Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 Future Rifle Concept

Feedback Score

Default AR-15 Future Rifle Concept

I need a skilled machinist, preferably near NC, that can help me machine a modified AR lower. This design is state-of-the-art and I need help getting the prototype. The qualified machinist will be compensated upon completion but will be asked to sign a non-disclosure agreement.

Anyone interested or know a good machinist?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

there are several on Gunco--

just keep this posted and surly some will turn up-

Feedback Score

cnc warrior is in NC

Feedback Score

Thanks guys. I've ordered from CNC Warrior before but I didn't think about contacting them. One gentlemen I talked to told me it was going to cost anywhere from 15-50 grand! I don't have that kind of cash but I'm sure I will once this design hits the market... with my name and patent on it

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Pm me with what you are looking for.

CEO Macon Armory Inc. Mad-Machinist's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Vigil777 View Post
    Thanks guys. I've ordered from CNC Warrior before but I didn't think about contacting them. One gentlemen I talked to told me it was going to cost anywhere from 15-50 grand! I don't have that kind of cash but I'm sure I will once this design hits the market... with my name and patent on it
    Honestly you need a good manual machinist with a a big ole billet of 7075....will it be expensive? Yes...but it'll be a hell of a lot cheaper than paying a draftsman to build a solid model, then generating the code setting the tooling up ....fixturing the table so the machine can do what ya want, plus there aree 6061 billet 80%'er on the market that would allow welding bits and pieces to alter the profile of the existing lower as necessary.

It isn't that hard to make a billet lower on a manual machine.....might not be perfectly profiled but you CAN make a functional prototype so you can shoot your concept and make sure it is all you anticipate.

Not to rain on your parade.....but the machining costs are insignificant to the expense of patenting your invention....that is probably where the 50 grand figure came from.....before you show your concept to a manufacturer the most important document you need is a good non disclosure agreement.

another thought is if you can generate a solid model of what you want......rapid prototyping services can actually print your design in a 3D printer that would stand up for limited testing

I'm in Ga.....might be able to help you with a functional prototype.....and will be happy to sign a non disclosure

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Having some small experience with prototyping this kind of thing, I will offer the following advise, for what it is worth......

1. You can patent nearly anything that you can describe, document, and define. Patent attorneys are just good at getting the words right, and ensuring a complete submission package. I hold 35 patents for all kinds of electronic stuff. Compression thingys mostly...Video, audio, storage and delivery. The cost to acquire the patent varies. The cost to DEFEND the patent is why you use the attorney to do it......READ THE FINE PRINT.

2. A non-disclosure agreement is a dandy thing, but it does not in any way preclude the signatories from INDEPENDENTLY developing a "NEW" concept that trashes your IP (Intellectual Property) and rendering your efforts valueless.

3. The ONLY way to really do this, and keep it all yours, and defensibly claim the end product as your own is to set yourself up to machine the bits yourself. This means that you will need to be able to do the rough out design on paper or computer, make the "lab-rats" from those, improve the design, THEN you can outsource the solid modeling, CNC program, etc. etc.etc. Oh, and you need to KEEP all of the failures, and document each one. Plan on spending between 15-25K in tools of all descriptions.

There ARE cheaper ways to do this that you can easily outsource. Take the AK receiver flat as an example...Then look at the ORIGINAL AR180. PM me. We can talk. And I do not care about IP in this regard. I WANT NOTHING from this. I am simply motivated to help someone who has a great idea, and wants to do something about it. Keep in mind, I just broadcast my willingness to help with a statement of ZERO renumeration or ownership to an audience of what, 10,000 subscribers? 150,000 lurkers? All you have to lose is an hour or so of your day.
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score

Thanks again. PM sent.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

I will go ahead and stand here and say too that I will help you how I can. I am not interested in "screwing" anyone. If you have a superior idea GO FOR IT. I have no problem with nondisclosures as long as your not trying ot nondisclosure the wheel or something absurd, ya know? Oh and PM sent.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Vigil777 View Post
    No offense, but the AR market is not the best right now. And, I can't see a "new" design that hasn't already been done before by "reputable" manufacturers. I can see if your an AR manufacturer that has all the equipment to just pump one out at virtually no cost. But, as an individual it probably wouldn't be worth the money invested. JMHO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.