Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New AR15 hunting upper

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

223/5.56, 7.62x39, 5.45x39,6.8spc, 6.5G, 30 carbine, are common swaps for the AR-15 and they all use the standard ar-m16 uppers and lowers. for hunting deer the 6.8/6.5 and 7.62x39 would be the best bets in the AR-15 sized frames.--

i have been very tempted to do a 6.8SPC because i have been running a 6.8spc2 bolt for my 5.45x39 wilson barreled upper for several years. all i would need is a barrel and a mag to run some 6.8-- if i was so inclined.

bigger stuff like 308/260/243 will need the bigger AR-10 sized platforms.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

The 300 blackout uses all ar 223 parts except the barrel and muzzle device. It gives you 30-30 power in an ar. Also ammo is loaded by several major manufactures

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

SWEET, I'll be getting a complete 7.62x39 upper and mags next, my next investment. Thanks for the info, I didn't relize the lowers were the same for both cals., nice!! Recoil spring the same too?? Or do I need to change that out too?
    keep in mind that a lot of 7.62x39 ar,s have feed issues due to the mag not being curved that is the main issue with the conversion. That is also why the 300 blackout was designed. both are a little light on deer IMOO especialy if your shooting very far. I hunt a lot with a x39 and have killed a bunch of deer with it but Id rather have a little heaver bullet and a more speed to expand it. I have pulled nearly intact soft points in 7.62x39 out of deer that were shot at over 200 yards and i damm near could have reladed the bullet back in a shell it was so undamaged. not a lot of expansion going on.

If I hade to be stuck with a AR lower for hunting deer ( and there is no way id let that happen) Id look at the the 30 RAR or possably a 6.5 grendal. neither are optimal IMOO the 30 AR is not really that close to a 308 win as advertised because no one is hunting with 125 grain bullets in a 308 WIN. There are the WSSM rounds but Im a little dubvious of the strength of these guns. they have a hard enough time keeping 223/5.56 bolts from breaking not sure Id be up for a WSSM round. I know there is a lot of them out there but there are better options like a AR 10 if you need a assult style hunting rifle.

if you can get by with a 6mm bullet on deer. there is the 6mm AR turbo that is pretty damm fast and is close to a 243win. there is a thread ont he round in the AK calibur conversion area. uses a x39 bolt its sort of a blown out necked down grendal.

IMOO THE MAG WELL IS TO SHORT AND BOLT STRENGTH IT TO WEAK IN THE AR TO BUILD A OPTIMUM DEER RIFLE. THERE ARE BETTER GUNS FOR DEER HUNTING OUT THERE SO SPENDING A GRAND TO BUILD A AR INTO ONE JUST DONT MAKE SENCE TO ME. YEA THEY ALL WILL KILL A DEER BUT ITS WHEN YOU SHOT IS NOT PERFECT THAT ITS NICE TO HAVE MORE SPEED AND MORE BULLET. ( THIS COMING FROM A GUY WHO HUNTS WITH A AK PISTOL LOL)

Feedback Score

Model 1 sales has the odd ball bolts & carriers for several different cal. I like the 204 Rem my self. There off the shelf prices aren't to bad.
    "The two enemies of the people are criminals and goverment, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so that the second will not become the legal version of the first" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
    keep in mind that a lot of 7.62x39 ar,s have feed issues due to the mag not being curved that is the main issue with the conversion. That is also why the 300 blackout was designed. both are a little light on deer IMOO especialy if your shooting very far. I hunt a lot with a x39 and have killed a bunch of deer with it but Id rather have a little heaver bullet and a more speed to expand it. I have pulled nearly intact soft points in 7.62x39 out of deer that were shot at over 200 yards and i damm near could have reladed the bullet back in a shell it was so undamaged. not a lot of expansion going on.

If I hade to be stuck with a AR lower for hunting deer ( and there is no way id let that happen) Id look at the the 30 RAR or possably a 6.5 grendal. neither are optimal IMOO the 30 AR is not really that close to a 308 win as advertised because no one is hunting with 125 grain bullets in a 308 WIN. There are the WSSM rounds but Im a little dubvious of the strength of these guns. they have a hard enough time keeping 223/5.56 bolts from breaking not sure Id be up for a WSSM round. I know there is a lot of them out there but there are better options like a AR 10 if you need a assult style hunting rifle.

if you can get by with a 6mm bullet on deer. there is the 6mm AR turbo that is pretty damm fast and is close to a 243win. there is a thread ont he round in the AK calibur conversion area. uses a x39 bolt its sort of a blown out necked down grendal.

