Thread: Good AR Triggers???

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default Good AR Triggers???

As some of you guys have seen I'm trying to make my Bushmaster a bit more versitile by having additional uppers in different calibers but I haven't addressed the trigger. I'd like to get a match type trigger for it but don't really want to spend >$200-300 for a timney or equivilant. Any sugestions to get a decent no creep relese and get rid of the long travel would be a great help. I shoot very well with this gun but would really like to get rid of the shitty trigger, I'm sure that this would make my groupings better than they are now. The stock trigger feels like there's a hand full of "3/4" sure pack" jammed in there, very rough and gritty. I don't really need an adjustible trigger just want a match grade feel for those occasional 500+ yard shots on yotties, pretty hard to do now with the trigger that's in it now. Just looking for one that has smooth let off at 3-4lbs, and no creep and eliminate the long travel, that's my goal. The G2 trigger group that you guys sugested for my Maddi Ak was just the ticket for that gun and am looking for pretty much the same for the AR. I did polish the G2 a bit till it was like a mirror and it's like a whole new gun, HUGE improvement, and no trigger slap (best part)!!! Thanks for the help on that one, great, reasonably priced fix. Want to do the same to the AR without spending mass quanitys of $$$ to do it. After all it's one of my hunting guns not a national match gun. I can do sub MOA now but you have to really consentrate on the trigger control to do it. Just want something smooth and light for hunting.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Have you attempted any of the mods to your stock FCG?

Polish all the contact points.
    Cut one of the "tails" of the hammer spring.
    Bend the trigger spring tails "up"
    Set screw through pistol grip to stop creep.
    Cut hammer into "speed" hammer.

I did this to my bushmaster, and if I had to guess I would say it's around 3.10lbs, or around there. Almost no creep at all. I use to have a JP adjustable trigger w/ speed hammer and my modded stock trigger is maybe just a little bit "harder" but that would probably change if I got JP yellow springs.

I still used the upper w/ a .22 kit and it functions fine.

Feedback Score

I have a 7.62x39 7.62x25 545x39 and what Ive found is if your shooting surplus ammo forget about a 3 lb trigger your gonna have to have extra power hammer spring for those hard primers now you can still get your trigger pull down reasonable BUT, ever one is gonna have there opinion and i think 3 is a reach

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

there is not a lot to setting up the stock trigger. logan has pretty much covered it.

sometimes when i get a really bad trigger -- i'll dig through my box of surplus parts and swap a hammer or trigger around sometimes both. this is not something i have had to do often.

i think i got one "bad" CMMG FCG in a LPK i got from AIM several years ago.

i swapped in a new hammer i cant recall if it was a new armalite or a surplus de-milled m-16 hammer , but it did the trick. i used that bad hammer with another trigger and it worked fine in that set up. it pays to have a few spares to swap around--LOL!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I haven't done any mods to it yet and I was considering the polishing part, but school me on the set screw and speed hammer part ??? I'm a Mauser and target gun guy and I'm a total novice when it comes to working on the AR platforms, I've never touched one as far as mods go. Just used them in Nam and not much there, just got this one 7-8 years ago, the only one I have of this platform. I carried a 60 in Nam. If I can get it down to around between 3-4 and smooth W/O creep I'll be happy. The trigger thats on it is not horrible, just a long pull and creepy and a bit gritty as most of them are off the shelf. As for ammo the worst thing I use in it would be the Wolf WPA 62 gr HP, I stay away from surplus in this gun and use it mostly for yotties and chucks with my own home rolled rounds. Every once and awhile I'll go crazy and dust off a few hundred rounds of wolf when a pile of us go to the range,but for the biggest part it's a hunting gun so I really don't have to worry about the hard primers.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Here are some links:
    Junk Yard Genius.com AR-15/M-16 Pages, page 1.
    15 Minute Practical Trigger Job for the AR-15

As far as the hard primer's comment goes, I've never shot any surplus ammo, but if your familiar w/ the .22 platform of AR's they require a pretty strong spring. Unlike a 5.56 BCG were the firing pin is "free floated" the .22 isn't and requires a lot of force to strike the rim. I've heard of JP springs causing .22's not to fire. Yet I have had no issue's.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I'm going to be taking off in an hour to head to Scarborugh Me. for 3 days. My friend James(fishound) and I are off to do some product demo's at Gander Mountian. We'll be doing Vexilar, Strikemaster, Delorme, Navaonics, and Clam product demos, should be fun. Please keep the sugestions comming and when I get back I'll have some good info to use on the AR when I get back. Unfortunatly I'll be missing the opening of muzzle loader saeson, and the last weekend, we'll be in Sayaracuse NY, next week end at the sportsman show there. Go on to our site, vtsportsman.com, and you'll see what keeps me busy all winter. I'll be the old guy with the camo hoodie teaching the kids to fish with Vexilars, and holding up some slammies we caught. We have a great fishery around here with some monster fish avalible. You'll see one of our clients with 2 monster northern pike, one I caught, but it looks good for the clients photo album. Both of them were caught on a 2' jig rod wuth 4lb test line, both of these fish were over 14 lbs, and had to come up through a 6" hole, no easy task. The one I got took more than 3/4 hour to land, I was wound up for the whole 45 min.too, it's pretty exciting to get a fish that size through the ice on 4 lb test!!! Off and running, talk to you guys in a few days, later.

Citizen, Patriot, Ranger bellson's Avatar
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by j427x View Post
    there is not a lot to setting up the stock trigger. logan has pretty much covered it.

sometimes when i get a really bad trigger -- i'll dig through my box of surplus parts and swap a hammer or trigger around sometimes both. this is not something i have had to do often.

i think i got one "bad" CMMG FCG in a LPK i got from AIM several years ago.

i swapped in a new hammer i cant recall if it was a new armalite or a surplus de-milled m-16 hammer , but it did the trick. i used that bad hammer with another trigger and it worked fine in that set up. it pays to have a few spares to swap around--LOL!
    BUMP! I Agree! Old AR / M-16 parts never die. They just traverse from Receiver to parts box to receiver.... It's like, normal migrations....
    Imagine whirled peas

Peace, Love, And Superior Firepower

Bellson

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

AR-15 Non-Adjustable Trigger System New Jard Inc.

jard trigger set up for $49-- notice it looks much like the "mod" trigger??--LOL

Feedback Score

A friend just added a Giesele trigger group to his AR and it made a huge difference. Thinking about adding one to my Bushmaster as well. They are available at Midway.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.