Thread: opening up a 5.56 bolt to 7.62x39?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Postak opening up a 5.56 bolt to 7.62x39?

well i been playing around with an old DPMS 5.56 bolt i bought a couple years ago. back when you could get them for $24--LOL

i opened it up to 5.45x39 a couple years back. though the bolt worked OK i never really liked it because i didn't think the base of the round fit 100% flush with the bolt face.

i thought i would open it up a little more to fix this problem and i over did it--it was then leaving 5.46 cases in the barrel.

after giving it a year or so in the "junk box" i took it out today and thought "what the heck?" a couple more turns and it will be opened up to 7.62x39 anyway and if i break the thing --i ain't lost nothing.

about 10 seconds of cutting and a 7.62x39 round fits perfectly! ironically the 5.56 ejector and extractor work perfectly well with the 7.62x39 rounds to boot!

my head-space looks to be a couple .000s more open yet still in the limits.

the only thing it the bolt after being turned and cut looks a shade thinner in the webs than a factory made bolt so it certainly ain't "stronger" by any means--LOL this is due to the "getto/bubba" way i had to cut and open it up.

i did corner the two lugs near the extractor and trimmed the #7 lug a bit shorter.

i am going to test fire it some time today-- LOL!

Feedback Score

Ive opened them up to 5.45 with great results but aint tried 7.62, keep us informed

Next door to my neighbors house in Michigan
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I have opened up several 5.56 bolts to 5.45 size for use with 9mm with a lathe and either a end mill or a specially ground carbide tool. Takes longer for me to get the ejector out than actual lathe time. How did the test fire go? You could also use the bolt for the 357 sig build you've been wanting to do. Look up .357 rimless. It's made from 223 brass and can run higher pressure than standard 357 mag, which might also get you to 357 sig performance with more standard componets and mags.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

i haven't tested it out yet. hope to put a few downrange today.

the bolt looks better in 7.62x39 as the extra cutting cleaned up the some what 'botchie' job i did making a 5.45 bolt. it looks like it should work.

i am going to test fire some hot yugo, some wolf 154gr and some golden tiger IF it don't break --it is a neat trick!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

fired around 90 rounds of mixed ammo including some wolf 154gr today.

it tosses the emptys 2 o-clock about 4- 4-1/2 feet from where i am standing.

no bent or broke lugs. so far the home made bolt seems to work as good as a factory made one. it is all how long it lasts now- a few hundred or thousand rounds and we will know for sure - call me in 2013!!--LOL!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

You know you can buy bolts for both calibers..... Right?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by PvtPyle View Post
    You know you can buy bolts for both calibers..... Right?

you know this is a place where people MAKE their own stuff right?? go take a fricking flying leap!

Feedback Score

If it works it works, well played j427x.
    Overspecialize and you breed in weakness.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

another 120rds down the pipe. so far so good. aprox 210 rds total of 154 wolf & 122 ygo brass. along with some golden tiger --

it seems to shoot as tight with the home made bolt as the factory job.

so far so good. i think i am going to get some cheap stripped bolts for spares and if i break or crack a 7.62, 5.45/6.8, or even 6.5G i'll tool another one from the spares box!

so far the homemade bolt is going like a champ.

Search tags for this page

There are currently no search engine referrals.
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.