

i would think that a 21,000 round test would be pretty solid in facts.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

The biggest probem with the typical steel case ammo is the polymer coating or the laquer coating the usually comes on it. If you can get copper washed or zinc coated like the silver bear then it is great for the AR. You can shoot the coated stuff but it tends to gum it up a bit.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

I laugh every time I see someone say "steel ammo is bad" comments, let them believe it, more ammo for us
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

the sometimes questionable powder and the steel jacketed bullets are more of a concern to me on the russian made ammo than the steel cases.

i have been shooting the stuff in AR-15 for what seems forever.

on the varnish and coatings sticking to the chamber i haven't encountered it yet in ar or AK.

i do like that golden bear brass washed ammo. all the russian ammo seems a tad dirty and slightly under pressure for me lately but not enough to worry about --except some batches of tula--LOL

and wouldn't an AK be affected by that same varnish build up in the chamber?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

With all the damp weather down here in Florida. I give all my ammo a good dipping in wheel bearing grease before I take it outside.
    Not too thick. Just enough too make it slip in the chamber easier.
    I tried motor oil, but it was getting splashed on my glasses.
    Cant tell for sure. But my buddy told me it makes the bullet go faster.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

I have had it gum up my Ak a little also but not near as bad as my AR. It usually happens after a bunch of bullet dumps where everything is hot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I wish more people hated steel cased ammo, more sales for us. only issue i have ever had was with some .40sw wolf, steel case was splitting every 4 or 5 round stiil feeded and ejected ok tho. Oh and my buddy was bitching about some of the tula .223 but he pull 20 rounds and put diffrent powder in it (varget I think) and it shot fine.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

While in the Service many many years ago. With the original M-16s and ammo.
    We beat the dog piss out of our weapons, mags, ammo.
    Never cleaned them, left our ammo in the dirt, slapped a mag in and they ran full auto. Accuracy. Hell I dont know??
    After they aired out the problems with the powder. Ours ran just fine.
    Oh hell. Their was jamming problems on both sides. Malfunctions.
    The poor Marine kids got the first bad ones.
    After that, rack it shoot it.
    "Man needs but two things to survive alone in the woods. A blow up female doll and his trusty old AK-47" - Thomas Jefferson 1781

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

The main thing I've heard about the steel cased ammo is "it wears out the extractor and bolt faster", it might but no one has shown it yet or how many rounds it takes to do it.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Postak

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    The main thing I've heard about the steel cased ammo is "it wears out the extractor and bolt faster", it might but no one has shown it yet or how many rounds it takes to do it.

mine is not a scientific test bay any means. but after thousands of rounds i can't say i noticed much if any more wear than anything else.

but steel ammo is BAAD! it ruins mall-ninja weapons and makes you have small sexual organs!

(ps i hope to see some on sale)--LOL

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.