IMOO THE MAG WELL IS TO SHORT AND BOLT STRENGTH IT TO WEAK IN THE AR TO BUILD A OPTIMUM DEER RIFLE. THERE ARE BETTER GUNS FOR DEER HUNTING OUT THERE SO SPENDING A GRAND TO BUILD A AR INTO ONE JUST DONT MAKE SENCE TO ME. YEA THEY ALL WILL KILL A DEER BUT ITS WHEN YOU SHOT IS NOT PERFECT THAT ITS NICE TO HAVE MORE SPEED AND MORE BULLET. ( THIS COMING FROM A GUY WHO HUNTS WITH A AK PISTOL LOL)

those C-prod 7.62x39 mags have been running great for me.

hell it don't cost a grand to convert an AR-15 to 7.62x39 a barrel is like $115 and a bolt is $60.

you need yo go back and check some figures --and PS all caps sucks!

yea a bolt gun would be better--but they don't cost much to convert and they will damn sure kill a deer.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
    Model 1 sales has the odd ball bolts & carriers for several different cal. I like the 204 Rem my self. There off the shelf prices aren't to bad.

i got a model 1 7.62x39 bolt. they are some what prone to breaking. however this one has shot thousands of rounds.

my other 7.62x39 has a DPMS bolt, i figure it is better but it don't have the rounds down the tube the m1 bolt has.

so far the AA bolt i have been running in the grendel has held up to some pretty warm loads.

i figure if a guy is that worried about bolts he should go with a 6.8 as its head is just slightly bigger.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

hell it don't cost a grand to convert an AR-15 to 7.62x39 a barrel is like $115 and a bolt
    is $60.

yuo need yo go back and check some figures --and PS all caps sucks!

yea a bolt gun would be better--but they don't cost much to convert and they will damn sure kill a deer.
    Why it it that all you hear about is problems with 7.62x39 conversions??

SO SPENDING A GRAND TO BUILD A AR INTO ONE
    And if you read my post it says a grand to build a AR and with good parts and optics and to get one to shoot good it will cost close to that. I might be high but its a lot closer than $175.. and i dont want to resight in a rifle every time I want to go hunting so a switch barrel swap is not a viable deal. If im building a deer rifle its going to be a deer rifle all the time ready to go sighted in. and you are going to want at least a assembled upper not just a barrel and bolt. an if im going that fat whats another $150 for the lower ??

glad to hear the c products mags are working for you.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I think I'll just get a complete Bushmaster upper and mags and get it over with, shouldn't be any issues there, if so it has a gauarentee. I don't need it for a deer gun,got plenty of the "right" ones for that job, 06 ,270, 6.5 swedish and 8mm mauser for the thick brushy areas, are my prefered deer guns. I just want anouther caliber option for the Bushy I've already got with out gearing up for yet anouther caliber. Small calibers don't bother me for deer, just got to pick your shots. I'm a head shooter anyways with small calibers, ya knock them on there ass or miss, the only way to go. I did take a nice deer about 5-6 years ago with the AR, about 250 through the woods, took a bit to find a hole and a nice rest, but 1 shot 1 kill, 1/2" behind the eye and down he went. I thought I wouldn't get a crack at him, but with the patchence of Moses I finally found a hole just before he slipped into the swamp. Nice deer, 183lb 9pt, short rack but nicely shaped classic rack, to bad that was the gameyist damn deer I ever ate. I'd still rather wait for muzzle loader and go for a nice fat old dry doe, good eating there. We've got one where I hunt that I've been watching, she's got big white eye rings and hasn't had a fawn with her for the 2nd year now, didn't take her before cause she always threw twins or tripletts. This is the year. One deer usually get's me throught the winter quite well. And where I hunt we've got a rule that the buck have to have at least 6 points before we take um. and we only take the dry doe, and only 2 of those each year. We've been working on a game manigment plan for 10 years now and have some quality deer in there now, but it sure is hard to watch those 4-5 pointers dance around you without taking a shot!!! But that's fun too. Thanks guys for all the info on the x39 swap out.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Since your talking 762x39 so much, I got to ask.
    Didn't someone make a lower that took AK mags? That just popped into my head and had to ask
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post

hell it don't cost a grand to convert an AR-15 to 7.62x39 a barrel is like $115 and a bolt

Why it it that all you hear about is problems with 7.62x39 conversions??

And if you read my post it says a grand to build a AR and with good parts and optics and to get one to shoot good it will cost close to that. I might be high but its a lot closer than $175.. and i dont want to resight in a rifle every time I want to go hunting so a switch barrel swap is not a viable deal. If im building a deer rifle its going to be a deer rifle all the time ready to go sighted in. and you are going to want at least a assembled upper not just a barrel and bolt. an if im going that fat whats another $150 for the lower ??

glad to hear the c products mags are working for you.

building a bolt gun with a quality optic is going to cut the snot out of a grand$$ as well. hell i got nearly a grand in my 08 edge and it is about as cheap as one can go.

a barrel swap is just turning one nut? that too much work for you?

it don't cost no where near a grand to do a good shooting AR-- i got a rack full of um.

where are you seeing all these "problems" ??? not on this board--and i have been shooting the shit out of the 7.62x39 ar for the past three years.

why don't you go do a fact check before you open that big pie hole of yours?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.