Gunco Forums banner

Decided to try building my own PDW type AR.

754 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  j427x 
#1 · (Edited)
kinda following the idea of the Knight's PDW with the 6X35 round I decided to try making one using existing materials and dies. I decided to try the 256 Winchester Magnum but in a rimless form.

This is the rimless 256 Winchester Magnum next to a .223 cartridge.

Right now I'm just loading the cases for fire forming so they are not max loads. The cartridge case is made from new Lake City .223 brass and when fire formed holds 23 grains of water which is equal to the original rimed case. I'm using 70 grain Sierra BlitzKing bullets and hope to get maybe 2400fps out of the carbine.

This is the AR I've built. The barrel is 11.5" long with a fake moderator pinned and welded to make it a legal 16+". I didn't want to spend the extra money to SBR this since I didn't know how it will turn out.

the magazines I use are the Magpul Pmags and the rounds feed smooth as silk. I have only fired test rounds through the setup but hope to go to the range this weekend for some operation and accuracy work. I've added a small scope to the carry handle since the picture was taken since I have bad eyes and could not use the iron sights that well. The front sight is there as a sight only and the working gas block is under the handguards in the pistol length position. If you look close at the upper handguard you can see a small hole drilled in one of the ribs -- that's for the allen wrench used to adjust the PRI adjustable gas block.

See less See more
#3 ·
that is an interesting build.

how does it shoot so far?
I've only put about 20 rounds through it as a test of the gas system. I wanted to adjust the PRI adjustable gas block down to just operate with the fire forming loads. The Pmag actually feeds the rounds perfect. I hope to get to the range this weekend, if the weather clears, to see what the accuracy is on the carbine. The barrel was actually another person's project that never got started and I wanted to try it out. The barrel is a 1:10 twist melonited barrel.

#4 ·
I had a good day at the range -- the carbine shoots as good as I hoped it would. With the cheap 4X scope I could get 1" five shot groups -- no real flyers. I did have to open the gas block some as the gun got hot -- nothing is really broken in yet and everything got tight. I only put 50 rounds through it today. With the fast Lil' Gun powder and the melonited barrel it was a snap to clean when I got home.

#5 ·
Went to the range to do some fire-forming of the brass. I decided to try for some accuracy with these loads at the 50 yard range. The target below is 15 rounds shot fairly quickly and is similar to the other targets. It was the last target shot and I guess I was not paying attention and got that flyer outside the target.

The carbine operates like a Singer Sewing Machine -- really nice to shoot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.