Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New AR15 hunting upper

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Coils View Post
    Since your talking 762x39 so much, I got to ask.
    Didn't someone make a lower that took AK mags? That just popped into my head and had to ask

yes. it is sort of a problem as it has to use a special bolt carrier that is machined for the AK mag lips.

i see one from time to time for about $800

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

why don't you go do a fact check before you open that big pie hole of yours?
    WHAT IS THE POINT OF BEING A DICK?? THIS IS A DISCUSSION NOT A PISSING CONTEST. MAYBE ITS A AR OWNERS THING, I SEE IT ON ALMOST EVERY AR SITE. I AM NO WAY SAYING YOU ARE WRONG ON MOST OF THIS.

I spent right at a grand on my last AR in 223 with a GOOD heavy barrel good mounts and cheap optics GOOD trigger and a few dodads that may or may not have helped. I could have spent less but then it would not have shot as good. good barrels are not $100. Ill admitt a deer hunting good enough barrel likely can be had for that but it aint going to be great. I have also pieced a AR together for $400 a few years ago with internet buys and cheap needed to be fitted partss. It went bang and there was nothing brag about.

HONESTLY WHAT CAN YOU CURRENTLY BUILD A COMPLETE AR IN X39 FOR WITH A DECENT OPTIC, TRIGGER AND A MEDIUM QUALITY BARREL??? IM TALKING WITH MOSTLY NEW PARTS AND AVERAGE PRICES FORM CURRENT SOURCES???? LETS USE A LITTLE BIT LONGER THAN 16" BARREL IF POSSABLE TO GET A LITTLE MORE SPEED. A 18 OR EVEN 20" BARREL WILL NOT HURT A DEER GUN. IF WERE GOING TO DEBATE NUMBERS LETS SEE WHAT IT REALLY ADDS UP TO. I WONT BE HURT SEE IT COME IN AT WELL UNDER A GRAND. LETS SAY $175 FOR THE OPTICS. THATS ABOUT WERE I WOULD START FOR ANY OF MY DEER RIFLES. I DO RELIZE THAT FOR MANY HUNTING SITUATIONS A SCOPE IS NOT MANDATORY.

I am far from a expert on the AR. I assembled a few that about it.

the internet is full of people reporting issues on 7.62x39 through a AR mag well. you would have to be blind not to see them. If i get time ill post a few links of just what I saw last week while researching the 300 black out.

Again I am very glad that you are having good luck with x39 in your guns thats great. Im i susposed to ignor all other reports from those who have issues?? NO id be smart to find out what your doing right and that is the point of this discussion. I honestly noted what mags your using for down the road. I have zero use for a x39 AR but you never know. a 6mmx39 would be cool.

I do have to ask if the x39 works so damm good then why is every one jumping on the 300 black out band wagon lately??? slightly less power and no cheap ammo for it. dont make a lot of sence to me. I under stood it to be because there were issues in x39 through a AR mag well. Also you can use a standard bolt that is susposed to be more reliable than the x39 bolt that sees more bolt thrust.

Gander Mountain has remington 700,s with a scope ( likely a cheap one) for $399. they have savages with a scope and a rebate for a case an something else for sligtly less. both those guns are going to offer more performance than a x39, 300 black out, 6.5 grendal etc. trying to compare a cheaply built AR to a $1000 bolt action aint that fair either. I have high dollar bolt actions also but im not comparing them to a $500 AR it would not be fair.

I under stood this discussion to be about setting up a AR 15 for deer hunting and what is the best calibre option for that. Ill restate that IMOO and from having done it for quite some time thatt he x39 is not a great deer round. Yes it will kill them but there are hundreds of rounds better. the 30-30 evewn though it has possably killed more deer than any other round is not a great deer round either. Its what was avalable at the time and guys used the best they could. at 100 yards It will work fine if your aim is on. same for a x39. personaly I look for at least 2500 or more FPS with a 150 grain bullet in 30 calibur to feel really comfortable with my gun choice at longer ranges. It my opinion and every one is free to dissagre It wont hurt my feeling one bit. Personaly I work with the AK platform as the mag well is not restricted to short rounds for SA assult style hunting needs. If that wont work there is a browning BAR in 7 mag that will but 4 shots into what I aim at as fast as i can pull the trigger. there are lots of remington Autos out there in 30-06 that will out do a AR in every way except mag capacity ( restriced any way in most states) that are avalable used for under $400. My dad and nad grand father have shot one for over 40 years with little proplems. If you want a deer rifle in SA then buy one made for it. if you need to have a assult style rifle for that then look at the AR 10 or other 308 win length case magwells. a fal or cetme or what ever. Ill take the extra power every time. tracking wonded deer suck. ill take the extra damaged meat over thatr any day.

AGAIN IM NOT TRYING TO TAKE THIS DISCUSSION DOWN A UGLY ROAD.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

NOT TRYING TO BE A JERK BUT HERE ARE SOME LINKS TO GUYS WHO HAVE X39 ISSUES IN THERE AR'S THESE LINKS ALSO SUPPLY MANY SOLUTIONS. i FOUND THESE INA BOUT 30 SECONDS BTW and there were at least 50 others. . AGAIN I DONT HAVE A X39 AR AN IM NO AR EXPERT.

7.62x39 Problems - AR15 Armory.com

Ar 15 Chamber in 7.62x39 feeding problems - AR15.COM

colt 7.62x39 upper(feed problem) - THR

7.62x39 AR15? - THR

7.62x39 AR15 wont feed. - Calguns.net

300 AAC BLACKOUT (300BLK) THIS IS THE BLACK OUT SITE.

colt ar15 in 7.62 x39 C PRODUCTS RECOMEDED AS THE CURE.

