Thread: new ar-15 caliber

Feedback Score

Default new ar-15 caliber

yes a new 7.62x40 or a 300aac on steroids is out called 7.62x40 wt . barrel and mags are a must.

Feedback Score

sorry for double posting a new thread but my computer, i think up-chucked when i tried the first time on this subject. my apoligies!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Any good links or articles? I found an American Rifleman article. There are just so many of these new chamberings for the AR 15 that are purpose specific, such as the 300 whisper for subsonic use. I guess time will tell. If you are not a hand loader the cost can get prohibitive on these specialty loadings.
    Gunco member #11

“it is dangerous to be right in matters about which the established authorities are wrong” Voltaire

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Yea the cost of a wild cat caliber, that may or may not be around in a year, is whats keeping me from doing a different upper for my Bushmaster too.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

125 gr. Nosler Ballistic Hunter, 2375 fps muzzle velocity, zero range 175 yards
    how is this any better than a 7.62x39 ???????? seriously I can get that easly with what I have now and I can get plinker ammo for $4 a box. there are factroy x39 loads that are with in 50 FPS of this.

it dosent even come close to the Remington sponsored and made 30AR round so how can they say it out does all the other stuff. I dont see any reason to go this route. no ammo for it need to hand load to make it any good. if im going to reload ill be doing somthing better than 2375 FPS

Im all for a new round but this one is not going to take off. especialy with the already existing 30 remington. yea it needs a special bolt but so what. the ammo being cheaper will pay for that pretty fast.

What is the parent case?? they speak of fire forming it and gaining a half a grain of capacity.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

The 7.62×40mm WT is based off the 7.62x40mm wildcat cartridge, The shoulder of the WT was moved .003" forward and the throat was made .001" larger to accomodate mass-production tolerances but stay within the tolerance of the original reloading die
    tooling of the 7.62x40mm. The parent case (5.56×45mm NATO) is trimmed down to 1.560" and is re-sized with a 7.62×40mm WT sizing die. The overall case length after the shortening and re-sizing is 1.565". The cartridge is designed to use .308" diameter bullets in weights of 110 to 150 grains, with a standard twist rate of 1-12". Wilson Combat states that heavier bullets can be used in a barrel with a 1-8" twist rate for subsonic loads.
    hmmm seems to me it would have less case capacityt han a x39. I also see that the ammo maker showes the velocity even slower than there site. I dont see how it is susposed to out perform any thing.

the only plus's I can see is it takes a standard AR bolt and it can be made from surplus brass. and naybe a standard straight mag.

oh yea the ammo is like $30 a box. HMMMMMMMMMMM

Id like to know what pressure there running it at? Im guessing about 51,000 PSI

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

a lot of these 30 ar type loads are solving the overly steep taper with the 7.62x39 russian and they use a .308 bullet that makes for easy re-loading.

not a bad idea. i have even toyed with the idea of opening up a 6.5g to use 308 bullets. the 6.5g would have room for a tiny bit more powder to boot.

the truth is it is just too damn easy to get the 7.62x39 ar to run and it is not nearly as expensive to set up as any wildcat. and the 7.62x39 can do any thing the "cats" can do for less $$.

hell SMG is even selling 7.62x39 barrels for $89m you can buy a 7.62x39 bolt for $66 you roll your own from a $34 --5.56. a 7.62x39 will feed 5 -7 rounds from a 5.56 mag.

and you can can find the c-products mags on sale sometimes.

the 7.62x39 is a little bit more problematic to set up than a 5.56. converting a 5.56 upper to 7.62x39 is not nearly as involved as building an AK from a kit.

you will have to trim and fit a few things , unlike a normal 5.56 AR build where you just assemble the thing.

if i had to buy a 30, i would get the blackout cause i think the ammo will be around. and the 300 does well with a can.

a lot if the new rounds are fodder for the re-loaders to buy new dies for and they don't really do much more than add a new name to the list--

i like the 6.5 for all around use -$13 for 20 -but my normal use ARs 5.56 and 7.62x39s see most of the use and still do a good job for far less $.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.