Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AR novice needs assistance

Feedback Score

Amen to the above. If you choose NOT to build AT LEAST your own lower and then have to learn about it for whatever reason in the future, you will be seriously kicking yourself in the ass for not doing it the first time. Yes, there is a high number of parts, but they are broke down into a smaller # of steps and you'll know how to diagnose a good ammount of FC issues.

I have a buddy that was complaining to me about his older BM being a POS. I asked what was wrong, he said the take down pin keeps falling out, the gun never did fit right and the trigger sucked, he was ready to sell it for nothing and start over.. . HOLY CRAP! I told him to let me see. I took out a punch, reset the pins detent/spring, replaced his hammer spring and installed an accu-wedge in ~5min. He couldn't believe it.

That was damn near a MAJOR loss for NOTHING. All because the town we're from (I moved, for now) is small and NO BODY messes with black guns. Either you're a hunter or a IDPA shooter, FOR NOW. Small towns take a while to catch up w/ things, anyways BUILD IT, BUILD IT, BUILD IT, you won't be sorry.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Postak

Quote Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
    Amen to the above. If you choose NOT to build AT LEAST your own lower and then have to learn about it for whatever reason in the future, you will be seriously kicking yourself in the ass for not doing it the first time. Yes, there is a high number of parts, but they are broke down into a smaller # of steps and you'll know how to diagnose a good ammount of FC issues.

I have a buddy that was complaining to me about his older BM being a POS. I asked what was wrong, he said the take down pin keeps falling out, the gun never did fit right and the trigger sucked, he was ready to sell it for nothing and start over.. . HOLY CRAP! I told him to let me see. I took out a punch, reset the pins detent/spring, replaced his hammer spring and installed an accu-wedge in ~5min. He couldn't believe it.

That was damn near a MAJOR loss for NOTHING. All because the town we're from (I moved, for now) is small and NO BODY messes with black guns. Either you're a hunter or a IDPA shooter, FOR NOW. Small towns take a while to catch up w/ things, anyways BUILD IT, BUILD IT, BUILD IT, you won't be sorry.

the ar-15 is one of if not the most simple center-fire high-power semi auto to work with there is.

there is not a whole lot of smithing to be done really.

the only parts of it that are much work are.

setting up a barrel for the GI front sight post. this requires some steady measurements and some drilling. a mistake and you get off the barrel port and or a canted front sight.

installing the barrel in the upper, this requires the barrel nut to be tightened up and in time with the gas tube. generally pretty easy. but many first timers bend the gas tube.

and then there are those little flea sized retaining pins that capture the big pins in the lower.

and there is the springs being installed backwards or getting swapped around.

all but the last two are if your building an upper.

if you buy an assembled upper all you will have to do is install the stock hardware, install the LPK and then attach the upper on the lower.

DPMS even has the parts mapped out on their skin-packed LPKs so it is sort of like having an instruction manual.

there is an army/AF manual on the M-16 that has about all you'll need to know about building any ar-15 in detail. has drawings of where the parts go and what to look for.

i think it is in the downloads section here. a good read for anybody wanting to build the ar-15.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Should be ordering my parts today from Palmetto State Armory. The only thing that pisses me off is that thanks to that asshole local FFL, I missed the $50.00 lowers sale! Thanks for all of your input guys. I know I am not the OP, but it was a subject that I was ready to post about anyway. Hopefully it helped the OP as well.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Postak

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendican View Post
    Should be ordering my parts today from Palmetto State Armory. The only thing that pisses me off is that thanks to that asshole local FFL, I missed the $50.00 lowers sale! Thanks for all of your input guys. I know I am not the OP, but it was a subject that I was ready to post about anyway. Hopefully it helped the OP as well.

recently since the 'rush" has ended lowers have been coming up on sale pretty regular.

lowers are lower $$ than they ever have been.

there will be some deals on lowers-- just recently AIM has had spikes on sale for $69 IIRC.

not that long ago ANY lower was $100+ and $120 was the average price plus shipping.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndAmendican View Post
    You probably already ordered your stuff, but if not check here. I believe I saw that the SAA lower's are the same forgings as PSA
    AR-15 Upper Receivers - Surplus Ammo
    Surplus Arms & Ammo LOW15 Stripped AR Lower Receiver

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Thanks Logan. I was planning to buy one of PSA's M4 kits, but they were out and it was going to be a few weeks before he had them back in stock. Knowing my wife, I figured if I didn't order it now, the money might not be there in the "gun fund" by then, so I went ahead and ordered the same basic M4 kit from Del-Ton. Next week I'll pick up a lower. If AIM still has those, I might get one or two of them. I want to get a Magpul MOE trigger guard too. I prefer the extra room, plus it just plain old looks better.

Any input on mags? I was thinking of getting a magwell adaptor for my Galil, so I can run AR mags in it as well. I want something that will run well in both, yet not be too expensive. Are the C Products mags decent? TIA,

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

C products mags should be fine.

my favorites are D&H mags or any mags made by D&H selling under another name like DSG and the mag-pull "P" mag.

GI surplus mags can be a good deal just be sure to check them over first.

one of the good things about the AR-15 there are plenty of good mags for them cheap and that was not the case in the past.

nowdays $10-$15 will get anything you want in a good mag. i have been buying the 40 rd c-products mags lately for $15 a pop. they seem to be a hell of a mag for $15 and seem to work fine with 44 rounds in them--LOL

i don't really need a 44 round mag but i thought i would buy a few just to piss the anti gun liberals off!

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

I was actually thinking about some of the 40 round C products mags. Glad they work good. I also like the P-mag with the window. Seems like a good idea. What are those polymer SOCOM mags? I can't remeber who makes those.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Never mind, I found them. The Tango Down mags is what I was thinking of.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i don't know about the tango down mags, i have never used them --them might be great for all i know.

CDNN has some mags on sale this weekend for like $6.99 made by fusil those could be good.

copes, 44mag, CTD, DSG and lots of places have good mags on sale. seems like DSG had some D&H made mags with the no-tilts for like $7 a pop not long ago --don't know if that sale is still on.

i bought a bunch of DSG/D&H mags from CTD on a blowout sale a while back for $5 or so a pop. so there are some deals on good ar-15 mags from time to time. the days of paying sky-high prices for good ar mags are over--for now anyways.

Specials

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.