Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anybody here tried Sabots in a 7.62X25 carbine?

Feedback Score

Default Anybody here tried Sabots in a 7.62X25 carbine?

The reason I ask is I'm working on some different rounds. I made up some that will work in the PPS-43 magazine and some long ones that I made a special 30 M1 carbine magazine setup for. I first started in an old blowback AR Tok carbine I had and then decided to go to my DI operated Tok carbine when I did the M1 Carbine magazine thing since there was no ejector built into that. The DI Tok carbine functions like a champ with the Sabots without having to change anything like springs or buffer weights.
    The picture below is of the two different types of rounds. The shorter ones on the left use 35gr Hornady bullets and 11.o grains of AA#9 and an over-all length of 1.36" -- they fit in the PPS magazines just fine. The rounds on the right use 55gr Sierra spire points and 11.3 grains of AA#9 with an over-all length of 1.57".

The picture below is of the M1 carbine magazine and adapter with a Sabot round in place. The bullet in that Sabot is an older type I was testing with -- a 50 grain Hornady moly V-max that is actually a longer bullet than the 55 grain Sierra spire point.

Loading these sabots takes a little extra work so they go in straight and don't get the plastic shaved. I've fired many rounds for function testing in the DI Tok AR but have not had a chance to get to the range to check if I can get any accuracy out of them. I was just wondering if any body here might have also tried the Sabots?

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I was thinking aof doing the same thing a while back when I read that they were very inaccurate. IIRC 1Biggun said he was getting something like two foot groups with them. Others had similar stories about not being able to hit the broad side of a barn from inside the barn. Do some tests and let us know how they do. Maybe there's a sweet spot for velocity or twist rate.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by moleman View Post
    I was thinking aof doing the same thing a while back when I read that they were very inaccurate. IIRC 1Biggun said he was getting something like two foot groups with them. Others had similar stories about not being able to hit the broad side of a barn from inside the barn. Do some tests and let us know how they do. Maybe there's a sweet spot for velocity or twist rate.
    I read the stories myself. I know one fellow that's trying them but in a rifle that has a twist rate that is not fast enough to stabilize longer bullets. At 50 yards he is getting 2" groups but at 100 yards it's more of a pattern not a group. He is stll shooting the rounds because he said it hits like a 22 hornet. There are some requirements that must be met to make these work and I hope I can get close with my Tok carbine. The twist rate is 1:10 so it should be able to stabilize the bullets -- if anything it might be a bit too fast for the length of bullet I'm using. the little 35gr bullets are going to be spun way too fast but for 50 yard use that should be ok. I don't have a chrony so I can't measure the velocity but it should be up there.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I've loaded those 35gr hornadys in a 223 and shot them out of 1-7", 1-8", 1-9", 1-12", and 1-14" twist barrels. They held up even with the 1-7" twist barrel and a max charge. The only one I shot for accuracy was the 20" 1-7" (my main coyote gun) and I was getting about 1.5" groups at 100yds on a calm day. The gun shoots better than that with heavier bullets, but 1.5" is more than good enough. I want to do a little bit more testing with the slower twist barrels to see if they work better. They are explosive when they hit something though! Here's the 35gr vmaxnext to a 50gr vmax.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score

I tried Sabots back when they first came out and had piss pour results with them, but that was with a 3006 not pistol rounds so maybe someone could get better results than I did. The only reliable guns that I know that use them are MILITARY TANKS. I know my view is jaded but thats my experience.
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and goverment, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so that the second will not become the legal version of the first" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I have used the sabots in my 50 hawkins for about the last 20 years. I know it's blasphemy to use sabots in a muzzleloader, but it allows me to shoot a heavier bullet with a higher BC faster than a round ball. I haven't noticed any loss of accuracy using them in the muzzle loader, and none of the deer have complained yet.

Feedback Score

Unhappy

I'm just playing with the sabots to do something different with my 7.62X25 Tok carbine. Most of what I have read from people trying the sabots has been mixed. Some have had no accuracy and others have had acceptable accuracy. I just want to see if I can get the acceptable type accuracy out of the little carbine. I wish I knew what the magic procedure is to get these to work each time. I've just been very careful with inserting the bullets in the sabots and then inserting the sabots in the cartridges -- being sure they are as straight as I can get them. I wish I had the time to drive out to one of the ranges that's open during the week but I've got too many things going on right now to try to shoot for accuracy. I hope to be able to go in about 2 weeks.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I tried thim in a 7.62x39 and has poor results with 45 grain bullets, IM told and have read that you need to use heavier bullets to make them work. I plan some day to try some 69 grain bullets. the twit is not toi fast for the lighter bullets in fact a 1-10 is pretty good for a 45 or 50 grain .22 bullet.

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    I tried thim in a 7.62x39 and has poor results with 45 grain bullets, IM told and have read that you need to use heavier bullets to make them work. I plan some day to try some 69 grain bullets. the twit is not toi fast for the lighter bullets in fact a 1-10 is pretty good for a 45 or 50 grain .22 bullet.
    I was wondering what rifle you were using -- was it an SKS or AK? Do you know what the twist rate is in the rifle you tried the sabots in?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I was wondering what rifle you were using -- was it an SKS or AK? Do you know what the twist rate is in the rifle you tried the sabots in?
    IT WAS A ROMMY AK 47 WITH IM GUESSING A 1-10 OR SO TWIST LIKE MOST OF THEM.

THE TWIST RATE SHOULD BE FINE. AS MENTIONED MANY 223,S HAVE A 1-9 FROM THE FACTORY OR FASTER.

I THINK THE ISSUE IS THE SABOT NEEDS TO COME OFF CONSISTANTLY EVERY TIME.
    TRY SOME HEAVIER BULLETS AND SEE WHAT THAT DOES.

THERE IS THE 22 REED THAT IS A NECKED DOWN X25 CASE. CHECK AND SEE WHAT THAT HAS FOR A TWIST RATE.

I WAS CONSIDERING TRYING TO CONVERT A TOKEROV M57 PISTOL TO A 22 REED OR SOME THING SIMULAR. WAS THINLING OF USING A BARREL LINER IN A FACTORY BARREL.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.