Custom '7.62x39 Russian' AR15 - Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

AR15 / M16 Magazine FAQ INTERESTING SITE.

.300 AAC BLACKOUT (.300 BLK / 7.62x35mm) | The Firearm Blog SAYS THE 300 BLACK OUT IS BETTER BECAUSE THE X39 DONT FEED RIGHT.

300 AAC vs. 7.62X39 - M4Carbine.net Forums

there was a ton of other sights as well but my main point is i was not just making this shit up. there were also a ton of reported issues with shooting ammo with hard primers. a easy fix i suspect.

I did notice that most guys had solved there issues with later Cproduct mags.

i feel it would be safe to say that if you build a 7,62x39 it very possably cpould need some tweaks a 223 wont tneed to get it reliable.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Hey guys, I have had conversations and debates with both of you. I appreciate each of your opinions. Can we tone it down? One of the nicest things about this board is we generally get along and may agree to disagree, unlike some boards that are populated by... well... DICKS...

Biggun has a history of YELLING, its just his way. One of the "flavors" of the board.

Anyway i like you both and just hope we can take a step back and move on like this board deserves.

just my .02 guys.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Yea, I have seemed to see alot of discusson about feed issues, and bolt issues, this may not be as good option after all. I'm just trying to make the AR a more versital gun by finding outher uses for the lower without getting into a wildcat cartridges, something I can get a box of shells most anywhere for off the shelf. And with a bit more wollop than a 223. Thanks for the links. I'll have to think this one out a bit more, but I do know I don't want to haul a 9+ lb bare Panther in 308 around all day. I'd have kept the FAL if the weight wasn't an issue. locked and loaded (small mag) with a high power scope it tipped the scales @ >15 lbs, to much to haul around!!! The panther would be about that too decked out.

Another Day In Paradise DiabloII's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

300 Blackout all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    buying up all the guns and ammo i can just to PISS OFF the douche bag liberals

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Biggun has a history of YELLING, its just his way. One of the "flavors" of the board.
    its not that im yelling I just cant type or spell worth a damm. the caps are not meant to be yelling. ill try to remeamber to turn them off more often. no promises LOL

there is no argument that J427x knows these guns better than I do. i wont aruge any thing about making a ar tick as I dont have the experiance to make those statements. I stuck close to a grand into one pretty fast.

I read that x39 can be problematic in a ar magwell so I made the comment.

I dont want to have to resight in for every differant use. if its hunting rifle it needs to stay that way or at least the upper needs to stay together. IMOO.

Ill stick by my opinions regarding calburs for hunting deer based on experiance and what I have seen first hand. all of the options are lacking for deer except possably the wssm options if your shooting over 200 yards. I have made kills out to 220 yards and I got lucky to recover the aniamls every time. It all sounds good on paper untill you got to shoot 250 yards across a field with a 16" barreled rifle then you really start to wish you had something else. I have had about 8 deer kills in the last few years witht he x39 an I have not been impressed eventhough i got every one i hit. i have been lucky. i now hunt with a 308 or 300 savage if im using a converted AK variant. I use a long barreld pistol to make it legal in the pistol/ shotgun only zone im in. If im hunting in a rilf ezone I have much better choices avalaible to me. tough to beat a 30-06, 308, 270, 7mm ect. you need to have confidence in your rifle to make the tough shots. I oftn shoot over 200 yards so i base my recomndations on that.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I may be a bit biased as J4 helped me get mine runnin but- I've got 2 7.62 AR's- 1 with a 16in and 1 with a 20in Shaw barrel. The 20 in is a Model 1 and is scoped-with a bi-pod. less than 700.00 total. The 16 in I put a Slide-Fire on for kicks, can't remember when but talked to J4 before I did it. My problems were more of opening up the gas hole and tuning up for commie ammo. Using the latest C-Products mags have no problem burning thru 30 with the Slide-Fire. Just don't want to burn the barrel out!!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I may be a bit biased as J4 helped me get mine runnin but- I've got 2 7.62 AR's- 1 with a 16in and 1 with a 20in Shaw barrel. The 20 in is a Model 1 and is scoped-with a bi-pod. less than 700.00 total. The 16 in I put a Slide-Fire on for kicks, can't remember when but talked to J4 before I did it. My problems were more of opening up the gas hole and tuning up for commie ammo. Using the latest C-Products mags have no problem burning thru 30 with the Slide-Fire. Just don't want to burn the barrel out!!
    Sounds great. is there optics on the 20" barreld gun you built for $700?? also what kind of groups are you getting with it with good ammo??? as Irecall I had about $850-$900 in mine bfore scoping it. i also with a considerably more expensive barrel than the Shaw. I have ER shaw barrels on a couple of bolt actions and they shoot very well for a inexpensive barrel. the 7 mauser I have shoots under a inch at 100 Yds.
    It seems that every were I read that the later C products mags seem to work well.

also i assume that is a .308 bore???? I dont recall ershaw having a .310 blank or other offferings. I could be wrong.

I may be a bit biased as J4 helped me get mine runnin
    Not a issue he would be some one Id ask for advice on a AR as well, perticularly a x39. I never wanted this thread to go down this path. I should have stayed with my recomondations on rounds and left the technical ar stuff to thoise who really now. Even at only $700 that knocks a pretty big hole out of a grand. but as mentioned a really good bolt action costs that and there not as much fun.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Originally Posted by Coils
    Since your talking 762x39 so much, I got to ask.
    Didn't someone make a lower that took AK mags? That just popped into my head and had to ask
    yes. it is sort of a problem as it has to use a special bolt carrier that is machined for the AK mag lips.

i see one from time to time for about $800
    Thanks
    I'm guessing that's $800 for the rifle, which doesn't seem too bad.

OK I'll let you folks get back on subject
    "Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem" Ronald Reagan

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.