Thread: Refinishing A1 Handguards

Feedback Score

Default Refinishing A1 Handguards

Does anyone know about refinishing old A1 handguards? I have orginal from late 70's and these always seemed to be fauled with marks / impressions from molding the plastic. I am wondering after all these years if these impressions / marks can be sanded or leveled? Also any recommendations for final polish/finish would be appreciated. I want to keep this rifle as orginal as possible.
    thanks

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by kcb013 View Post
    Does anyone know about refinishing old A1 handguards? I have orginal from late 70's and these always seemed to be fauled with marks / impressions from molding the plastic. I am wondering after all these years if these impressions / marks can be sanded or leveled? Also any recommendations for final polish/finish would be appreciated. I want to keep this rifle as orginal as possible.
    thanks
    What color are they now? I have some on an upper that has a subcontracted FN 1:12 twist pencil barrel. There is nothing special about my setup other than than it shoots really super with iron sights. I have no need to maintain any of the original finishes or parts so I lightly sanded the handguards and spray painted with flat black industrial paint from Rustolium. If the finish gets banged up I just re-spray. In your case -- "trying to keep things original as possible" -- I would not mess with the hanguards, but that's just me. There is a section over on ARFCOM for reto-builds -- if the answer you want doesn't come up here, try posting the question over on ARFCOM at AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum - AR15.COM
    Some of those guys refinish their funiture and know the brands of paints to use to get the correct colors and finishes to keep everything retro correct.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.