Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: AR novice needs assistance

Feedback Score

Default AR novice needs assistance

Looking for an entry level AR-15, I see Rock River has Entry Operators for $1000.00 and Red Jacket has one for $1050.00. Is one of these better than the other? Other suggestions?

Thanks
    al

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

"entry level" is on of those salesman gimmick buzzwords. like your going to have a ar-15 with training wheels or something then graduate to a REAL ar-15?? LOL!

without the particulars on either weapon i can't say one over the other. either sho0uld be fine though i would lean to the red jacket version as it is not a mass produced variant.

in the building world a "entry level" ar-15 would go for more like $500 sometimes even a bit less. in the mall ninja world the more it cost the better it is.

sometimes you do get a little more, the trick is to know where that extra $$ should be spent and spend the money saved on good mags and ammo.--lots and lots of ammo--LOL

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Welcome aboard Al. I'm in the same boat. I am well versed on the AK platform and have built and own many, I do not have, nor have I built an AR. I am just at the research stage to see if I want to buy an M4 type AR15, or build it myself.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Those prices are expensive in today's market. I would get a colt 6920 before any of those(I've seen them new for $1050-1100shipped)

Check out Palmetto State Armory too. You can get a Complete chrome lined upper for $400, and a complete lower for $240 or you can build one of there's for much cheaper.

So your looking at $640+shipping and you just have to slap it together.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Postak

Quote Originally Posted by logan09 View Post
    Those prices are expensive in today's market. I would get a colt 6920 before any of those(I've seen them new for $1050-1100shipped)

Check out Palmetto State Armory too. You can get a Complete chrome lined upper for $400, and a complete lower for $240 or you can build one of there's for much cheaper.

So your looking at $640+shipping and you just have to slap it together.

this man speaks the truth!

the AR-15 m4 is a bolt and pin deal so why not build you own?

palmetto makes some very good stuff so that $400 upper has all the good stuff in it to start with.

they also sell a $50 forged lower.

add in a $55 stock kit and a LPK for about $60--where are we? about $550? throw in some good mags for $10 -$12 a pop--

you see where we are going with this--LOL

anyway if you got a little $$ you can make go a long long way as the rush is over and the glut is ON-- and they need to make a sale.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Yeah you need to do some more research, you should be able to find a basic AR for the 500-700 range, and if you can put one together you can do it for a little less or get better quality parts.

And out of the two you mentioned, I'd go with the Red Jacket, I think you'd get get a better built rifle.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

If you are looking for good deals on AR rifles, check out CDNN...

Buy Gun Accessories, Hi-Capacity Mags, Scopes, Gun Parts & More at CDNN Sports, Inc.

They are one of the Factory "Blowout" channels.

If you want to really build your own, there are a number of companies that sell parts kits with everything except the lower receiver.

akpartskits.com
    These guys have the lowest prices, but they just assemble the kits and sell them. Up to you to make it all work. I have had good luck, but; out of 8 kits total purchased, 1 was a complete lemon (bad barrel) and four had gas ring issues. In truth, the gas-ring issues were contributed to by hot-loading as we worked out our loads. Had we correctly diagnosed the bad barrel soon enough, we could have gotten it taken care of for minor shipping fees. Our bad. These guys have a somewhat bad rep due to their affiliations with some previous bad-actors. I have had no real issues or trouble with them.

cmmg.com
    These guys are a class act, but not too popular due to some early customer service and QC issues.

Del ton Rifle Kits & Del ton AR 15 Rifles | Gun Supplies & Gun Accessories from Del-ton, Inc.
    I have heard good things about these guys. But I have not really purchased anything other than some small parts and a lower parts kit. Decent prices, slow shipping, no issues with the products.

-D S Arms
    Very good quality, ok prices, great customer service. Recognized for their FN-FAL Products. I would buy from them without hesitation. In fact, I will be re-barreling one of my uppers using their heavy profile-mid length gas system barrel. They have excellent barrels at excellent prices. They love the Nitride process, and those have been well reviewed as being BOTH accurate AND durable. The best of Chrome-Moly accuracy and Hard Chrome Durability.

Model 1 Sales:
    It is hard to recommend these guys. A couple of issues through the years, customer service is acceptable, prices are not as good. It is also hard to flame them. eh., just eh.

Bushmaster, Colt, S&W, DPMS, and at least a thousand others are all good, great, or god-like.

Look in the mirror and ask "am I a Rifleman, or a Gunsmith?" If you are a Rifleman, buy a brandname and pay the money. Enough said.
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

I know I am not the OP, but thanks guys.
    Good info Bellson. Thanks. I think I'm going to get a parts kit from either PSA or Delton, and a PSA lower. Plus PSA is only about 90 miles from me. Hell, I might drive down there.
    Enforcement, NOT Amnesty!!!!!!

"If they’re going to come here illegally, apply for & receive assistance through a corrupted Government agency encouraging this lawless behavior, work under the table & send billions of dollars each year back to their families in Mexico, while bleeding local economies dry, protest in our streets waving their Mexican flags DEMANDING rights, while I have to press ’1′ for English, then they need to be shipped back to where they came from!" -Chad Miller

Feedback Score

Yeah, there are plenty of manufacturers. . . so many that I can't even keep up. . I forget one, then another pops up. I hate to do this, but if you're gonna list all of the above, then you must list

BCM and Spikes

They are my 2 favs, maybe just 'cause they were hot when I got started building. Honestly I've used then for 10s of K of $ and they provide top notch quality at modest prices. I still don't buy a BCG from anyone else, except FZ.

BUILD YOUR LOWER (at least). If you've built AKs, then you already have the tools for AR building. I like a good mag well block, but if you're cheap a block of wood will do. Slap a complete upper on and go shooting!!!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i would go with PSA, del-ton keeps trying to rip me on the shipping!

JSE is also very good folks

and DSG arms!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.